Is a nap ok after working out?

Options
Vaus2000
Vaus2000 Posts: 16 Member
I go to a 24 hour fitness strength/cardio class on Sat morning. I always feel good after, but I eat lunch and go right into nap mode. Is it ok to nap after working out? It feels like defeating the purpose of work out, which is to get more energy and burn calories. Am I sabotaging my workout?

Replies

• lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I'm all for naps.
  • kissmekates101
    Options
    no not at all just listen to your body, if you need nap and it makes you feel good then take that nap!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    How would sleeping undo exercise? I LOVE naps. If I didn't have to sleep to survive, I would still do it as a hobby. If you're tired, take a nap.
  • Neujewel
    Neujewel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hope there's not an issue w/ taking a nap after working out. With my schedule, I only have time to work out after I put my child to bed at night, after that, I take a shower and go to bed. I'm still losing weight, so I don't see the harm in it :)
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If napping is wrong, I don't wanna be right. ;o)
  • sockmontey
    sockmontey Posts: 19
    Options
    The body needs time to recover. Time advantage of those naps! I know I love mine.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that your body heals from both sickness AND from muscle injury/breakdown while you sleep. And never while you're awake. So yeah, napping after a workout would be awesome! If I only had the time....
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    naps here if you can catch a quick nap go for it... maybe it will give you some energy for a walk later before bed
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this question popped up! After my runs, sometimes I'm so tired I need a good nap. I'm glad it's o.k. *phew*
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Napping is great! It's your body's way of refreshing itself. I only regret that in the hectic pace of the work day, we do not recognize that taking a siesta is a good thing. Sometimes, I "sneak eat" lunch at my desk, and then during the quasi-official "lunch break", I take off in my car to a nearby park and get a quick 30 minute snooze in. In fact, I consider myself a world-class napper, dating back to my college years. When we had decent weather, in between classes, many, many times I would seek out a lonely, shady tree on campus, plop my book bag down, and drift off in total bliss. So I say, nap away.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a weightlifter and trains twice a day 6 days a week she eats breakfast trains for 2-3 hours goes homes eats and drinks what she needs to for recovery takes a nap goes back to gym about 3 trains 2-3 hours eats or drinks what ever it is she does goes to work assistant coach for throwers at high school goes homes naps wakes up eats dinner goes to bed then the day starts all over again yes you can nap
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Although this topic is INSANELY old, I'd like to point out out that when I started at the studio; the first thing after walking home from class is sleep for 2-3 hours.
  • Avalea
    Avalea Posts: 2
    Options
    Well I am glad to see that others snooze after a good workout. I'm usually fine for the first 2-3 hours, but then? Zzzzzzz....... I just need a 30 minute mental checkout and then I'm okay. I'm glad it's a "good" thing. Thanks for everyone's feedback to the OP!
  • Fitness_Dharma
    Options
    Great question! This morning, I woke up at 0400; attended 60 minute spinning class at 0530. I needed a (30 minute) nap around 0845. Naps are definitely essential.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I go to a 24 hour fitness strength/cardio class on Sat morning. I always feel good after, but I eat lunch and go right into nap mode. Is it ok to nap after working out? It feels like defeating the purpose of work out, which is to get more energy and burn calories. Am I sabotaging my workout?
    Exercise gives you moe energy in general. but not necessarily immediately.

If you feel the need to nap, nap.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This thread took a bit of a nap.... but it's back to life.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    One of the most EPIC naps I have ever had was right after a hardcore run!

I run early morning, before getting my kids up before work that way it is done! a stat holiday was coming up mid week and my run buddy said- should we reschedule? make it later in the day? or keep the regular time....

I know me, and if its not at 5am its not going to happen, so we keps the ungodly hour even tho it wasnt a workday.

Once home from the amazing run-its amazing how much more enjoyable a run can be when you know a full workday is not waiting for you- I showered and got a lil chilly.....I climbed back into bed "just for a minute"" to warm up and I fell right asleep for an entire hour! it was epic, life changing, one of those I was clearly dead to the world kinda sleeps.....

I am all for naps!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    naps are good anytime, loveeeee naps!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This thread took a bit of a nap.... but it's back to life.
    Oh frig!
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Omg that's my most favorite thing to do ????❤️