What yucky behaviour do you see at the gym?

Options
Jain
Jain Posts: 861 Member
Today I was on the next bike to a guy who stunk of beer, but it gets worse. Once her's finished he mopped his chest with some paper towel, then wiped the bike down with the SAME paper. I think he must have heard my say yeww 'cause he stopped on the way out, glared at me, then wiped the bike down properly.

Replies

• sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yuck!!!!! People just generally don't wipe down their machines...really? I just saw you wipe your sweat on your hand and put your hand on the heart rate monitor...I don't need to touch your stank! lol One thing that annoys the living daylights out of me that isn't particularly gross, but, obnoxious is people that sing, out loud, at the top of their lungs to their music - you do realize you are in public, right? I have my music and don't want to listen to yours, esp you singing it because let me tell you what, you are murdering it! :noway:
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thats disgusting! SMDH. I usually see ppl just not wiping down the machines after sweating on them like a sprinkler. I ALWAYS wipe them down before and after I use the machines because Im a germaphobe and I know most machines dont get wiped.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    A girl took the 5 lb weight off one side of my barbell once. Granted I would barely notice the difference if at all, it's still annoying.
  • bellyto5k
    bellyto5k Posts: 26
    Options
    I guess I come from more conservative standards, but I really dont need to see naked women in the locker room. I mean big, small, fat, skinny, shaved, unshaved... really?? I dont need to know ALL about you and your body. I guess good for you for not being shy to strip completely in front of strangers, but take it to a club and make some ones, because I am sure not throwing them your way!! :)
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I rarely see people wiping down the machines at the gym, which is why I now wipe down my machine before and AFTER using it (with separate disinfected paper towels!). I sweat like a monster sometimes, and it skeeves me out that another me could have been using the machine just before! I also saw somebody spit at the gym, that was disgusting.
  • chris5432
    chris5432 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    glad I'm not the only one forced to workout next to obnoxious people at the gym :laugh: My gym pet peeves are people who don't wipe down the equipment after they use it and those who talk really really loud on their phones while using a machine :yawn:
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy using a spin bike who was actually spitting on the floor all around the bike, right in the middle of the gym in the midst of all the cardio machines. Disgusting and inconsiderate.
  • bethsherbahn
    Options
    Ok since you asked the worst i have seen was one day im on the stairmaster and a guy is on a treadmill beside me and i happen to look over at him right at the time he diciced to pick his nose and had a huge nasty booger on his finger OMG talking about throwing up .I barley finished my time on the stairs and then he never got off to wash his hands and hell hard telling what he did with it ???????? NO LIE
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Yesterday there was a guy blowing farts out one after another while doing leg presses. Like, the last thing you need to breathe in when you're out of breath is his anal air.

I came across someone's pile of toe nail clippings on the bench in the locker room once. WTF?
  • Inkedsquid
    Inkedsquid Posts: 42
    Options
    People singing along with their Ipod in the sauna....I like to end my workouts with some nice R & R me time in the sauna....these chicks ruin it for me when they start rapping 50 cent. Come onnnnnnnnnn. :(

Oh and all of these people talking about wiping off equipment before and after use? A REALLY good idea....I got a nasty skin infection once, and the culprit? Germs that dwell on gym equipment...ew.....
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    haha! I guess I am quite lucky at my gym, as people aren't allowed in without a sweat towel.

Also, the main bigger weights are in a different room to the machines, and therefore the loud grunts are contained in that other room! lol
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Yesterday there was a guy blowing farts out one after another while doing leg presses. Like, the last thing you need to breathe in when you're out of breath is his anal air.

I came across someone's pile of toe nail clippings on the bench in the locker room once. WTF?

Haha yes, there are few stinkers at the gym. At least that is what my brother always complains about.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Today I was on the next bike to a guy who stunk of beer, but it gets worse. Once her's finished he mopped his chest with some paper towel, then wiped the bike down with the SAME paper. I think he must have heard my say yeww 'cause he stopped on the way out, glared at me, then wiped the bike down properly.

Ah! Ah! Ah! *nightmares ensue*

I tend to have some flatulence issues when I run (both attic & basement) it's embarassing, but I'm always a good gym buddy & wipe my equipment down with the paper towels and sanitizer spray provided

my gym pet peeve: when people talk on their cell phones while using treadmills. Totally jacks with my focus (which is probably the hardest thing, for me, to maintain)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Not wiping machines down is my number 1. I've been known to comment on it out loud too. There are signs ALL over my gym about wiping down equipment when you're finished using it. I will say "Wow. Apparently, people can't read the signs these days". It usually gets me a nasty look, but oh well. I wipe EVERYTHING down BEFORE and AFTER I use it - better safe then sorry, right?

People who don't wear deodorant to the gym. I realize this IS a gym and people are going to be sweaty and likely not smelling their freshest. But, come on. Roll some deo on before you go in. No one wants to be overwhelmed by your body odor.

Women who douse themselves in perfume instead of deodorant. There's one woman who goes there -- I swear, she must spray an entire bottle on her before she comes in. I have horrible allergies (and am actually allergic to perfumes), so it really makes my asthma and breathing issues flare up when she's in there. Plus, she smells rank once she's worked out and is then smelling of overly heavy perfume and sweat.

People who sit on a machine and talk on the phone or text. Look. There are chairs at the front of the gym - go sit up there.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I was on the ellipitical and a guy started using the machine next to me. He stank of both B.O. and cigarettes and started belching. Really - I thought I would gag, so I stopped my routine, and moved to another machine as far away from this guy as possible. What is it with people smoking still. - Hello, I know it's addictive, but how can someone be so clueless to not understand how bad it is for your health. Yuck.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    omg, I have feel the SAME way about ppl just stripping naked in the locker room. I do heated yoga classes and i'm soaken wet when i get out but I still would rather get changed at home in private. It totally weirds me out to see woman standing there completely naked brushing their hair! cant you put on some clothes to brush your hair?! i dont wanna see it either, young, old, fat, skinny... Even if i had the fitest body of all bodies I would never stand there butt naked brushing my hair.... lmao.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    I guess I come from more conservative standards, but I really dont need to see naked women in the locker room. I mean big, small, fat, skinny, shaved, unshaved... really?? I dont need to know ALL about you and your body. I guess good for you for not being shy to strip completely in front of strangers, but take it to a club and make some ones, because I am sure not throwing them your way!! :)

One time when i was in the locker room, a naked woman asked me if i knoticed bug bites on her body, as if to check her out, wander if shes gay??? not that i have anything against gay people, its that i felt so uncomfortable at that moment, i barely, (No pun intended), glanced her way and said no.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    People who don't wear deodorant to the gym. I realize this IS a gym and people are going to be sweaty and likely not smelling their freshest. But, come on. Roll some deo on before you go in. No one wants to be overwhelmed by your body odor.

Okay, SO, there's a store in the mall by me that sells scratch n sniff t-shirts. How awesome would it be to go to the gym, sweat, and start smelling like york peppermint patty or reeses pb? LOL
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I quit going to gyms just for that reason...exchanging BODILY FLUIDS is very dangerous these days. I think you have to wait a few minutes before germs are dead in the open air, otherwise you better use a disinfectant. When I read that a Fireman died from giving a Baby mouth to mouth from an Infection the Baby had, I realized that stuff that's out here is NO joke. Take precautions, don't sit on your home furniture with those "germy" clothes, maybe even wear gloves to the gym, the Gym has always been a "grungy" place. Be careful!

This isn't a "gym" thing, BUT I saw a guy fix a salad using his hands at the self serve salad bar. He could not wait the 30 seconds for the Server to bring out the utensils. They had to remove ALL of the stuff from the salad bar. THAT was TOTALLY inconsiderate and made Me think TWICE about eating at Buffets, Salad Bars...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand women parading around the locker room naked. I just can't handle it. Sure, while I'm changing, some bits might get exposed or the towel may not wrap around myself completely, but I'm not just strolling leisurely through the locker room buck naked. ewwwww.