OATMEAL. ICK!!! HELP!

Options
OATMEAL: How do you guys cook it? My trainer said no more instant oatmeal.... HELP!!!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I buy the regular old Quaker Oats in the big cardboard cylinder. You can cook them on the stove in about 5 minutes or in the microwave in 1.5 minutes.

They taste better than instant to me, and don't have all the added sugar and salt of the instant either.

I always make them with water ( I like really thick oatmeal, so I used half to two-thirds of the recommended water amount).
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just add boiling water to plain rolled oats. They thicken up in a minute or two. I generally go for twice the volume of oatmeal in water - ie, 1/4 cup of oatmeal, to 1/2 cup of water, for a thin oatmeal. You can experiment.

I generally add things like cocoa powder, cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger, all spice, nuts, raisins, etc, etc.

Or, you could go savoury.

Missology's recipe for savoury oatmeal; http://miss-ology.com/?p=803
    My vegan version; http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/2011/05/savoury-oats-for-independent-ms.html
    A more Italian version; http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/2011/05/independent-ms-goes-italian.html

Generally, you can add things like chopped lean meat, oregano, parsley, basil, tomato puree, etc.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I should have been more clear...I know how to cook it...how do you FLAVOR it??? I have a hard time w/ this.
  • heidipalmquist
    Options
    1/3 cup oatmeal, 2/3 cup water - put both in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Use the 1 minute quick cooking type of oatmeal. I add 1 tablespoon dried fruit and 1 tablespoon walnuts after it's done.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats. Follow the directions for serving size, water, etc. I usually get it boiling in a double boiler (you don't need to do this, it just helps prevent burning) & let them boil for a few minutes, lower the temperature & put a lid on for about 20 minutes, then turn it off & let it sit. One batch will last for 3 or 4 breakfasts & i usually make it at night so it's ready in the morning.

Flavour: i sometimes cook it with a little dried fruit. I sometimes throw frozen blueberries on before reheating. Once in a while i put a 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar on it, and that is still less sugar than most conventional cereals. You get used to the flavour pretty quickly & it becomes tasty. Typically, i'll put some flax seeds in with it while it's cooking for added benefits.
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Quacker also has 1 minute oats that is super easy. I put 1 packet of sweetner in and a few can peachs on top for extra flavor. My boys put on butter, brown sugar and milk but I don't want to have the extra empty calories! Oh i also love using can't believe its not butter Spray in replace of the butter. Hope that helps You!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    whats so bad about the instant oatmeal?
    I am planning on buying steel cut oats next time I run out of the instant packs anyways because I heard how good they are for you. Just curious about whats bad about the instant though.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I should have been more clear...I know how to cook it...how do you FLAVOR it??? I have a hard time w/ this.

As I added to my previous post;

I generally add things like cocoa powder, cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger, all spice, nuts, raisins, etc, etc.

Or, you could go savoury.

Missology's recipe for savoury oatmeal; http://miss-ology.com/?p=803
    My vegan version; http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/2011/05/savoury-oats-for-independent-ms.html
    A more Italian version; http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/2011/05/independent-ms-goes-italian.html

Generally, you can add things like chopped lean meat, oregano, parsley, basil, tomato puree, etc.
  • Angeladobush
    Angeladobush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I myself can't stand the thought of oatmeal in my mouth......but I do make it for my husband 2 or 3 times a week....I use the Quaker oats old fashioned.....I add cinnamon, agave syrup, sliced raw amonds, fresh berries, and a bit of nonfat greek yogurt at the end.....He loves it and he isn't hungry an hour after he gets to work.....Good luck to you!
  • maryellenruane
    Options
    I take 1/3 of a cup of steel oaks (not cooked) and put in my protein shake every morning. I hate Oatmeal as long as I put in my shake then it's all good.
  • maryellenruane
    Options
    I take 1/3 of a cup of steel oaks (not cooked) and put in my protein shake every morning. I hate Oatmeal as long as I put in my shake then it's all good.
  • GregJennings
    Options
    I flavor my oatmeal with a half tablespoon of sugar-free fake maple syrup. Works for me.
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are the way to go! They have a much nicer texture than rolled oats-not as mushy. I like to add a TBS of almond (or peanut) butter, honey, and banana. It's about 350 calories and keeps me going until lunch.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I prefer regular instead of instant. I add cinnamon and ginger to it and and fresh clementine to in at the end. It tastes great and is better for you then instant. I've also heard you can add cider or apple juice instead of water when you cook it. that tastes good too.
  • kim824
    kim824 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to hate oatmeal but now I love it and miss it if I don't have it for breakfast. I add some blueberries, half a banana and some chopped walnuts. As an alternative sometimes I chop up an apple really small and add it with some chopped walnuts. I have used strawberries and blackberries too. YUM!
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats. Follow the directions for serving size, water, etc. I usually get it boiling in a double boiler (you don't need to do this, it just helps prevent burning) & let them boil for a few minutes, lower the temperature & put a lid on for about 20 minutes, then turn it off & let it sit. One batch will last for 3 or 4 breakfasts & i usually make it at night so it's ready in the morning.

Flavour: i sometimes cook it with a little dried fruit. I sometimes throw frozen blueberries on before reheating. Once in a while i put a 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar on it, and that is still less sugar than most conventional cereals. You get used to the flavour pretty quickly & it becomes tasty. Typically, i'll put some flax seeds in with it while it's cooking for added benefits.

Absolutely!!! it's awsome. taste and texture both more satisfying that regular or instant
  • paintingcrew
    Options
    I usually add raisens/cranberries/fruit bits and cinnamon and stivia and a couple of tablespoons of 2% milk (or Almond Breeze). Pampered Chef has Caramel Sprinkles that only has 45 calories per teaspoon and alot of flavor (I usually use less then a teaspoon).
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I use Splenda in it so save on calories. I like to add raisins, cranberry,apples, cinnamon, a touch of lite maple syrup..
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Good idea. I am afraid of the chunks though but I will give this a try.