If you had to give one tip to a newbie..

Options

Replies

• bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    have some fun and experiment with new ingredients and recipes!! On good foods your cals will go a long way and coming up with new meals and snacks makes it a joy to log the foods rather than a diet :P
  • skinnybitch1987
    Options
    NO BOOZE! Not because of booze itself but because once you have a couple of glasses of wine, you think 'screw it, I'll have a takeaway' and it all goes out of the window! :sad:

:: says while holding what looks like a beer in profile pic lol ::
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    NO BOOZE! Not because of booze itself but because once you have a couple of glasses of wine, you think 'screw it, I'll have a takeaway' and it all goes out of the window! :sad:

im sure thats a pint of larger in your profile picture!?! love it!?!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Avoid negative judgmental baloney at all costs!!! Even if it occurs here on MFP.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty if you slip a little now and then. It's self-sabotage.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Take all advice with a grain of salt & make google your best friend!
  • MsLaurie65
    MsLaurie65 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    BE Patient with yourself. you did not gain it overnight , why do you think you can lose it overnight. Slow and steady weight loss from a new healthier lifestyle is the only tried and true way to lose the weight and keep it off.
    ...so true! And drink water every chance you get....water is the trick, I'm serious!!!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is the only way to REALLY win this race. Lose it too quickly, and it will be back before you know it.

M
  • Loubell83
    Loubell83 Posts: 20
    Options
    WATER!!!

And, it will take time. Just think how many years it took you to get here.

Also, do not be put off by only losing half a pound in a week when you wanted to lose 1-2 pounds - its half a pound closer to your goal!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Dont concentrate on what the scale reads...just exercise for better health
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Weigh in once a week and don't get mental over ounces!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    good post
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Log even the bad days - one bad day can lead to another & so on (well it did with me) then you end up re-losing the weight you had lost & gained back - if I had took my own advice I'd be another 20lbs+ lighter :sad:

Oh and get loads of supportive MFP friends to share your daily journey - I did and can say that it has made a difference :happy:
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    All of the above! :tongue:
    One of the things that works for me - but may not work for everyone - I try to log everything before I eat it. If I really want that oreo cookie, but I make myself log it BEFORE I eat it, there's a good chance I'll change my mind when I see that one oreo cookie is something like 70 calories and 3.5 grams of fat!!
  • Loubell83
    Loubell83 Posts: 20
    Options
    All of the above! :tongue:
    One of the things that works for me - but may not work for everyone - I try to log everything before I eat it. If I really want that oreo cookie, but I make myself log it BEFORE I eat it, there's a good chance I'll change my mind when I see that one oreo cookie is something like 70 calories and 3.5 grams of fat!!

Totally agree with this - lets you plan later meals and makes you think twice!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Nobody is watching you workout, and if they are, perhaps they have admiration for what you are doing.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to remember that you are making a LIFEstyle change, and that it is a slow process. Weight loss, that you keep off, is a marathon, not a sprint. There are no 'easy' answers -- if there were, obesity wouldn't be rampant in our country.
    Good luck!
    Kaye
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Food is your friend, NOT the enemy! Don't be afraid to try new foods that you thought you'd never eat in a million years. You may surprise yourself and find something you love.

Also, be accountable. Read nutrition labels. Counting calories can seem like a chore or a pain in the *kitten* at first, but it's really just simple math. And once you're used to doing it daily you will amazingly remember the caloric values for foods you eat often, making it that much easier. Once you're honest with yourself about the amount of calories in certain foods in regard to how many calories you can eat in a day, it makes making healthier choices easier.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The process you go through to lose the weight will be the same as maintaining your weight once you reach your goal. Determine what permanent lifestyle changes you are willing to commit to and then make those changes to start your journey. Start with just one thing and then make more changes as you progress. The confidence you gain will be incredible!
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Find a lifestyle that works for you, and don't let others (in life or on MFP) make you feel lesser for it. If low carb works for you, awesome. If everything in moderation does? Great! Eating clean is easiest for you? YAY! No one way is right, and no one way works for everyone. Just make sure you are doing it slow and steady :)