If you had to give one tip to a newbie..

Options
What would it be?

Mine: Stick with it, push through, it's a long hard drive, but if you keep up with it, you can do it.

Replies

• titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Drink like a fish...

Water that is...

A gallon or more a day if you can, it helps, trust me.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Believe no matter what investing in you is worth it......s/n drink LOTS of water lol
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Take pictures and measurements at the very beginning! I wish I had.....
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

This, for sure. I waited and wish I hadn't.

Also, to figure out what works best for your lifestyle and your body, it might take some experimentation. It doesn't mean you've failed, it just means you're persevering and trying something a different way.
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    Focus on making healthy changes and becoming a healthier you. The weight may not fall off you immediately , but it Will come off. and by adjusting your lifestyle you are much much more likely to keep it off (vs dropping 10 lb a week starving or doing some crazy fad diet)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Read Michael Pollan's "Food Rules."
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    Definitely do this!

This, for sure. I waited and wish I hadn't.

Also, to figure out what works best for your lifestyle and your body, it might take some experimentation. It doesn't mean you've failed, it just means you're persevering and trying something a different way.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Don't be afraid to try something new; everyone started in the same place as you are now.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you mess up, don't just give up all together. Tomorrow is a new day to start fresh. Everyone slips up once in awhile and it's OK.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium - if I have to choose between higher sodium or higher calories - I choose higher calories, sodium can reek havoc on your weight loss....

The other one that is too important not to mention - you should do the same if not more strenght training as cardio....doing all cardio may burn calories..but strength training burns calories, turns fat to muscle - which burns more calories...and shaves more inches for you!!
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Be willing to make smart sacrifices and changes in order to better your quality of life. It helps out in the long run. =)
  • Teenamarie_36
    Options
    Fiber and Water....can never get too much fiber and water :) stay full and hydrated!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    NO BOOZE! Not because of booze itself but because once you have a couple of glasses of wine, you think 'screw it, I'll have a takeaway' and it all goes out of the window! :sad:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Try new veggies, believe me, you'll get tired of the ones you're eating now if you eat them everyday twice a day. Try to buy a different veggie each grocery trip - and buy 2 or 3 so you can rotate and not get bored as quickly. Same goes for fruit and proteins. Don't just eat chicken, don't just eat fish. You need a variety of nutrients and you do this by eating a variety of foods.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Log everything, even when it's a pain to go and look up the nutrients. Measure portions. And yes, drink lots of water. :drinker:
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    fat isn't evil.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    BE Patient with yourself. you did not gain it overnight , why do you think you can lose it overnight. Slow and steady weight loss from a new healthier lifestyle is the only tried and true way to lose the weight and keep it off.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Figure out for yourself why you chose to start a healthier lifestyle... Family, friends are important to you, but the number one reason you should change your life is because you want it for yourself - not for anyone else. And, remind yourself of this when you're having a crappy day. It helps...
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Do it one meal and one workout at a time.
  • Dagnytaggert
    Options
    Cut carbs and pick up something heavy. And buy Mark Ripetoe's book "Starting Strength" to get stronger and better looking in the process.