Whey protein for the girls...

Options
Pretty much just this - is whey protein or protein shakes beneficial to us ladies or are they really only marketed to bulky (or wannabe bulky) men?

Replies

• josierenee
    josierenee Posts: 4
    Options
    They are good for us. Most women are not genetically formulated to get "bulky".
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Absolutely they are for us too! I drink 1-3 protein shakes a day! I just don't eat enough fish and poultry! Muscles make you lean, sexy, firm, and thin! They need support!

Whey protein can be a very beneficial supplement to your healthy diet. My favorite is Biochem Sports brand (found on Amazon.com) free super saver shipping! :)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of starting some, need to look into it
  • momwifenurse021406
    momwifenurse021406 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink body by vi which is a protien shake.. I have lost weight but I havent gained any bulk.. I do notice though it has helped in me recover from sore muscles faster, and kept me feeling full longer.
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are definitely not just for the guys. I drink 1-3 daily. My favorite is SciFit Protalyn but there are several good ones to choose from. I always look for an isolate or blend with low fat, carbs & sugar.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Definately for anybody/everybody. It's a great way to get more protein in, esp. if you're on the go, and/or just can't eat that much more protein during the day. I drink at least 1, sometimes 2/day. Helps build up that lean muscle!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I've decided to give maximuscle a go, argos sell a few different ones, will just see how things go
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes it is... however you have to know how much protein you need to consume in a day... to much protein is not good you, if you don't work it off! That's what my doctors told me when i had weight lost surgery.
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for women too. both men and women should be careful to take in protein concentrate instead of protein isolate. the process to make protein isolate is not healthy for the body, it turns you body acidic. And try not to take in too much. It can be hard on your kidneys. I often use protein shakes or bars on days when I am taking in less meat sourced protein.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yes it is... however you have to know how much protein you need to consume in a day... to much protein is not good you, if you don't work it off! That's what my doctors told me when i had weight lost surgery.

You should aim for 1 gm/lb of lean body weight, which for most women, is roughly about 100 gm/prot/day, and most of us don't get anywhere close to that amt. (which is why I supplement). For you Meka, it may be different, b/c you've had weight loss surgery, and that completely alters your digestive physiology, so I would go with whatever your dr. recommends for you.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I'm glad everyone is 'for' protein shakes as my boyfriend and his friend were adamant that it will make me fat! I have a scoop of whey protein with skimmed milk after I run.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    good! I have a whey protein shake with semi skim milk every time I do a weights workout
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    ...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Protein shakes are not evil. They are protein. Easy to eat, easy to digest. I use one or two every day (try to get less than 25%) from powder.

No single macronutrient will make you fail. Lack of effort and discipline will make you fail before a protein shake ever does.

coming from a (wannabe) bulky guy
  • nsciambi
    nsciambi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shakes! My favorite is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Caramel Toffee Fudge. Mixed with a cup of skim milk, it helps me recover from my workouts AND satisfies my sweet tooth.

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been drinking them like I should. A protein shake would be so much better than indulging in a cookie.

And contrary to popular belief, it takes years of dedication, hard work, and the help of the right genes for a woman to become bulky in a muscular sense.
  • oneflexis
    oneflexis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They are good for us! espically after a work out because our body absorbs the protein so fast. i reccommend having it first thing in the morning because after all you body has already gone along time with out food.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nope, they're great! Get one that's natural, no artificial sugars or other ingredients, usually 100-140 calories for a serving, and try it with almond milk for a lower calorie shake (vs. cow milk). I like Pure Protein but I'm switching to Shakeology because it has a lot of added vitamins that I haven't been getting - and it's pretty yummy. It's only 3g less protein per serving than Pure Protein (which is 20g) and if you add extra things, it'll be even higher. Use it right after a work out to help your muscles heal and grow!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shakes! My favorite is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Caramel Toffee Fudge. Mixed with a cup of skim milk, it helps me recover from my workouts AND satisfies my sweet tooth.

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been drinking them like I should. A protein shake would be so much better than indulging in a cookie.

And contrary to popular belief, it takes years of dedication, hard work, and the help of the right genes for a woman to become bulky in a muscular sense.

That sounds good - where do you buy it? Edit to answer I just found it at GNC. :)
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    ...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Protein shakes are not evil. They are protein. Easy to eat, easy to digest. I use one or two every day (try to get less than 25%) from powder.

No single macronutrient will make you fail. Lack of effort and discipline will make you fail before a protein shake ever does.

coming from a (wannabe) bulky guy

Lol - you look pretty bulky so I guess its working. :wink:
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - ok gonna get one to try... will see what I can get here in the UK as I guess most of you are USA and can get better stuff than us ... :grumble:
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I'm in uk, like I say argos do 2 or 3 diff ones