Calling all Americans!

Options

Replies

• chasekilgannon
    Options
    That is why I'm definitely leaning towards not having any more children. I have my little girl, and I can provide for her just fine in the food department. I think I'd be slightly concerned on the peer aspect of it, because sometimes kids find anything different to pick on others about. Or maybe I had a shi**y school experience when I was young.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Have you also seen the episode where Jamie looks at the lunches that are brought in by students? Lunchables, neon blue fruit roll-ups, juice boxes, bags of chips, etc were quite common in the packed lunches. Just because it's packed at home, doesn't mean it's healthy.

Yeah, but mommy used a stack of coupons to get those Lunchables for FREE!

*crosses arms*

I think many that do have the financial ability to purchase healthful foods are more concerned about other expenses in their lives, unfortunately. Maybe as Americans we have a twisted viewpoint as to what food should actually cost. Foodstuffs are quite cheap here in comparison to other countries I've visited. We also seem to gripe the MOST about food being "expensive."

I dunno.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    WHile I am happy so many on this thread haven't had to struggle to feed their children, had parents who were incapable of doing so, or been homeless, the lack of compassion is repugnant.

The irony being that so many here are here because they eat/ate too damn much in the first place.

Some parents shouldn't have kids? WTF? Because they need assistance or food banks? last year we had to use a food bank. Last year we NEEDED school funded lunches. Unbelievable.

edited for spelling
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    WHile I am happy so many on this thread haven't had to struggle to feed their children, had parents who were incapable of doing so, or been homeless, the lack of compassion is repugnant.

The irony being that so many here are here because they eat/ate too damn much in the first place.

Some parents shouldn't have kids? WTF? Because they need assistance or food banks? last year we had to use a food bank. Last year we NEEDED school funded lunches. Unbelievable.

edited for spelling

Is it in anyone's best interest to have children when they can truly not afford to provide for them?

Just posing that as an honest question, not throwing flames.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    School lunches in this country are a giant joke. But the food they serve is cheap (due to government subsidies and the fact that it is crap) so it is what the kids get. Sad.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

edited for spelling

I understand where you are coming from. I grew up in a home where food stamps were common and the cheese line was a reality. And as soon as my parents got back on their feet, those were history.

However, I have also seen people go through lines and pay for food with food stamps, then buy alcohol and cigarettes with cash. I have seen my totally government-dependent relative spend a WHOLE check on Avon. So, yes, while some people legitimately need assistance and should receive it - others should not have kids.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Its not as bad in small rural schools, they're more able to actually cook food instead of using prepackaged stuff like you see the kids bringing in to Jamie. I think its important to point out, these schools probably haven't made room in their budgets to pay kitchen help. I worked at a summer camp as a teenager, and it took five to seven of us 3-4 hours per meal, per 500 people. So in a school district like LA, imagine the payroll needed to cook a meal, along with the food cost. Or they can pay a few pennies more, get the prepackaged stuff, and pay a quarter of the staff half of the hours to throw it on a tray.

If you had to administer the LA school district on a limited budget, what would you do?
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    *steps on soapbox*

I teach in a very diverse school district. My high school is a very suburban/rural area where most kids are fortunate enough to not worry about school lunches. That being said, the school lunch options are atrocious! Fried...Fried...Sugar...Pizza..and more fried. I really want to blame some of the 20 lbs I gained in a year on eating that junk everyday for lunch. It makes me sad for the kids. Especially when the Commonwealth of Kentucky only requires 1 year of physical education for high school kids. It only contributes to the growing obesity crisis.

That being said, our inner city school provides FREE lunches for all students. They pay nothing. What's sad is they don't have any better choices either. Basically it's setting up these kids for unhealthy eating habits for life.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I guess I'm behind times, I saw the first couple episodes this season but had no clue they pulled it!:huh: That was a good show that helped people see the reality of what was truly going on in young people's lives in the US. The secrets the schools (Government) didn't want anyone to know publicly. I wonder how much of it was politically based in ending the show, just a thought, I have no idea.

It's unfortunate isn't it that this type of reality show is pulled but so many of the silly unrealistic ones stick around.:noway: That really makes me sad. He was trying so hard to get his message across to as many as he could trying to make parents and youth more aware.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand, is why on earth parents don't pack a lunch for their kids. Isn't it expensive to eat in the cafeteria every single day? Why do so many rely on the school to provide nutrition to their children? I feel it is my job to feed my kids. Maybe I'm a minority though.
    Love your attitude! You're a good Momma :love: in that you care enough about your children to take time out to pack them a lunch and provide them good nutrition. It's teaching them so much, it's something they'll always know now! ! :wink:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand, is why on earth parents don't pack a lunch for their kids. Isn't it expensive to eat in the cafeteria every single day? Why do so many rely on the school to provide nutrition to their children? I feel it is my job to feed my kids. Maybe I'm a minority though.
    Love your attitude! You're a good Momma :love: in that you care enough about your children to take time out to pack them a lunch and provide them good nutrition. It's teaching them so much, it's something they'll always know now! ! :wink:

And people with limited means don't love or care for their children? Please.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Whilst I agree with your point about schools being there to help children I think that primarily it is the responsibility of parents to educate their children on healthy food choices, lead by example by providing healthy balanced food options at home. Far too much responsibility is placed on school to be 'all things' to children and families.

I am not for one minute suggesting that healthy eating is schools is not important - It is BUT first and foremost parents must do their part.

Regardless of the food available if children aren't taught at home how to choose wisely they will always face the same issue around healthy eating.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Because they're struggling to make ends meet. Many families don't have homes or refrigerators, or jobs... the children are receiving *free* meals at school. You are lucky to be able to provide well for your family. Others are struggling in different ways. It's not helpful to judge them based upon your own priorities.

No, she's not "lucky" to be able to provide for her family. She works hard to be able to provide for her family. And it IS helpful to look at someone's priorities when that person's priorities are in the right order, starting with her children. I wonder how many parents who claim they can't afford to make their kids a lunch every day can somehow magically find enough money to pay a cell phone bill every month.

The problem in America is that no one believes in personal responsibility. You breed them, you feed them.
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options

When I went to high school they had wonderful selection of fruits, veggies and freshly prepared meals. You could also get fries on the side for an extra $0.25 or something. So as a high schooler I would buy the healthy tasty lunch and then get the cheap fries on the side to munch on with 4-6 friends. My mother worked at the school and knew exactly what was being served every day, knew that I would make the healthy choice. But it was my own decision to buy the fries. I know some people didn't like what the parents packed for lunch and just went around the table eating other people's food or a friend spotting them the cash to buy some soda, chips or fries. Just because a parent packs a lunch doesn't mean that the kid is going to eat it and just because you eat in the cafeteria doesn't mean it's bad for you.

I agree that it is important as a parent to be and do the best you can for your children, but sometimes it's not possible to achieve this.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Is it in anyone's best interest to have children when they can truly not afford to provide for them?

Circumstances change. Some people will have children when they can afford to provide for them but then something happens and they need a little help in providing for themselves and their family. Death, illness, disasters, loss of a job etc aren't something you can really plan for.
  • Barneystinson
    Options

Circumstances change. Some people will have children when they can afford to provide for them but then something happens and they need a little help in providing for themselves and their family. Death, illness, disasters, loss of a job etc aren't something you can really plan for.

Well, that's understandable, but should have reworded my question: Should one decide to conceive when they do not have the means to provide proper care for their child?
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well, that's understandable, but should have reworded my question: Should one decide to conceive when they do not have the means to provide proper care for their child?
    Completely different question there :wink: It's a difficult one to answer. Me and my hubby have delayed starting a family until our financial situation is better. As I've said to him though, if I get pregnant despite taking precautions then I will not get rid of the baby in any way. However, we're not in a position where we literally couldn't afford to buy food, clothes etc, just in a position where we'd have to be extremely careful what we bought and would have to cut out luxuries. And our financial situation WILL get better, the same can't be said for everyones though.

And you've got to ask what "proper" care is. I would imagine that means different things to different people.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    One issue here is that all of us responding to this thread have internet access and/or smart phones. The folks we are talking about probably don't. And while internet access doesn't necessarily mean we are all better educated than those without internet, I'd guess people without internet have less access to resources, education, etc.

Another issue regarding the condescension and lack of compassion some people are displaying, is the assumption that *your* life and experiences are universal and apply to everyone. The population living in poverty, especially inner city areas, are living the only life they know...because their families have lived it for generations. Get off your high horse and go see what they are dealing with.

And my last comment, Alice Waters, world renowned chef, has done amazing things in Berkeley, CA and could be a model for others schools and areas in how to teach kids about nutrition. The middle school she works with plants a garden, grows their own food, harvests and eats it. Pretty amazing. http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    One issue here is that all of us responding to this thread have internet access and/or smart phones. The folks we are talking about probably don't. And while internet access doesn't necessarily mean we are all better educated than those without internet, I'd guess people without internet have less access to resources, education, etc.

Another issue regarding the condescension and lack of compassion some people are displaying, is the assumption that *your* life and experiences are universal and apply to everyone. The population living in poverty, especially inner city areas, are living the only life they know...because their families have lived it for generations. Get off your high horse and go see what they are dealing with.

And my last comment, Alice Waters, world renowned chef, has done amazing things in Berkeley, CA and could be a model for others schools and areas in how to teach kids about nutrition. The middle school she works with plants a garden, grows their own food, harvests and eats it. Pretty amazing. http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/

On the opposite side of this, there are many who have dealt with inner city youth (I was a tutor for some time) and do have exposure to inner city poverty (Philly, Allentown). Many youth are trapped in a bad situation where the parents do little or care little to support them and they are left to their own devices in adolescense. Many may have behavioral problems, but despite that, educators, tutors, volunteers, etc. are trying to steer them toward a better path. Getting back to the school lunches - YES, they are a Godsend for some who have no other option.

I can say this - there are cases of truly deserving families and there are cases of families having entirely mixed priorities. Simply because a family is receiving public assistance doesn't mean the funds are budgeted to the best interest of the family. Many DO have internet, smartphones, technology, etc. that many of us consider "luxury" goods. These cases may be the examples where the family has some means to take care of their children, but do not. Either by neglecting their nutritional needs for their other debts, unnecessary expenses, etc.

In my younger years living in a fairly rural area, I went to school with a lot of kids living below the poverty line. They were made fun of frequently for being smelly or having tattered clothing. I felt bad for a lot of them - hey, I got bullied just like them but because I was chubby. Sometimes we would take a drive out in the country as a family. I'd see a lot of horribly run down houses and saw my classmates playing outside of some of them. Some of which, funny enough, had satellite dishes and nice trucks, ATVs, dirtbikes, parked next to them - I was young - didn't make a connection until later (see below). When I was aware of how I could help, my mom and I donated used clothing to some local families and also donated goods to the Salvation Army.

One thing that absolutely ENRAGED me about many of these cases, as I got old enough to understand was the behavior of many of the parents of these children. Where did I see them? The bar. Demolition derbies/races. The bowling alley. Drinking away their funding, spending it on $20 pit passes at the demo derby.

Yeah. Neglect your kids, but go blow your money on entertainment. I am judging that observation critically - and I have no regrets for doing it.

That soured my viewpoint of the welfare system and made me just a bit more cynical. I'm happy funding and donations help those in need. I'm very angry some choose to take that assistance and blow it on goods even middle and upper class folk would consider luxuries, not necessities. I've worked in emergency services and see similar stories all based upon what you see when you enter an average home. A lot of materialistic nonsense and luxury items - family is on public assistance. Maybe it's the same story with the middle working class - a lot of show on the outside, a lot of crippling debt to prove it.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What a great topic!

The original issue is: we should be feeding our kids healthy foods. Some of us have the option of packing a healthy lunch. Some of us (not many on this board, I'd wager) don't have that option for a wide variety of reasons: income, location, lifestyle choices, parenting styles, and so on.

I'd stay focused on what's best for the kids as far as the food they eat, and look to find solutions for that. While I agree some of the problems come from parenting styles and lifestyle choices, and those need to get changed, the real issue should remain (in my opinion) what's best for the kids. I have met many parents across all incomes, and there is no group that has a lock on good parenting or even on being good humans.

These are the kids whose jobs are going to pay for your retirement, so it would be good to take care of them. :wink: