After you drink a soda - Must read article if you drink soda

Options
2»

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    Options
    I, too, am trying to get my DH to cut back on his consumption of Diet soda. He consumes upwards of 6-8 a day (varies between 12oz can and 32 oz fountain - so hard to get a good figure of how much he is actually consuming). My reasoning is dehydration. I think he lacks energy due to constantly being underhydrated. so he will drink several bottles of water a day to offset some, but I dont think its enough.

problem is - read this article...he found this and throws it back at me.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Thoughts?

There are some studies beginning to correlate the consumption of diet soda use to metabolic syndrome. I'm not sure how conclusive those studies are yet. Here's a NY times article that has a link to the abstract of the original study. (Have fun reading the study, if you don't read journal articles regularly they can take a little getting used to,:wink: but you can do it.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/nutrition/05symp.html
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    All I can say is ...I'm sure glad i drink Pepsi and not Coke!!!:laugh:

Pepsi is not any better ....it is still COLA....and I have a co-worker who's grandmother drink 1-2 litres of pepsi a day and she just recently passed away (before her time) due to stomach complications.....
    the key here is to remember that HUMANS created this (pop)......we did not create WATER......I think its simple common sense that something created by man is NOT good for our insides and such!!:ohwell:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options

Pepsi is not any better ....it is still COLA....and I have a co-worker who's grandmother drink 1-2 litres of pepsi a day and she just recently passed away (before her time) due to stomach complications.....
    the key here is to remember that HUMANS created this (pop)......we did not create WATER......I think its simple common sense that something created by man is NOT good for our insides and such!!:ohwell:

I think it was meant as a joke.:smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I, too, am trying to get my DH to cut back on his consumption of Diet soda. He consumes upwards of 6-8 a day (varies between 12oz can and 32 oz fountain - so hard to get a good figure of how much he is actually consuming). My reasoning is dehydration. I think he lacks energy due to constantly being underhydrated. so he will drink several bottles of water a day to offset some, but I dont think its enough.

problem is - read this article...he found this and throws it back at me.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Thoughts?

Okay, I have to admit...that article cracked me up. Aspartame causing Gulf War Syndrome?? Right, it wasn't being deployed and exposed to munitions fire, the anthrax vaccine, and tear gas. It was....DIET COKE AAAGGGHHHHH. :noway:

Even if a couple of these claims have credibility - dehydration for instance - articles that take aspartame to such extreme levels really steal that credibility from claims that might make sense. The problem with studies 'connecting' things is just that--they can't 'connect' anything. Correlation does NOT imply causation...just because two things happen at once doesn't mean that one thing causes another. If I press 'on' on my remote, and in that instance my phone rings, those instances correlate in that I pressed a power button and an electrical device was activated, but it doesn't mean that my remote turned my phone on. But when you're writing something for the masses who aren't familiar with that principle, they assume that high levels of __________ must come from __________.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thank you jlwhelan1 for the reference to the sites on calcium and phosphorous. Very informative! And much appreciated!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Food has a very real impact on our health and it is reasonable to believe the chemicals we put in also have an affect on us.

Absolutely! Eating nutritious balanced meals is so important.
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I think it was meant as a joke.:smile:

It was totally a joke....but maybe not everyone understood it as that. Sorry:ohwell:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options

It was totally a joke....but maybe not everyone understood it as that. Sorry:ohwell:

Don't sweat it honey, I caught on to it!:smile: