Worried about my Dad

Options
2»

Replies

• teresaq1
    teresaq1 Posts: 53
    Options
    Am having the same issues with my dad. He sits all day and had a mild stroke due to his inactivity and poor diet last year. I got him into a seniors card group in his community. At least he goes out know. I also spoke to his doctor on the sly and the doctor prescribed an antidepressant that seems to motivate him a little to at least occassionally do something. I also had to learn to just let some of it go. Worrying is not healthy for you.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when things are too close to home people get scared. Maybe with his mother and his brother he is afraid it will happen to him, but is more affraid that he can't do anything about it anyways. Maybe he thinks it is inevitable so why bother. Do you have people on your dads side that are living healthy that didn't have a stroke. Maybe you could point out the differences in their life after 50.

It is so hard becasue you can't do it for them. Maybe he needs shorter goals or more immediate rewards. Say like if he walks 3-4 times a week for a month you can get his new van detailed. (don't know if you are talking brand new or new used) Be creative. Does he have any other hobbies you could help with a reward system.

You could also offer to grocery shop for him, or with him so he is making better choiced there too.
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your wonderfull suggestions. xx