New people with shame issues at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    "you wouldn't care what people thought of you, if you knew how seldom they did"

Its an awesome quote that a good friend of mine always told me... and its so true....

So gonna use that...... Makes me feel better already.
  • mabarker
    mabarker Posts: 18
    Options
    When I see someone who is very overweight at the gym...I think they are the ones who are really trying hard and I'm fully supportive! I think most people are generally on their own fitness plan and it's always good to see someone who is just starting. It can really make a difference in how you feel day to day. It not only helps with weight maintenance and weight loss...but it helps your mind as well. You will feel more confident as you add onto your workouts. One day at a time!
  • marlajog
    marlajog Posts: 16
    Options
    Great part about the running--
    I have to admit...I am afraid to run on the treadmill:noway:
    I am afraid I will look funny and then fall off. :laugh:
    I am all good with the walking, but would rather on one see me run for the first time until I get my running legs. I still havent decided what to do about this:ohwell:
    Thanks for sharing--:happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I did run....I did fall...and I lived through it all!

I got up, bowed to the folks behind me and got right back on.

One of them came over and pinned the 'stop' clip to my shirt!!!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    So laughing about bowing to the people behind you. I farted in taekwondo loud enough for my neighbors to hear once (gross, I know). I turned to them, said "surprise!" and went back to my workout. It surprised me as much as it did them. Luckily it wasn't smelly.

What else are you going to do?
  • marlajog
    marlajog Posts: 16
    Options

Did it hurt???? I'm afraid I will get hurt falling
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    You are way too funny! I wish I lived near a gym so I could go, but I live in a small town and all the people know why I'm walking, and everyone waves as they go by in their car. I used to be embarrassed to be walking because everyone would know I'm trying to lose weight but now I just enjoy it so much I look forward to my hour before my bus run. But the down side is there are no opportunities to make new friends. Kudos to everyone who runs! I don't think I will ever get to that because it will kill my knee joints but I'm okay with just walking. Have fun with it everyone.
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What a great story!!!!! I definitely don't think you should be afraid to get on the machines or use the free weights in the sections all the buff ones are working out!! They are really just there to check themselves out in the mirror and I really do think that they probably are more impressed with you then you give yourself credit for ~ after all, you are making the effort to get in shape and get to the gym!! Don't let them intimidate you!!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    So laughing about bowing to the people behind you. I farted in taekwondo loud enough for my neighbors to hear once (gross, I know). I turned to them, said "surprise!" and went back to my workout. It surprised me as much as it did them. Luckily it wasn't smelly.

That must have been so funny! :embarassed: :laugh:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness! I don't know if I would've been able to continue if I had been one of your neighbors. I probably would've fallen on the floor laughing my butt off because of your "surprise!". laughing021.gif I'm so childish that way. :blushing:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out I wore the BAGGIEST clothes I could find. I mean, I wore my bf's pants, and he's 11 inches taller than I am. I always wore baggy stuff because I felt soooo huge compared to everyone else. I never looked at other people like 'oh he/she is too big to he bere' because I was too worried about myself! Then one morning when it was HOT and I jogged to the gym (10 mi round trip lol) I wore shorts...and a trainer there said "My goodness, you look amazing! Stop wearing such baggy clothing, it makes you look sort of silly." And now when I go to the gym I don't care what I'm wearing and I don't care how other people look, I just want to be left alone and in 'the zone'. :devil: I think most people are too concerned with themselves to care what others are doing in most cases.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Did it hurt???? I'm afraid I will get hurt falling

my pride was more hurt than my body. My point is if you dont try, you will never know.

Start slow and jog, as you go a bit faster you will get your balance.

Hold onto the handles until you feel comfortable letting go.

DONT listen to music or fiddle with anything.

This is what led to my fall. I thought I was cool setting up my 70's style cassette player and lost my footing.

I am not going to lie, I saw someone fracture their leg falling but they were talking, reading and had a headset on. When they went for the water it was too much!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What a great story!!!!! I definitely don't think you should be afraid to get on the machines or use the free weights in the sections all the buff ones are working out!! They are really just there to check themselves out in the mirror and I really do think that they probably are more impressed with you then you give yourself credit for ~ after all, you are making the effort to get in shape and get to the gym!! Don't let them intimidate you!!!!!

so true. You cant let them intimidate you-they usually dont even know you are there, what with their refelctions glowing from the mirror!!

My good friend was a really buff gym trainer. he said his favorite people were the ladies trying to get their bodies back. he would walk over and offer his help-most were too embarressed to accept but he would gently show them how to do 2-3 exercises with the weights. He loved to see them a few months later with muscles they can see!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    You are way too funny! I wish I lived near a gym so I could go, but I live in a small town and all the people know why I'm walking, and everyone waves as they go by in their car. I used to be embarrassed to be walking because everyone would know I'm trying to lose weight but now I just enjoy it so much I look forward to my hour before my bus run. But the down side is there are no opportunities to make new friends. Kudos to everyone who runs! I don't think I will ever get to that because it will kill my knee joints but I'm okay with just walking. Have fun with it everyone.

Isnt it funny... I bet every one of them was say...geez I wonder if I could walk with her...or I SHOULD be doing that!!
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options

Its an awesome quote that a good friend of mine always told me... and its so true....

Love it!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Love it!!!

I am so using that quote. Printing it and putting it on my mirror in the bathroom. It will help when I put on my bathing suit!!!!! :embarassed: