eggs!

Options
2»

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Okay, here come two very stupid questions:

(City Girl Question) -- do chickens lay eggs all year round?
    (Cooking question) -- what's the secret to great hard-boiled eggs? I vaguely remember my mom telling me something about vinegar...or something about starting with cold water...or something...can't...remember...
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i just had a 15 egg white omelet for dinner
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    I love eggs - i could eat them every day. I love mine poached that way I can tell myself they've been fried. When I feel like splurging I cook down 2 in butter with some turkey bacon/ham. deelicious
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Okay, here come two very stupid questions:

(City Girl Question) -- do chickens lay eggs all year round?
    (Cooking question) -- what's the secret to great hard-boiled eggs? I vaguely remember my mom telling me something about vinegar...or something about starting with cold water...or something...can't...remember...

Okay, I have to say, I make GREAT hardboiled eggs. Here we go:

Take eggs out of the fridge so they can come closer to room temp to avoid cracking.
    Bring water to a boil.
    Carefully drop eggs in with a spoon, also to avoid cracking.
    Boil for 10 min.--no longer!!!
    Immediately remove pot from oven and dump boiling water, keeping eggs in the pot
    Immediately run COLD water into the pot, holding it under the water until the pot is cool and the water will stay cold.
    Let sit until eggs are just slightly warm to the touch (a couple minutes).

To perfectly 'undress' your egg:
    Don't let it sit too long!!! Take it out of the pot when it feels skin-temperature.
    Crack a ring around the egg.
    Crack a second ring, crossing the first one.
    Slip your finger under the shell and carefully peel it away--the membrane will hold the shell mostly together.

If you do it correctly, you will end up with a warm, tender HB egg with a beautiful yellow yolk- no green around the outside!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I just read an article stating a test showed woman who eat eggs for breakfast lose more weight. Something about feeling fuller due to the protein.

Going to fry some up right now!

:laugh: lol
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I LOVE EGGS!!!

I spray Pam into a frying pan and then use 1 whole egg, two egg whites, add a can of mushrooms, and sprinkle a little bit of pepper and Tabasco sauce on while I'm cooking. YUM!
  • chubzee
    chubzee Posts: 104
    Options
    I love eggs too....but they don't always like me.
    Somtimes the disagree with my stomach..when I eat them in the morning .Its really strange...somtime they don't bothet me at all......when I cook my eggs I use canola non stick spray . It does not matter how they are cooked...they just somtimes make me nauseated.:sick:
    weird I know....anyone else have this problem?
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love eggs-I eat them every morning for breakfast. I like them soft boiled on toast, scrambled with cheese on toast, sunnyside up on toast, and poached on....you guessed it toast! I rarely make omleets, though I love them too, because I can't spend that much time on breakfast in the morning.

I never salt them, and if I fry them I use that spray cooking oil so I do not add any fats.

Hardboiled eggs are great for a snack (salt optional), and eggs are great at dinner. I am a breafast for dinner kinda girl :laugh:

Haha you're like my egg twin! I never eat omelets, but I LOOOOOOVE toast with eggs, and I would eat breakkie for every meal if I could hehe :laugh: Now I wish I had more eggs, I only have two left! :cry:

I feel you...I only have 3 eggs left for the week :sad: I don't know what I am going to do...
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I just bought the greatest small appliance just perfect for you! It's a toaster with an egg poacher/cooker. You can hard or soft boil 4 eggs at a time or poach one (perfectly round) while you make your toast. Takes only minutes! Only cost $40 and is totally worth it!
    JanCar

What is it called and where can I get one? :smile:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Question for you

What comes first,
    The chicken or the egg?
    The egg of course, the egg is for breakfast and the chicken for dinner.
    :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh:
    Silly I know, but I think it ansers that question well.
  • DebbsHereNow
    DebbsHereNow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    depends on the breed of chicken, we live in PA and some of my chickens laid all winter long