eggs!

lauraj828
lauraj828 Posts: 45
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
eggs are delicious and nutritious, so i've been trying to eat them more often. does anyone know what the healthiest way to prepare eggs at home would be? i usually just cook them in frying pan with a little olive oil. any suggestions?

Replies

• eggs are delicious and nutritious, so i've been trying to eat them more often. does anyone know what the healthiest way to prepare eggs at home would be? i usually just cook them in frying pan with a little olive oil. any suggestions?
  • Joselem
    Joselem Posts: 50
    I spray canola oil in non-stick pan.... then fry 1/2 cup egg whites (only), 4 halved grape tomatoes, 1/4 cup feta! Dash of fennel ........ Or .......I add 2 tbsp salsa!!! Yum!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I like them hardboiled with some black pepper. No oils added that way. If you have a really good non stick pan you don't need to use the oil when frying/scrambling them either.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    as long as it's an egg, I don't care what form it's in, and whether it's healthy or not, I just love those little boogers....

I'm on an equal protein/carb diet, and don't have a problem with keeping my fat levels or cholesterol levels in check, so I eat whole eggs mostly....egg whites are awesome, but there's nothing as good to me as a sunny side up egg, some hot sauce, and some toast. OMG, I think I'm gonna make some right now....:wink:
  • DebbsHereNow
    DebbsHereNow Posts: 33 Member
    we have 8 pet chickens and we get about 6 eggs a day...so you know we have to be egg lovers here too!:flowerforyou:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    i love egs i eat egg whites cook with pam makes great veggie omelote now im hungry:tongue:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I LOVE EGGS!!!!! I smei-hard boil mine, I boil them for only 10 minutes so they're nice and tender in the middle. I hate dry yolks :sick:
  • Egg whites are the healhiest way to eat them you could make a egg white omelette. Aslo if you want the yolk try your eggs poached no oil or grease that way.
  • Funny, I just had 2 fried eggs. I fried them in my nonstick pan with a spray of Pam cooking spray. THen for flavor, I gave them a sprtiz of "spray butter" and a dash of pepper.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Someone on here once suggested her fave breakfast was an egg white omelet (well, 1 whole egg and then 3 egg whites) with broccoli inside... omh yum! I eat these now regularly, and sometimes for dinner!
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    I hard boil them then smash the 2 yolks with 1/2 tbs kraft mayo the reduced fat and cal kind made with olive oil. i add a dash of garlic powder (Not garlic salt) and pepper and both turn out to be about a 200 cal breakfast full of protien. I usually eat 1/2 cup multi grain cheerios dry with it. YUMMY thanks a lot now I want breakfast.
  • I take some turkey bacon... cook it in the microwave... and then put it in a frying pan.. ( little pieces) then pour eggs whites on top and stir... they cook inside the eggs and the eggs have a hint of bacon taste...
    turkey bacon is 50 calories for 3 pieces.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    why did I read this post?? all my cals. gone for the day and now I want eggs!!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Yummy breakfast sandwich.
    put a little EVOO in pan,
    big handful of spinach, cook until wilted
    add 2-3 egg whites, flip
    add 1 slice fat free american cheese
    put between your favorite bread, my new fav
    Arnold Sandwich Thins whole wheat!
    yummy

I love egg on toast too! But I've been trying to limit my egg yolks.
    And I hard boil a bunch of them and when I want something to munch, I shell one, pop out the yolk, throw it out and eat the egg white with some salt (yeah, yeah, but it's yummy)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I just read an article stating a test showed woman who eat eggs for breakfast lose more weight. Something about feeling fuller due to the protein.

Going to fry some up right now!
  • The healthiest way to cook is to use as little as possible to cook them. Hard boiled is good, but poaching and egg is a great way to enjoy the egg like a fried egg without using oil or butter. Just boil the water good and hot and crack an egg in it and let it bubble around for a minute or so and scoop out. . Whites look like fried and yoke as soft or hard as you like.
    I am glad I didn't eat yet this morning, and checked out the site first. Now I know what I am having.
    SM
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    MMMkay- let me tell u this. I love eggs too. They rock, and they're about the cheapest source of protien on the planet. Anyway, on weekdays/on the go, I eat boiled eggs, one whole plus only the white of one. On the weekends, I eat a lot of 1 egg + 3 white omlettes. My fave is to brown 1/2 a turkey sausage patty (diced) with a spray of Pam and some diced onion. I cook this for a while till the onion is all caramelized and yummy, then I throw in diced tomato and pour the eggs on top. Viola- sprinkle with ff cheese if you like.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    I love eggs-I eat them every morning for breakfast. I like them soft boiled on toast, scrambled with cheese on toast, sunnyside up on toast, and poached on....you guessed it toast! I rarely make omleets, though I love them too, because I can't spend that much time on breakfast in the morning.

I am not a believer in eggs whites only mentality. All the nuturients and flavor are in the yolks. The only time I ever use eggs whites on is when I make Macarrons. I never salt eggs, and if I fry them I use that spray cooking oil so I do not add any fats.

Hardboiled eggs are great for a snack (salt optional), and eggs are great at dinner. I am a breafast for dinner kinda girl :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I love eggs-I eat them every morning for breakfast. I like them soft boiled on toast, scrambled with cheese on toast, sunnyside up on toast, and poached on....you guessed it toast! I rarely make omleets, though I love them too, because I can't spend that much time on breakfast in the morning.

I never salt them, and if I fry them I use that spray cooking oil so I do not add any fats.

Hardboiled eggs are great for a snack (salt optional), and eggs are great at dinner. I am a breafast for dinner kinda girl :laugh:

Haha you're like my egg twin! I never eat omelets, but I LOOOOOOVE toast with eggs, and I would eat breakkie for every meal if I could hehe :laugh: Now I wish I had more eggs, I only have two left! :cry:
  • I just bought the greatest small appliance just perfect for you! It's a toaster with an egg poacher/cooker. You can hard or soft boil 4 eggs at a time or poach one (perfectly round) while you make your toast. Takes only minutes! Only cost $40 and is totally worth it!
    JanCar
This discussion has been closed.