What is this mysterious HFCS?

Options
One rainy Saturday my husband and I were caught in the rain and went to the Dunkin Doughnuts that was separated only by a glass window from the hallway leading to the adjacent Pathmark supermarket. As we were sitting drinking our coffee the people with full shopping cards were marching down to the parking lot allowing us a perfect view of some of the content of their shopping carts and their not too slim figures. It seemed too much of a coincidence that almost every person’s shopping cart contained soft drinks.
As a nation today 32% Americans are obese. Add to that 1/3 of Americans that are overweight, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Weight problem reached epidemic proportions; it affected rich and poor, adults and children, people form every educational and racial background.
The epidemics seemed to occur in the last 3-4 decades.
Could all of us at one acquire bad genetics?
Or did something drastically change in our environment?
Richard J Johnson, MD, the author of the new book “The sugar fix” thinks that the reason for the epidemics lies with increase in high fructose consumption. “Americans consume 30 percent more fructose today than in 1970. Our rising consumption of this sugar begun at roughly the same time that obesity rates in the United States were climbing sharply”.
Dr Johnson goes on explaining that fructose consumption increased due to the wide spread usage of the controversial sweetener called high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS):”which is used in wide variety of processed foods and beverages. If you were to start reading product labels, you’d find that HFCS is also in many foods that might surprise you, such as pasta sauce, yogurt, soups, ketchup and other condiments, and sandwich bread.
In 1970, the average American consumed less than ½ pound of HFCS per year. By 200, per capita consumption of the corn-based sweetener had risen to more than 42 pounds per year”
42 pounds per year of stuff that should make you fat and does not fail to!

Replies

• JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    One rainy Saturday my husband and I were caught in the rain and went to the Dunkin Doughnuts that was separated only by a glass window from the hallway leading to the adjacent Pathmark supermarket. As we were sitting drinking our coffee the people with full shopping cards were marching down to the parking lot allowing us a perfect view of some of the content of their shopping carts and their not too slim figures. It seemed too much of a coincidence that almost every person’s shopping cart contained soft drinks.
    As a nation today 32% Americans are obese. Add to that 1/3 of Americans that are overweight, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Weight problem reached epidemic proportions; it affected rich and poor, adults and children, people form every educational and racial background.
    The epidemics seemed to occur in the last 3-4 decades.
    Could all of us at one acquire bad genetics?
    Or did something drastically change in our environment?
    Richard J Johnson, MD, the author of the new book “The sugar fix” thinks that the reason for the epidemics lies with increase in high fructose consumption. “Americans consume 30 percent more fructose today than in 1970. Our rising consumption of this sugar begun at roughly the same time that obesity rates in the United States were climbing sharply”.
    Dr Johnson goes on explaining that fructose consumption increased due to the wide spread usage of the controversial sweetener called high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS):”which is used in wide variety of processed foods and beverages. If you were to start reading product labels, you’d find that HFCS is also in many foods that might surprise you, such as pasta sauce, yogurt, soups, ketchup and other condiments, and sandwich bread.
    In 1970, the average American consumed less than ½ pound of HFCS per year. By 200, per capita consumption of the corn-based sweetener had risen to more than 42 pounds per year”
    42 pounds per year of stuff that should make you fat and does not fail to!
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    You think you are safe from Fructose overload?
    According to the Corn Refiners Association, food processors may use high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in the following products:
    Asian-style sauces
    Baby foods
    Bacon
    Beer
    Biscuits
    Bologna
    Brandy
    Breads and rolls
    Breakfast serials
    Breakfast meats
    Cake and dessert mixes
    Cakes
    Candy
    Canned fruits and fruit fillings
    Canned vegetables
    Caramel Coloring
    Carbonated beverages (nondiet)
    Cat and dog foods
    Cheese spreads
    Chewing gum
    Chicken products
    Cocoa
    Coffee creamer
    Cookies
    Cordials
    Crackers
    Dessert toppings
    Diet foods
    Doughnuts
    Dried meets
    Egg products
    Fish products
    Flavorings
    Frosting, icing, glazes
    Frozen dinners
    Frozen puddings and custards
    Fruit drinks and juices
    Fruit sweeteners
    Peanut butter
    Pickles
    Salad dressings
    Sauce mixes
    Sausage
    Seasoning mixes
    Vinegar
    Wine
    Yeast
    Etc. etc…

Check your labels!
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    So, yeah, if the diet high in fructose was only affecting the expanding waist lines, that would be half as bad.
    But the weight problem leads to high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, kidney and liver disease, and metabolic syndrome which is a cluster of all health problems mentioned above.

How does fructose cause this terrible damage?

Apparently, high fructose has sneaky habits.
    High fructose does not satisfy your appetite. Dr Johnson explains: ”When you eat most types of sugar, your body responds by producing appetite hormones, which signal your brain that your body has consumed enough food to meet its energy needs. As this occurs, the feelings of hunger subside. But unlike other sugars, fructose escapes the attention of appetite hormones. Because of this phenomenon, your brain never gets the message that your body has consumed a load of calories. “
    No wonder I felt hungrier after eating McD than I was before (It was a looooooooooooooong time ago, but I remember being puzzled by that and avoiding McDs as a plague!)

What’s more – high-fructose foods may interfere with the signaling system that controls your appetite for all foods. “Chronic consumption of sugary foods seems to promote biochemical changes that prevent the brain from receiving messages from appetite hormones – even when you are not consuming fructose”!

Studies show that fructose is not metabolized in the same way as other sugars, and because of that causes rapid weight gain. Once conditioned this way, it may very well sabotage the weight-loss effort, because the body becomes ultra-sensitive to even small amounts of high fructose and resists weight loss!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for explaining all that. I've heard of that book and my mom was trying to tell me something about this same thing just yesterday. Awesome post!
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    thanks, jules!
    sad, but true - just because it is on the shelves in the supermarket, doesn't mean it is good :grumble:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    well, I guess I'l just love on body fat for the rest of the year.!!

Tee Hee Tee Hee

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    With all that stuff on the list, I don't know what to eat....I am feeling depressed now.:sad:
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    With all that stuff on the list, I don't know what to eat....I am feeling depressed now.:sad:
    Oh, no, don't be depressed!
    Just check the labels!
    the list includes foods that can POTENTIALLY include HFCS!
    Not every food has HFCS...

We cannot avoid all the bad stuff, but try to minimize it!

As with everything - do your best and forget the rest.
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid HFCS at all costs. It's in about everything processed, I eat a pretty clean diet so that makes it easier.

Another good source is the Abs Diet Book, there's a good chapter on HFCS and trans fats. 2 terrible things that seem to be in abundance in a lot of food nowadays.

Jess
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i'm trying to elminate HFCS from my diet completely. It is a little daunting and sometimes very very tedious.... however, i feel so much better, my skin looks better, and i don't have many :ahem: digestive problems.

About 2 weeks after i basically gave it up cold turkey, i had a spoonful of JIF peanut butter (i recently have gotten addicted to the natural, organic stuff... yummy) and my stomach was turning for HOURS!

gross.

HFCS is EVERYWHERE!!!
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    I try to avoid HFCS at all costs. It's in about everything processed, I eat a pretty clean diet so that makes it easier.

Another good source is the Abs Diet Book, there's a good chapter on HFCS and trans fats. 2 terrible things that seem to be in abundance in a lot of food nowadays.

Jess

Hey, Jess,
    Unless you really prepare food at home in advance, avoiding HFCS is real hard!

And I really need to get my hands on that Abs Diet Book already!
    I've been procrastinating :embarassed:
    I kinda am hoping to get my abs to thin out, so, maybe today during lunch I'll go grab it.
    Thatks for the reminder!
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    i'm trying to elminate HFCS from my diet completely. It is a little daunting and sometimes very very tedious.... however, i feel so much better, my skin looks better, and i don't have many :ahem: digestive problems.

About 2 weeks after i basically gave it up cold turkey, i had a spoonful of JIF peanut butter (i recently have gotten addicted to the natural, organic stuff... yummy) and my stomach was turning for HOURS!

gross.

HFCS is EVERYWHERE!!!

Chelsey - about PB. I think I am allergic to it (even organic). :ohwell:
    Like, I get weird body pains when I eat P/B.
    So I decided to lay off of it...Sad...I like it....

Read it somewhere about addictive allergies, and PB was one of those. I will try to find it again and post here or as a separate thread, if you are interested...
  • chubzee
    chubzee Posts: 104
    Options
    Ok I will have to admit I had to check out my coffee creamer for this HFCS. and........was thinking...:noway: but low and behold I had a rude awakening.....:blushing: The main ingredient was
    CORN SYRUP ... and thiought is was SF.....
    Thanks for passing on this info. I am still a little unsure what all HFCS is ( I am assuming it is different types of sugars)...but I will be sure to check out.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Yes, we've been avoiding high fructose corn syrup and trans fatty acids for a long time in my household...I think a few items sneak in. However the bulk of our food is free of it..

The cost, having to cook most everything from scratch, read ingredients, and plan ahead.

The benefits, long term health (and many more:wink: )
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is a link between the "western" diet and obesity. It is largely due to foods being high in fat, fast and packed with sugar salt and other ingredients that we wouldn't eat otherwise.

It is not just Americans, it is every country that has adopted the fast paced life and diet. People are wanting ready to go food and expecting it to be healthy and there is no such thing, organic or not, fast is not healthy.

It was reported last week that within 40 years they believe that every person in our society will be at least 40 lbs overweight. The generation of children growing up right now are the FIRST ever generation of children NOT expected to out live their parents. As parents it is our responsibility to educate our children in a healthy way about the fuel needed for our body.

If you want to read about how much our food supply has changed since the 1950's and the fact that since those changes have occurred our waist lines have continued to bust out of the seams you should read "in defense of food" by michael pollan. It is a great resource and makes you realize that marketing makes us want to buy something because it has claims of being healthier (like many of the so called healthier yogurts out there right now) and in reality the pure version is actually healthiest. The more we mess with our food the more health related issues we seem to have.

Quite honestly, we all need to wake up and start demanding REAL food, not boxed, preserved, preservative loaded, corn syrup loaded ,hydrogenated fats loaded ,processed un-food food.

Just my opinion :wink:
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options

Quite honestly, we all need to wake up and start demanding REAL food, not boxed, preserved, preservative loaded, corn syrup loaded ,hydrogenated fats loaded ,processed un-food food.

Just my opinion :wink:

YEs! Lets vote with our walets!

If we stop buying crap, the food industries willl start scratching their heads!
    I think it already happening.
    In NYC some organic foods are not that much more expencive (my observation, not official survey)
    I am taking that as a sign of the power of the consumer!
    What do you think?
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    In general I think this way:

SPEND ON GOOD FOOD - SAVE ON MEDICATIONS AND DOCTORS!

(Works for my acid reflux. I do not take the meds nearly as often as I did in the past!)
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    Oh, and I heard the interview with this dude on Lenard Lopez, NPR, I think: "in defense of food" by michael pollan. I will add that to my list.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Hey, Jess,
    Unless you really prepare food at home in advance, avoiding HFCS is real hard!

And I really need to get my hands on that Abs Diet Book already!
    I've been procrastinating :embarassed:
    I kinda am hoping to get my abs to thin out, so, maybe today during lunch I'll go grab it.
    Thatks for the reminder!

I do make a lot of things at home. It is hard though!! I mean, even ketchup and BBQ sauce are loaded w/ it!! (BTW, Heinz makes a good organic ketchup) And it's more expensive to not eat it. it's worth it for my family though. Even my 9yo checks labels before eating to make sure there's no HFCS!

OH, it's a good book!! Let me know what you think of it. The part on HFCS and trans fats makes a lot of sense, I like the way it's written! I got mine on ebay for really cheap!

Jess