People over 55

Options
Hi ...I am looking for people over 55 for support of each other...with ideas and sharing ups and downs in this journey. I am 57 and stuggling.

Replies

• grammymelPolly
    Options
    I'm 64 and I joined 1 week ago and I lost 3.5 lbs the first week. I find that using the diary is most helpful and the report that show your progress for the last 7 days is a great tool. I will help support and encourage you on your way to a healty lifestyle.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Have I got a place for you! We have a very active thread for women over 50 - check it out, and if you like what you see, just jump in with us!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/229946-women-ages-50-for-may?page=15#posts-3161844
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    WAy to go! I love this site! and thanks for the support.
  • 2youngatheart
    Options
    Have I got a place for you! We have a very active thread for women over 50 - check it out, and if you like what you see, just jump in with us!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/229946-women-ages-50-for-may?page=15#posts-3161844

Thanks for the invite...It looks like a wonderful site!
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 62. I had a couple of false starts but have been using MFP seriously for about 6 weeks. I find the food and exercise diary really helpful. I'm doing pretty well and not finding it difficult really. The main thing was to cut out the alcohol I think. That helped change a lot of other things. I now only drink alcohol when i go out and even then not always.
    Cheers to all
  • 2youngatheart
    Options
    I would like for a group of us to make a plan to be accountable for exercise everyday for 6 weeks....one week at a time. Do you think anyone would be interested?
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Im over 55 and would love a new friend :smile:
  • sue26
    Options
    and yes to the exercise idea - sorry didnt read that post before I posted :smile:
  • 2youngatheart
    Options
    For those of you who would like a place to be accountable for exercise...please met and log it here on Fridays....You can also post weigh in and how you are doing. We are here for support.
  • sue26
    Options
    okay guess this is site 57 - guess i should have checked first :laugh:
  • sue26
    Options
    okay so its Friday:_
    Sat wii fit plus
    Sun wii fit plus
    Mon walk
    Tues Tai chi
    Weds tai chi
    Thurs walk
    Friday wii fit plus
    At least 30 mins each day
    Hope I can keep it up
  • 2youngatheart
    Options
    okay so its Friday:_
    Sat wii fit plus
    Sun wii fit plus
    Mon walk
    Tues Tai chi
    Weds tai chi
    Thurs walk
    Friday wii fit plus
    At least 30 mins each day
    Hope I can keep it up
    Way to go Sue26!

Here is mine....and I hope I can keep it up to.
    Sat. Food Preparation 240 min
    Sun. Walked
    Mon. Gardening and Exercise
    Tue. Pilates & Cooking
    Wed. Pilates
    Thur. Cleaning
    Fir. Circuit Training.
    Looks funny to see Food preparation..but it is on the list! LOL
  • debbiepaints
    Options
    Hi all. I'm 59 years old and on a mission to lose 40 - 50 lbs hopefully by the end of the year. The reality is that at my age, and being female, it's extremely hard without cutting calories down to almost nothing. I am also not going to be running marathons, realistically. I am walking, swimming, and doing some Zumba but I'm not going to kill myself doing these things at my age.

I've set a calorie limit of 1200 calories, but so many of my friends my age are doing the HGC diet and losing tons of weight quickly, BUT they are limited to 500 calories a day! and NO exercise, and it's quite expensive. I really want to lose this weight sensibly and keep it off but its' discouraging to see if come off soooo slowly. I know I did not gain it overnight and since menopause which for me started over 10 years ago it's been a huge struggle to keep weight off. Any suggestions? I am thinking I need to do more protein and less of everything else...years ago I lost easily on Atkins, but I tried it about 9 years ago again and didn't lose a pound. I am just feeling discouraged. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom you have. Thanks!
  • debbiepaints
    Options
    I'm 59 and hoping to lose 50 lbs. Sensibly. It's a struggle at my age, and especially being female!! The weight seems to take forever to come off.
  • 2youngatheart
    Options
    I'm 59 and hoping to lose 50 lbs. Sensibly. It's a struggle at my age, and especially being female!! The weight seems to take forever to come off.
    Hi Debbie,
    I think most of us over 50 stuggle a little more than those younger....but with steady work we do get to our goal. And really, at our age slow is better....less wrinkles :) I eat in the " real" world. I do not want my life to be commited to buying "diet" or special foods or eating those type of foods the rest of my life. I don't want my life to depend on a particular exerice everyday in order to maintain. I am loosing slowly...but I am loosing. 22#''s so far. I usually eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. ...right now I am at 166#'s. I walk and use a pilates machine...and garden. Nothing over the top. I just want a real life. I have read about the HCG diet...and really don't feel it is healthy for your body....even if you do lose tons of weight quick. . If there is any way I can help, just ask. Just take it a day at a time...and smile that one day down...and it was good....and do the same the next. Good luck!
  • sue26
    Options
    Friday - week 2
    Sat gardening (planting potatoes)
    Sun wii fit plus
    Mon walk 30 mins
    Tues tai chi
    Weds tai chi
    Thurs BD so slacked off a bit
    Fri walk 30 mins and gardening (weeding - those darned dandelions ):smile:
  • 2youngatheart
    Options
    Sat..cleaning, pilates
    Sun.walking
    Mon. Pilates, gardening
    Tue. Circuit Training, Gardening
    Wed. Circuit training, cleaning
    Thur. Gardening, cleaning
    Fri. Pilates, gardening
    Ok..we have made it 2 weeks of posting..and we haven't missed a day...contrats to us!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Does it count if I'll be 55 in October.... I am so looking forward to it!! New discounts!!!

Been here since March 11, 2011. Super happy with site and my weight loss. I have arthritis, high BP and cholesterol issues so I definitely have aging issues but I am young at heart and attend concerts, music festivals and love to travel. Welcome and hang in there!! It is never too loate to make these changes!

Love the slower is better, less wrinkles....so right! Our skin is not going to recover at this age. Putting away the dimes and nickels for nip and tuck later!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm over 55 too. So many of the younger posters here think that we have stopped caring about how we look because we're too old to care, too old to care about the opposite sex or much of anything else. They'll find out what I've found. For me, life just gets better and better. I feel good physically and am able to run farther and faster today than I could 10 -15 years ago. I speak my mind now instead of swallowing my feelings. I believe this has helped in my weight loss.

Now, about this HcG. It's been around a long time and like any fad it comes and goes. People who use it really believe in it. I looked into it and as soon as I saw the 500 calorie per day restriction I thought why would you need a hormone? Starving yourself will work without paying anybody any money at all! ;->
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and have lost 27 pounds since February, 2011. I try to stick to the calories they set for me, watch my sodium and walk 20-30 minutes a few times a week. It is working so far. Welcome to My Fitness Pal! :happy: