I'm giving up already

Options

Replies

• danlyn
    danlyn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. We all have times when we think it would be better to just quit, but you'll just end up being upset at yourself for doing that. Celebrate the little things that you've been able to change. It may take you a bit to get into a new way of eating, but each positive change you make brings you closer to where you want to be. The only way you can fail at this is to give up. NEVER GIVE UP!!!! We are all here to support you. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd be happy to help you! :flowerforyou:
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    You know you can do this for 5 days. Just add another 5 days, then another....This is a healthy lifestyle - not a diet. And we are all here to help you get to that fit, healthy body YOU want. You can do this!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    YOU ACTUALLY LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO TELL THIS THAT CRAP? THEY OBVIOUSLY AREN'T FRIENDS, SO WHY WOULD YOU CARE WHAT THEY SAY? STUFF YOUR FACE, GET HEART DISEASE, DIE A YOUNG AGE, OR GET HEALTHY, YOU CAN'T BLAME YOUR DECISSIONS ON OTHER PEOPLE.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Don`t give up.YOU ARE WORTH IT.
    Don`t look at it as a diet.look at it as changes you are doing in your life.Sometimes we get overwhelmed.look for support here.We`re all doing the same thing.Lots of us have bad days,weeks,but we don`t quit.You can`t be a winner if you quit.
    Hope you will rethink your desicion.
    Good luck.\jane
    YOU CAN DO THIS?1 DAY AT A TIME!!!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    No one can hurt you unless you give them permission to do so!

You said yourself you are negative enough about yourself you don't need to hear it from anyone else. LEARN TO LOVE YOURSELF ENOUGH TO CHANGE! Have you ever seen someone who takes all kinds of comments and harsh criticism and it never seems to phase them or get them down? THEY CHOOSE TO NOT LISTEN TO IT. They hear it but they are not LISTENING to it - they are not AGREEING with those harsh words and anyone who said that to you should be slapped. PERIOD! I saw on your profile where you said it was your MOM who said that to you? Sounds to me like she's got some issues. You should tell her that YOU are a direct REFLECTION of HER! She made you the way you are so if she has anyone to blame it is herself! You do not have to take that any longer. You are a grown woman (I'm assuming, didn't catch your age) and you have the right to choose who you let into your inner private circle. She may be biologically your mother but you don't have to keep her in your life if she's continuing to hurt you in so many ways.

You have to take this one day at a time - and even one meal at a time in the beginning. Don't make too many changes at once or you will feel overwhelmed and that nothing is the same an that it's too hard. Damn right it's hard - if it wasn't why bother? Start by just logging whatever you eat without worrying about counting everything and keep a blog or journal where you can write about how you feel and why you're eating if it's outside of meals. If you're feeling stressed and just eating more write about it. If your hurt and angry about someone or something, write about it. I love to write letters I call "Letters I'll Never Send" because it's in those that I'm free to say all the reactive, responsive, mean and nasty things I'm thinking as they come out whether or not I mean them or how much they'd hurt someone to actually hear. It's such a release!!

Once you have an idea of how much you're actually eating, then you can start to make small changes. If you're sedentary, start to walk 15 minutes a day for a week or two and then start to increase it by 15 minutes. The point is to move consistently, even if the amount of time or distance isn't much. You will get stronger, have more stamina and be able to do more. Give your body a chance. Just being more active even eating however you are now, will help you get your body into weight loss mode. At this point I wouldn't worry about eating back exercise calories because you're not modifying your diet any.

After that (should take 2 weeks to a month to get situated) you can start lowering your calorie intake. Say you're eating 2500 calories a day doing what you're doing now. Set yourself a goal (don't worry about what MFP says) to take off 500 a day and change 1 food item (like switching from white bread to wheat bread). Small steps will take you so much farther and on a less stressful path than trying to change everything at one time. I know. I did this myself. I tried to change too much to fast and crashed emotionally and physically but the small changes did stick with me and now it's all second nature. I'm trying to overeat today and I can't do it to the extent that I want to. I'll be lucky if I hit maintenance levels today after exercise.

This is a "diet" in that you are changing the way you wish to eat, not something you will do short term to lose weight. You will need to look inward and really start to face the things you've been running from for a long long time. You might even need some professional help on that end and that's ok too.

We all need help. If we didn't none of us would be here. None of us would be friending anyone and none of us would be posting on message boards! Your post is a cry for help just like someone who says "I wish I was dead" or "I'm going to kill myself". You've only picked a different weapon.

Please Please Please feel proud that you did this for 5 days!! yes in the big picture, it's not so much but right here and right now - it's EVERYTHING!! Just like a baby learning to walk those first steps are the hardest. There will be times when you fall and even get hurt. But would you stop the baby from learning to walk? NO! You pick them back up support them and encourage them to keep moving! Before you know it they're running all over! You need to treat yourself like a child learning to walk and be patient, loving and supportive of yourself. If you don't love you, who will? In the end all that matters to you, is YOU and yours is the ONLY opinion that really means anything. You have to be happy with who you are no matter what ANYONE (Including mother) has to say about it.

Tell mom you're taking a time out from her. She's done raising you and now it's time for you to fly like she could never teach you!!
    PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself ! YOU are your best cheerleader - if you fall ,get up - if you slip, steady yourself- do not be a quitter :)
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself - because that is what it would be. Not giving up on a diet because it's not a diet. It's about meal-to-meal choices and time management. We all have good days and we all have bad days. The goal is for the good to start to become the norm and the bad days to become little blips in the process. I hope you think twice about your journey to becoming more fit & healthy. I'd be glad to be your friend along the way!! Julie
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Short of starving yourself, I can't see what you would have been doing to make this so unbearable, that after but 5 days you've given up.
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    Don't give up! Prove whoever said those horrible things to you wrong. You CAN do this!!
  • cheleskids
    cheleskids Posts: 12
    Options
    Want to know how many Sundays I said "on Monday, I'm starting my diet"? Want to know how many Mondays came and went before I did? Too many to count.

However, just about 3 weeks ago I told myself I was going to do this and stick with it. I started P90X and watching my calories. In 2 weeks I lost over 7 lbs. I found myself surrounded with people on this site that encourage me in the most amazing way possible. I also got some of my close friends on board.

You can do this. Just get the right support to back you up!
  • awynnjohnson
    Options
    Don't let one person decide your faith. You've gone a week that's great. One day at a time. You are now part of a team. Quiting is not an option. You are not doing it for that person you are doing it for YOU. We are here for you. We've all fell off the wagon before (or we wouldn't be here now) but we dust off and get back on. Don't give up . If you found yourself in a weak moment log on , someone will be here for you.
  • debbiepaints
    Options
    You can do it. No one is perfect and everyone falls off......don't allow whoever said that to you the satisfaction of sabotaging your thinking!........I think you're just emotional right now. Been there. Finally motivated and I keep picturing myself 50 lbs thinner. Wow. Visualization helps. Good Luck to you.
  • Snowy42
    Snowy42 Posts: 48
    Options
    C'mon buddy, don't do it!

I did exactly what you're thinking. I PUT ON another 20-30kg (44-66lbs) when I did... You don't want that do you? 5 days is a terrific start, and I envy you. Keep going, lose that weight, feel better about yourself! Become the envy of everyone around you, make them proud, make YOURSELF proud.

You can do it, you know you want to lose the weight!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    WOW! I almost couldn't believe my eyes! I want to grab you by the hand and pull you away from whomever the nay-sayers are. Tell them to STHU!!! It takes a couple of weeks to break a habit and you're already part of the way there. If you really want to shed some weight...you have come to a great place with MFP... the community is amazing and look around...there are a ton of success stories here... WHY CAN'T YOU BE ONE OF THEM in a few months or 6 months or a year????
  • fiat
    fiat Posts: 17
    Options
    and it's not even been a week. I just got told to "stop kidding myself that I'm ever going to stick to this diet", and y'know what? They were right. Who am I kidding? I'm a greedy pig and five days is nothing in the great scheme of things. So what if I've lasted five days? I feel stupid for ever thinking I could do this. I might as well go stuff my face with food now. I don't know why I'm posting this really. Sorry.
    just because they think this of you and tell you this does not make it true! you can be however you want to be. you can do it and feel good about yourself and they will have to admit they were wrong. even if you already binged you can still get right back on it and be succesful! sending you peaceful, happy, positive thoughtsxo
  • LjbRN
    LjbRN Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't be so hard on your self and don't give up! You can do this and it's a day by day journey if you have made it thru 5 days pat yourself on the back and keep going. You will see results. You can do it!!!
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    HI there,
    According to the BMI tables, at 5 ft 11 in and 158 lbs, you have a normal BMI of 22. I read your profile and the comments you made about your body. Maybe you just need to 'tone up' and look at yourself in a different way. Remember: it's not what is said to you but rather how you react that is important. :flowerforyou:
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm so sorry you feel this way...... it's horrible that someone said those negative things to you. :noway:

I have to say, I have NEVER in my life been able to stick to a "diet"... not ever. I like my sweets, and never
    was really overweight until the last couple years. I always gave up, and kept getting heavier. Well, let
    me tell you, I've lost 17 pounds just by being more active and staying within my calories!! Do I still eat
    sweets?? You betcha!!! I had a small hot fudge sundae yesterday, but I also did alot of walking and was
    way under my MFP calorie goal!! As long as you stay within your calories, you should be good. :wink:

Don't deprive yourself of the foods you love. You can still have some of those things, you just can't go
    nuts on them!! Plus, if you go for a walk, or anything that gets you going, you "earn" more calories
    for the day. If I can do this, YOU can do this!!! Believe me, I'm not good at "diets"..... but I can stay under
    my calories!! I'm around if you need extra support!!! Hang in there please!!! :smile:
  • airdon2
    airdon2 Posts: 3
    Options
    It makes me sad that you feel that way! You are worth it and you CAN do this. It is not about being perfect every day. Just focus on keeping your food log and believe that the voice in your head that says "yes, I can " is louder and stronger than any other! :wink:
  • Mohooper32
    Mohooper32 Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't give up!!!! It is a process, take one day at a time. Don't worry about what people say. Stay focused on getting your health in order. Yes it is hard! Five days is a a wonderful start!!! You don't have to do this alone, We are here for you and to encourage you. We have all been there at some point. Getting healthy is the best thing you can do for yourself. Keep you head up and talk baby steps, we all have to start somewhere! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!