This is a special thread...

Options
2»

Replies

• runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I want to cry! Now he is in a better place though! One of the little girls I watch is on the small side and this is what her doctor suggested.

Pasta tossed with with olive or canola oil and shredded cheese.

Dried fruit - raisins, fruit leathers, and dried bananas are good for weight gain.

Higher calories vegetables include peas, corn, potatoes, yams and sweet potatoes.

Fruit and vegetable juices, may be helpful for weight gain.

Eat more fat, especially butter and cream cheese.

For breakfast you could have:

Eggs fried in butter
    Bagels with cream cheese
    Bacon

For snacks you can usually have more high calorie, high fat foods such as:

Toast with cream cheese or butter
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    Salami
    Organic corn chips with guacamole or layered taco dip (refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, salsa)
    Potato salad with lots of mayonnaise
    Smoothies made with fruit and full fat coconut milk
    Crackers (not whole wheat) with speadable butter

For dinner:

Pork chops fried in butter
    Mashed sweet potatoes made with butter and full fat coconut milk
    Macaroni and cheese made with butter
    Salads with lots of dressing
  • mamaof4
    mamaof4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    He is still young, so you have to remember about nutrition's, but the idea is that he can eat what he wants. Try to offer him fruits like bananas, or avocado, or any other one, because in addition to calories for low weight he probably needs some vitamins and minerals to. Instant breakfast from carnation its very helpful. Its cheaper than Pediasure with this same benefits. In addition you should stir powder milk in everything you can. This adds calories and some proteins to.
    I hope this help.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    These suggestions are fantastic! I was just told he also won't eat too much at one time, so foods that are high calorie in smaller portions would be fantastic. Also, he won't drink pediasure.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    First, I am soo sorry for the little guy...that is so sad..

Anything calorie/protein dense will help...he might be very weak...Whole milk is good; red meat; dates..they are sweet..Bananas too....Bread for the carbs...Cheese..Kids love string cheese...

I think they make some type of drink for babies to help with calories...its looks kind of like ensure..that will probably help especially if he doesnt want to eat..

Poor Little fellow...Prayers have been lifted for him.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    We have an almost 1 year old little boy in the family that has been placed with his grandmother due to his mother neglecting him & starving him. He weighed 14 pounds when he was placed with his grandmother, and the doctor told him he needs to be on a 1500 calorie diet a day, and to basically give him anything that will get him there. She is unsure of how to do that and I told her I would come on here and ask you guys...so, what kind of "menu plan" do you think she should put him on? What are some high calorie foods to give him to reach his goal each day? I am sure I could come up with it on my own, but I wouldn't do as good of a job. Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to say he can't have peanuts or peanut butter.
    I work in social services and have actually seen this happen on more than one instance. Amazingly the human body is incredibly resilient and as long as he has no absorption issues he should be find on a typical well balanced diet. if he cant have peanuts you can buy almond butter instead. mac and cheese (the real kind, not kraft fakaroni) is good and even better if you add a few veggies in it which was a treat for us growing up. Just focus on feeding him a well balance diet and good healthy snacks and the weight should be up in no time.
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    I remember working with a lady that needed every calorie we could get into her.

What we would do is make shakes for her with every meal. Whole milk, powdered instant breakfast, and the fattiest ice cream we could find. We could get the shakes to about 400-500 calories by the time we were done.

We adopted the "if she wants it, give it to her" attitude, because she really needed the calories.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    poor little guy! My daughter loves grilled cheese on whole wheat bread, even at that age I cut it into bites for her. I also make chicken nuggets for my kids (b/c what kids doesn't like nuggets??) in a food processor with chicken breast, eggs and whatever spices... I egg wash them and roll them in panko bread crumbs and brown them off in coconut or olive oil, then finish cooking them in to oven. It takes a while, but they are easy for my toddler to handle/swallow w/o choking where just cooked chicken isn't so much.

I have one with a peanut allergy too, that's rough! Cheese is a good protein source that most kids like. Fatty yes, but the reduced fat ones are good too and kids don't have to worry about that as much anyway. Maybe he'd like yogut?? Or shakes/smoothies with fruit and yogurt?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the posts, but my 1 year old loves avocado and banana blended together. You could even mix yogurt with it.
  • worm5996
    worm5996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    DD has some weight issues. She was around the same weight when she turned one. She is a very healthy eater though. To put on some pounds I have been giving her cheese, yogurt, Goldfish crackers, and cereal for snacks. Cheerios, Honey Kix, and Fruit Loops are her favorite. The great thing about cereal is that it is vitamin fortified. DD's pediatrician also said no juice since it give them a false sense of fulness. So, lots of milk and water. I do give her juice since she won't drink water unless her dad gives it to her. But I do one quarter juice to three quarters water so it is severely watered down. Other than that, she eats what we eat for the most part. She eats breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and sometimes another snack before bed. If he will, let him graze all day long. Just make sure it is healthy foods being offered.
  • theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Make him fat pancakes.. a couple eggs and a little bisquick and milk. You really should speak to a dietician at a hospital. They are going to guide you in the right direction. Also he can have sunflower butter or almond butter.