Any suggestions for the Over 40 woman trying to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I also am using Weight watchers, it's been 3 weeks, and have lost NOTHING! I am 57 and need to lose approximately 30 lbs. I have several problems, one being, I have sleep problems, I go to bed at a decent hour, but toss and turn till 4:00/4:30. During the tossing and turning stage, I get so frustrated, I get up and snack, from making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to having cereal. Recently found the 100 pack Snackwells cookies and Arnold's 100 calorie sandwich thins, and I add a little of Weight Watchers cream cheese. 2nd I want to join a gym but am terrified to walk through the door. Does any of you have any suggestions to help me on my journey, should I talk to my doctor about not being able to drop even a few pounds. I cannot take any sleeping aids as there is a chemical in them that will trigger my restless leg syndrome. HELP!
    Honestly I would quit the WW foods. I think all the low fat and no fat foods are sorely lacking in nutrients and do little to teach us about portion control.

I also have insomnia. It's gotten better since I quit coffee, but I still don''t sleep like others so I don't try. I don't go to bed until 12/12;30. Even then I am often up between 4;30 and 5. My doctor says 5 hours is the minimum we need to function so I'm happy with that.

i would also plan what to do when you are up in the middle of the night.Plan an activity or even leave have a light snack prepared like a bowl of summer fruit. or puree the fruit with a tiny bit of 0% greek yogurt add a few chunks of the whole fruit and freeze. You have a sort of cream popsicle. If the fruit isn't sweet enough add 1 stevia a(not truvia or purvia, real stevia). better yet why not plan a non food activity like doing 10 mins of arm curls or 20 sit ups. You know that you are going to be up so having a plan means you don't sabotage yourself. I would even drink some water. Don't worry about the water causing you to go, you're already up anyway.

Feel free to friend or view my diary. It's not perfect but I try every day to make good food choices.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been yo yoing the same 2 pounds for over two years. I am 5'4", weight 149 and will turn 49 this summer. I can't seem to get the weight off any more. I never struggled with it until the last couple of years. I'm sure hormones are playing a part, but I refuse to give in to the menopause idea of putting 10-20 pounds on. Anyone else struggling with this issue and getting results on MFP? How long did it take you to see more than 2 lbs of weight come off?

46 and losing steadily here! Usually 2 lbs per week although I am set to lose 1lb per week.

It can definitey be done!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I agree you can lose. When I stop playing at it, I lose! It's just so easy to go over on weekends etc :bigsmile:

And I agree that exercise is great for being able to eat more, plus all the other benefits esp, muscle mass!

Eat less, move more. OH, but dont eat too little!! We come from a generation of crash diets!! :laugh: That's bad!!!!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and can relate to a lot of what has been said. For me, the secret to starting the weight loss was lots of cardio, but not neglecting strength training because it builds muscle and helps us maintain bone density, which is a big concern of mine. I'm still playing around with calorie intake to find the ideal fat burning level, but I agree that the math on this site definitely makes sense. My goal - to look better and feel healthier in my 40's than I did in my busy but lazy 30's.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would agree to add a combination of strength training and cardio to your exercise routine. Watch the carbs, eat 3 to 4 "bready" servings a day and make the other carbs be fruits, veggies and dairy. Eat plenty of protein!! That is huge!! Be consistant...you can't have 1 or 2 bad eating days a week an expect weight loss. To lose weight, you have to be consistant every day for 2 to 3 months....you can do it!! I am 42 and lost 100 lbs from the ages of 38 to 39.......and have kept the majority off for 3 yrs! Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand exactly & that's why I'm here. I was getting desperate to get 15lbs off & just "trying" to be good wasn't going anywhere. I thought I was being good but not as good as I realized once I started logging. I am very, very, slowly losing, but that's ok because I feel my habits changing without too much effort. I will never be one to diet much or deprive myself or avoid carbs, etc. I just want to permanently change my habits. I try to get a little excercise everyday now, even if its not a full workout, but I am really seeing my body change even though I've only lost 8lbs. You will do it too if you log. Just be consistent every day without stop. Also if you spend much time on here you will just feel inspired. People are so supportive here. I love logging in & hearing about everyone's victories!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    So, the answer in short version, is to work on your muscles....build them up strong and viola - these muscles will burn off the fat and keep you healthy...

YES!! Strength training has been the key for me too. Cardio alone wasn't doing it for for me; I think it was just pushing an already low metabolism even lower. The half hour or so, 3 times a week, I put in on the resistance machines (Nautilus) in gym got things moving again in a hurry. And though I resisted doing it in the beginning because of my age, it has been surprisingly easy to build up to heavier weights - no harder than I remember from my early 30s. I still do cardio, but only about 150 to 300 calories worth, depending on whether or not I strength train that day. At this age, cardio is more about building up stamina that burning off calories.

I just turned 58, by the way, and did so wearing muffin top-free size 8 jeans. In early January I was bursting out of relaxed fit size 14s.
  • Yogie14
    Yogie14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    LOL,! I'm 41 127 pounds (5 2") and been trying to lose 10-13 pounds for a year! I quit smoking last year and everything went BAD from there!!! Turns out, I think from reading on here I was in "starvation mode" I HOPE!!! I'm now adding nuts to the end of my day! Good-luck to you!!! :)
  • Marinip
    Options
    google the better body system and see if that is something you may be interested in. I also have been struggling with menopausal weight. I have lost over 7lbs in 1 week.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I turn 46 next week and I seem to be gaining and losing the same 5 lbs since the summer. I started my journey Jan 1 at 165. I hit 152 in June - at the start I thought my goal was 140 but after only losing 1/2 pound week for six months and then stalling, it feels like I will never even break 150. I'm 5'7".

The most frustrating part is that I probably eat 1000 calories less a day than I used to. We used to eat out quite a bit - as many as 5 days a week. Any day i didnt have to cook was a good day! I love French fries and anything baked with cheese. Burgers are my favorite - even better with bacon and cheese! The new me eats lean meat (chicken and fish) and a salad for dinner. Lots of veggies and fruit and fiber. I do still have a burger on occasion and eat maybe a 1/4 of the fries. I'm over on sodium maybe once a week and drink 8 glasses of water on a slow day. I work out 4 days a week and my calories are set to 1600. I do eat my exercise calories back. My macros are 45c 25f and 30p. Although I have lost almost two sizes, that scale not moving is really depressing! But I keep plugging away waiting for my big breakthrough! It's got to happen sooner or later, right?