Does anyone ELSE have a hard time seeing a 20lb difference o

Options
My family and teachers tell me how much weight they think I've lost.
But 20lbs, doesn't look like ANYTHING at all to me.
I wouldn't have thought I've lost anything if it wasn't for the scale and the way my pants fall off my *kitten* when I walk now.

190lbs.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x327/brunetteftw/1902.jpg

vs.

180lbs.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x327/brunetteftw/180.jpg

vs.

170lbs
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x327/brunetteftw/EWWW170-1.jpg

So.. anyone else have a hard time seeing a 20lb difference on themselves, or is it just me?

Replies

• sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    Options
    i've lost 33 lbs and cant see it at all...i know ive lost it from the way clothes fit but i still feel like i look the same...guess its that idea that u see urself constantly in the mirror and cant really notice...idk
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have trouble seeing it in myself as well, i've lost 19lbs now.
    But i can see a difference in your hips for sure. Keep pushing through and be patient :)
    I would also recommend taking measurements!
  • completebeginnings
    completebeginnings Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can tell. Mostly in the love handle region and in the muffin top region.I have those too but am not brave enough to post pics. I have to loose a lot for anyone to notice. I am one of those people who wears a size 10 when I weigh 135 or 160 it just hangs differently ( not what I weigh now). It is frustrating, but good job and keep going.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    Actually there is a difference. Your belly is much flatter and your waist is better defined. Our own eyes are deceiving. You are doing well! Keep it up!
  • cingerl
    cingerl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way! Looking at a video from November I definetly see the difference in my face and my legs. Now my belly and my chest seem just as big to me. My pants are a lot more loose and my shirts are really big. Now I know what I have to work on. I have 5 more pounds to reach my goal and then it's crunches and toning.
  • fireflydestruct
    Options
    I guess it's just more gradual when you're constantly seeing yourself. You look great :)
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    Your stomach and boobs look smaller. It's hard to notice it on yourself because you look at yourself every single day.
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Okay so if you really want a real life scenario of what you've lost - go to the grocery store and lift a 20 pound bag of potatoes, then you'll give yourself more credit. That's alot of weight. It really is, and when people comment on it - take it as a compliment and simply say "thank you".
    Kp up the gd work~ :o)
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It took nearly a 60 lb. loss before I really saw any difference. That was starting from 350. I could feel it as early as 30 lbs. by pant size etc. But at 60 lbs. I noticed one day how far my belly was from my steering wheel. It use to touch. Awesome day that was!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely a difference...keep up the good work! We're our own worst critics for sure. But, the scale and your pants don't lie...better buy some new slacks, or make sure you're wearing pretty undies, LOL.
  • joyelise
    joyelise Posts: 15
    Options
    I definitely say thank you. Sometimes just am a bit confused on how they see it! Lol.
    Thanks for commenting though.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    the difference between 190-180 is spectacular. the lowest one is slight and probably not too noticeable with clothes on to your own eyes... but certainly other people will be able to see it. great work!
  • path2a6pack
    path2a6pack Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am myself worst critic - its a character thing - some enjoy and appreciate the small achievements and some find it difficult to enjoy even bigger achievements - I struggle with that on many levels - I lost 32 pounds so far but I can only see the fat on my belly still - I know that even when I get ripped lol I will say but my muscles are not big enough and when my muscles get big enough I will say they are not deep enough (get the picture?)
    It took the toring of my knee (ACL & MCL) to appreciate the simple action of jumping, running, or doing a few jumping jacks - some times it takes major loss to make us celebrate the smallest of gifts.
    Hope this helps
  • damwilki29
    damwilki29 Posts: 2
    Options
    I know exactly what you all mean! You have to look at pictures constantly to believe how far you've come. I actually heard a segment about this concept on Science Friday on NPR (nerd alert). I don't recall all the details, but suffice it to say that if you've been overweight for quite awhile and then lose weight, your brain takes a bit of time to catch up to your actual image rather than the self-image it has always created for you.
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    YES!! omg i have lost 24 pounds and i feel like i dont look ANY different. took pics in the beginning and now and i can see a small difference in pics, but looking in the mirror i cant see anything. and it sucks SO much because i feel like 24 is a big number to lose and the fact that i cant see a difference is so defeating :/
    idk i kind of take it like motivating too because i am like well i want to get to a point where i can see a change so i want to work hard to see it.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was having difficulty seeing the changes in the mirror....then my work ID badge broke and when I looked at it, I couldn't believe the difference! I asked if I could take a new pic LOL
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey, my profile pic shows what just 5 lbs of fat looks like. You lost 4 of those!!!!

That is AWESOME!!!
  • mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There's definitely a difference there, and many times because you see yourself everyday, you can't tell. Your waist (which is pretty much the only area we can compare via pics has definitely become more defined, and your stomach is flattening. For me personally, the first changes I could see was in my face, and then my clothes started becoming looser... take other people's word for it... they have no reason to lie about it!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds as well, and I can't see it on me at all. I don't know when I'll notice it (besides my pants not fitting anymore...)

Good work, though!
  • melindainindy
    Options
    Yes... I feel the same way ive lost 74 pounds and people tell me they can tell ive lost but other than how my pants feel and the scale saying a smaller number i dont see a difference I tell people that and they think iam crazy oh yes you know you see a difference my husband has lost 57 pounds yes i can see a difference and my girls have lost 12 and 13 between the both of them and I can see the difference with them but for some reason when i look in the mirror i still see the same person not 74 pounds lighter wish i did though
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!