Calling all Americans!

Options
I've been watching Jamie's American Food Revelation. And from what he's said in the programme Americas food regulations for school say you need a cup and a 1/4 of veggies and fruit, but chips count as a vegetable!
He showed how much fat is consumed in a elementary school and it was revolting, all the food is processed and the sugar in the milk has more than in cola!

I was wondering if this was something that is happening all over the country ? And would you prefer children in the high schools and younger eating processed cheap food or the freshly prepared meals ?

In England Jamie Oliver has taken over the schools and we all have healthy food and drinks, when i started secondary school with the vending machines and burgers and chips i put on nearly 3 stone at 12 years old.
Thought it would make a nice discussion ! Hope everyones well ! x

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is happening all over, mostly b/c of FDA regs / big ag subsidies that make their foods cheap, and the amount of children who get free & reduced price lunch (which means the government is subsidizing almost 100% of breakfasts and lunches in some inner-city and rural schools). That means that the cafeterias are struggling, b/c the government subsidy is only a bit over a dollar per child per meal. It's been this way ever since I was a kid... which is why my mom always packed our lunches. I ate a *lot* of PB&J growing up.

But, you know what, some of those kids wouldn't eat at all without those meals... and are very thankful to have something in their tummies. Having worked in low-income elementary schools, I've seen the hunger that children face, and, if given a choice between nothing and a greasy slice of pizza, I certainly would prefer them to have the pizza.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I think it's a money issue. The local municipalities are broke due to decreased tax revenue and are looking to cut every corner when it comes to public schools. Unfortunately, if they can save a few bucks by serving the kids crap, they will certainly do it.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand, is why on earth parents don't pack a lunch for their kids. Isn't it expensive to eat in the cafeteria every single day? Why do so many rely on the school to provide nutrition to their children? I feel it is my job to feed my kids. Maybe I'm a minority though.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I LOVE his philosophies, but it's a big country and most people are in the 'quick, frozen and cheap' mindset, he's got his work cut out for him.

This is why I send my kids to school with their lunches all but on pizza day which they adore.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's a money thing. I mean come on... where else are you getting a hot meal for $2.50 most are gettig reduced or free lunch so they aren't even paying that much. If you aren't thinking about the nutrition it seems like a steal.
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    Jamie Olivers planning to do what he's done here in America, (not like i'm his best bud like i say it's from the programme) and he's coming in within budget so there's no excuses for schools not to change.

I completely agree, horrible processed food is much better than nothing but it doesn't have to be bad food. It's easier and cheaper, and i don't understand how that can be more important that the health of the next generation.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    What I don't understand, is why on earth parents don't pack a lunch for their kids. Isn't it expensive to eat in the cafeteria every single day? Why do so many rely on the school to provide nutrition to their children? I feel it is my job to feed my kids. Maybe I'm a minority though.

Wow, just...wow.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Isn't it expensive to eat in the cafeteria every single day? .
    Financially, no it's not more expensive. But since we're talking about my son's health and eating habits for the rest of his life so, IMO yes, it's WAY too expensive for him to eat crap.

I will say though that my son does eat school lunch once or twice a week as his school offers a salad bar (all fresh fruits & veggies) as part of lunch AND breakfast.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    In all fairness and to provide a bit of balance Jamies "food revolution" has not been all that successful in the UK (I'm a teacher). Although I think the sentiment behind what he is trying to achieve is hugely positive his approach I think is what causes him to face so much resistance, IMO he comes across as a bit of a know it all. What he has to understand is that schools have so many priorities they cannot invest huge amounts of time and money on his 'big' idea.
  • sawynn82
    sawynn82 Posts: 2
    Options
    Unfortunately, in America, many low income families spend their money on things instead of food for their children. The government schools feel that in order to help the kids succeed in school they must feed them. Too many of these children go to school with rumbling tummies and thus have wondering minds. We used to pick up children from low income neighborhoods and bring them to church (until we couldn't afford the gas anymore). They looked forward to coming because we always served them a healthy, hot breakfast. We heard it many times that we provided the only decent meal they had all week. Government schools are just trying to fill a need with the already small budget they use to pay teachers, keep the buildings maintained, supply textbooks, and now feed hungry children. They are doing a better job at feeding these children unfortunately than some parents are.
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    In all fairness and to provide a bit of balance Jamies "food revolution" has not been all that successful in the UK (I'm a teacher). Although I think the sentiment behind what he is trying to achieve is hugely positive his approach I think is what causes him to face so much resistance, IMO he comes across as a bit of a know it all. What he has to understand is that schools have so many priorities they cannot invest huge amounts of time and money on his 'big' idea.

But surely a school is open to help children no matter what part of life it's in. Schools are there for the kids so they should be helping them in best ways possible. I live down south and all schools that i know with friends and family having attended to Jamies healthy eating plan is in all of them.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Because they're struggling to make ends meet. Many families don't have homes or refrigerators, or jobs... the children are receiving *free* meals at school. You are lucky to be able to provide well for your family. Others are struggling in different ways. It's not helpful to judge them based upon your own priorities.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Many of the kids are on government funded free or reduced lunch programs. It's been a while since I was in public schools (taught at a private school then became a SAHM), but last time I was there I believe the kids on reduced lunch program paid something like .65 cents.

So no it's not cheaper to send food from home.

I agree with you that as a mom it's my job to feed my kids. I think a lot of parents just don't realize how bad the food is. That's where shows like this are good. They make parents aware and get them involved.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Actually, his show got pulled off the air two episodes into its second season. The ratings were awful. I think the network is going to burn off the remaining episodes on Friday nights, sometime over the summer.

I think his ideas are good... in theory. But, no matter how you add it up, his ideas are A LOT more expensive and will probably never happen.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I think it's a money issue. The local municipalities are broke due to decreased tax revenue and are looking to cut every corner when it comes to public schools. Unfortunately, if they can save a few bucks by serving the kids crap, they will certainly do it.

It's not about serving the kids crap just to save a few bucks. It's about being able to afford enough food to fee all the kids. The schools try to be healthy, they do serve fruits and vegetables and low fat milk. Unfortunately, the government doesn't give the schools much money to spend on food, so they have to buy food that fits into the budget. Yes, tater tots are cheaper than sweet potatoes. So, kids get tater tots. They aren't fried, they're baked, so not as bad as fast food. Just still not great. No one wants to vote for a bigger school budget. Until we all start voting yes to school budgets for better food, better tracks, etc, we can't expect a change.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well, from what I remember from school lunches... elementary was given fruit cups (in heavy syrup) but also did get chips sometimes as well. Middle School was a wreck, they didnt seem to have any healthy options. Our highschool had a fresh salad bar open every day but most of the other options were crap (pizza served every day, breaded nuggets, deli bar every day, fries, etc)
    so, yea, my school lunch experiences were crappy for the most part. I hope Jamie gets a hold of our school system before my daughter goes to school!
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    And a sad reality is that some people just shouldn't be parents.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Have you also seen the episode where Jamie looks at the lunches that are brought in by students? Lunchables, neon blue fruit roll-ups, juice boxes, bags of chips, etc were quite common in the packed lunches. Just because it's packed at home, doesn't mean it's healthy.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Right on. BUT in some places the schools won't let the parents pack the kids lunch. This was in the news lately, I think about the schools in Chicago. Too many people believe in the nanny state, and this is where it is leading us. FAT KIDS!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Wow, just...wow.

Yes WOW, she is correct.