New people with shame issues at the gym

Options
Hi...I wanted to post something on an issue a lot of people have.

When I first signed up for the gym I was ashamed of my weight and body. I was sure everyone was looking at me thinking
"who is she fooling, she wont last" I didnt sign up for yoga,pilates or exercise classes let alone touch the dead weights in the weight room, for the same reason. I mean the girls that are in there are all 120 pounds.

Well one day this all changed for me, and I realiized NOONE cares what I look like, they are concerned with what THEY look like, that is why they are there...well most of them anyway.

I had decided the treadmill was boring and I wanted to kick up my routine. The elliptical machines were very popular so I tried one out.

Well I lasted maybe 5 minutes and thought the oxygen masks were going to fall from the ceiling. But I continued to do my 5 min and increase by 1 min a day for about a week.

The 2nd week I was on for say 10 minutes when a young buff guy stands infront of me (this is what they do when they are waiting for a machine), like "I know this fatty isnt going to be long"

He stood there, staring right at me, looking at his watch. I was so angry...no way I am getting off that machine. That was the 1st time i did 45 minutes..sweating like a pig...feeling like Rocky!

I smiled at him as I got off the machine and said (in gasping breaths) "Hey, bet you thought it was going to be a short wait" He looked bewildered and said " I am waiting for my girlfriend on the machine next to you, I am done with my work out, great job on yours!!"

My point is....go...do your work out.....use ALL the machines...ask for info on lifting the dead weights as they are very beneficial. NO ONE cares...they are actually thinking
"look at that girl over there, that is what I used to be like!" cant wait to see the new you!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

When I first signed up for the gym I was ashamed of my weight and body. I was sure everyone was looking at me thinking
    "who is she fooling, she wont last" I didnt sign up for yoga,pilates or exercise classes let alone touch the dead weights in the weight room, for the same reason. I mean the girls that are in there are all 120 pounds.

Well one day this all changed for me, and I realiized NOONE cares what I look like, they are concerned with what THEY look like, that is why they are there...well most of them anyway.

I had decided the treadmill was boring and I wanted to kick up my routine. The elliptical machines were very popular so I tried one out.

Well I lasted maybe 5 minutes and thought the oxygen masks were going to fall from the ceiling. But I continued to do my 5 min and increase by 1 min a day for about a week.

The 2nd week I was on for say 10 minutes when a young buff guy stands infront of me (this is what they do when they are waiting for a machine), like "I know this fatty isnt going to be long"

He stood there, staring right at me, looking at his watch. I was so angry...no way I am getting off that machine. That was the 1st time i did 45 minutes..sweating like a pig...feeling like Rocky!

I smiled at him as I got off the machine and said (in gasping breaths) "Hey, bet you thought it was going to be a short wait" He looked bewildered and said " I am waiting for my girlfriend on the machine next to you, I am done with my work out, great job on yours!!"

My point is....go...do your work out.....use ALL the machines...ask for info on lifting the dead weights as they are very beneficial. NO ONE cares...they are actually thinking
    "look at that girl over there, that is what I used to be like!" cant wait to see the new you!
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    I felt like that the first few times I went to the gym..

I finally realized that the people there arent making fun of you, and arent betting on how long you last...if anything they are hoping you succeed greatly and are anxious to see your progress and your happiness and confidence increase.

Plus, most of the people at the gym are not concentrated on you, they are concentrated on theirselves and their own workouts.

:happy:

77669.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

What a great story!!! That helps with my self consiousness when I'm trundling down the sidewalk with a 3lb weight in each hand feeling silly!!
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options

good motivational point to this story but seriously LAUGHED OUT LOUD @ his response!!!!!! too funny! but hey, it was the motivation you needed to push yourself so great!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    ..they are actually thinking

That is EXACTLY what I'm thinking! I'm in good shape, but not perfect. . .but I used to nearly die at the gym. Just keep going. That's all it takes. I used to get up at 4:30 to get to the gym when it first opened so no one was there. I could only go for 5 minutes on the treadmill the first time.

Just start and keep going and you will amaze yourself! So True!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Great story!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    so true!

I have gone into the gym and had a young guy say...you are looking so good! then he ruins it with...I wish my mom would come to the gym.......:sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    lol...funny but sooo true. Mam' is the wierdest thing to hear, but some of us are not kids anymore.

There are some people at the gym that are like that. I used to go to a gym where the free weights area was like a country club and god forbid anyone who wander into it without the proper athletic wear or gloves. But that was ages ago and every gym I have gone into since then, most and I mean most people are really just into their own lives, and their own problems and their own self-doubting body images, even the skinny people in the gym.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    so true!

I have gone into the gym and had a young guy say...you are looking so good! then he ruins it with...I wish my mom would come to the gym.......:sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

shocked001.jpg:grumble: :ohwell:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Great stories! You made me laugh, which is always good. Also, I'm so impressed and motivated when I see how much weight you and the others posting here have lost. it really encourages me. By the way, I used to feel intimidated about going to the exercise classes at the Y, which were free as part of the membership. I started out by going to a class for senior citizens (at 54 I am one of the younger ones) and for those new to exercise. The instructor is close to my age and fantastic - I'm so glad I finally tried it. I feel like I am truly conditioning my entire body in a safe and tolerable way. I've even felt empowered to try some of the regular classes, but they are killers.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I signed up for the geriatric version of the aerobics when I first started at the gym.

those old ladies kicked my butt. I was lying on the floor when granny clampett said, honey i am sorry i cant help you but my heart rate will go down!

This was a very motivating moment for me!
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    I signed up for the geriatric version of the aerobics when I first started at the gym.

those old ladies kicked my butt. I was lying on the floor when granny clampett said, honey i am sorry i cant help you but my heart rate will go down!

YOU ARE A FUNNY GIRL!! Granny Clampett....about wet my pants!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ali
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    glad to help with any calorie deficit.....
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Way to go and good for you.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    I know when I first started running the first time (before got sick) and I was about 180, (only 5'3") I had been running on the treadmill at home alone. But it broke and wanted to keep running, so moved to the street... at night so no one would see me running. I couldn't hardly run a couple houses before that same feeling of the masks needed to come down.
    But after a while I wanted to run in the day, but I would go before school kids would be out.
    This time I got back into running after being sick and getting better and back up to 180, I didn't care, I knew I was going to do it no matter what just like you. And when I run (now 157) and I pass kids I think to myself I probably run 5 or 6 miles farther than they can. Specially when they are walking thier bikes up what I think is a small hill and I run past them.:tongue:
    I also know in a couple months they are going to say to themselves, didn't she use to be bigger? Wow, running works!

It is a big achievmant to get past those issues. I use to wear big sweat pants and stuff to, and big giant t-shirts, not any more, if it fits and it works good for running, I wear it!

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! We deserve the best!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Beautifully written and correct story. Most of the gyms I've worked out in have been very supportive atmospheres. But I'm just getting into swimming as an exercise...and I felt the same type of thing. I don't have endurance, I'm panting after a lap. I'm not a swimsuit model body type :laugh:. But I went and it turned out it was ok. I don't think anyone looked twice at me or thought it weird I was there. I can do it.

We can all do it.

~~
    But I do have a jerk at a gym got what was coming to him story....(I've never told anyone before)
    When I was 19 I'd put on a little weight immediately after HS. I moved out on my own and joined a gym. I also started dating a very good looking body builder - but he didn't work out at my gym. Did I mention I lived near Hollywood and my gym was in Hollywood. I was certainly not the "Hollywood type." I didn't have lots of money, barely enough to pay the rent. I didn't have fancy workout clothes, but I was faithful in my workouts and making progress. One day the jerk personal trainer at the front desk spoke to me while I was waiting for my bf to pick me up. The front desk guy started a monologue...so you work out here? Maybe someday you'll have enough money to be able to hire me (he thought he was hot s***) and you'll really start looking good. You trying to be an actress (no...that was not my goal). You'll need a trainer who knows what he's doing to get where you want to go...But you'll have to get a good job to hire me. (He was very patronizing and proud of himself and quick to point out I was struggling to make ends meet and very young.)

At just that moment my bf came in the door, ignored the desk guy, picked me up and swung me around with a kiss. He had just worked out and was ripped and about twice as muscular as desk man. Desk man looked mortified. BF finally noticed the desk guy and gave the most passing nod, and we left. It was a beautiful moment.:heart:

BF ended up moving away, but his legacy was to make me very comfortable in a gym. He also drilled me in the importance of good form and told me to ask the guys on whatever equipment for help and guidance if I felt lost.:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    great story!! :noway:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That just struck me as sooo funny!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    What's funny is when you start a regular routine and you start going at or around a certain time; you end up seeing the same people there. So after a while and depending on how outgoing you are, you usually end up making some new friends or acquaintances. Plus the guys or gals at the new gym I go to are really nice and if I have a question, they usually have an answer and are really nice about it.

I always tell myself that everyone had to start somewhere and those people at the gym had to start once too!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    "you wouldn't care what people thought of you, if you knew how seldom they did"

Its an awesome quote that a good friend of mine always told me... and its so true....
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    "you wouldn't care what people thought of you, if you knew how seldom they did"

Its an awesome quote that a good friend of mine always told me... and its so true....

Oh I lke that one Jackeh. Must use that.

I always have to tell my hubby that the neighbors have their own lawn to mow, they really dont care about ours!!