Greek Yogurt - thank you MFP!

Options
amandalc980
amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
MFP is my gospel! If everyone on MFP told me to quit my job and move my family to the Canadian Artic I would! In a heart beat! If you say it then it must be the way! (ok I am not that hard core, but I think I am easily swayed)

I read the rave reviews about Greek Yogurt on here, I see it in everyones diary, I think, what is this magical concotion I have not had the pleasure to enjoy? I bought some, its the kind with strawberries on the side to mix in. WOW! I have to say, that is DISGUSTING! YUCK! YUCK!!! My boss kept telling me not to throw up, but quite frankly, the mess looked like I already did. I muscled through half the container because I am cheap and don't like to part with items I spend money on, but I did not enjoy it! Whats the trick MFP!?!?!!? What is the secret to this stuff? Or was this a cruel joke to get me (and other unsuspecting MFPers) to eat something so awful?:huh:

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Replies

• melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I got the yoplait greek yogurt first and found it to be disgusting!

I tried chiobani and love them! Maybe try a few other brands...
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    LMBO!!! :laugh: :laugh: I don't know what kind you had but it was not the kind I eat. I eat OIKOS with caramel on the bottom and it is AWESOME!!! Taste like a dessert to me. Just try another kind because I don't like all of it myself!! Sorry you had a bad experience!! :happy:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    its gross like that to me too! but it kinda reminds me of sour cream, so i substitute it. it has so much protein it makes the slight change in taste worth it - for 90% of things. But for some things the real thing just can't be beat. regular yogurt still has lots of protein and tastes, well, regular. don't torture yourself, silly girl! i have regular yogurt with plain granola every morning and it keeps me full for a LOOOONG time!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    just to be fair, not everything we have in our food diaries is because it tastes good .... it's because its good for u! :wink:

that being said, i eat greek yogurt everday, but i eat chobani PLAIN no fat, and mix in my own fresh fruit (banana, blueberries, strawberries, etc). I cannot eat the presweetened ones or the ones with any fruit what-so-ever.
    I agree with you, they are vile!

Try chobani plain and mix in your own "stuff". If you're a coffee lover u can dissolve coffee and a packet of sweetener in 2 TBS of water and mix it with the yogurt. pretty good as well!
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Get the plain Greek yogurt. It has less sugar per serving. Then add Crystal Light or any other no cal water stuff. Try adding a little at a time that way you don't over do it ( about half a pack). Greek yogurt is thinker and has a sour taste so it may not be for you. I love it with Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered what Greek yogurt tastes like. I always stare at it when I'm at the grocery store wondering if I should try it.
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    Chobani...yummm
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    What brand did you get? IMO Fage & Chobani are the best. If you get plain, you can mix in your own fresh ingredients and sweeten to taste.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Get the plain Greek yogurt. It has less sugar per serving. Then add Crystal Light or any other no cal water stuff. Try adding a little at a time that way you don't over do it ( about half a pack). Greek yogurt is thinker and has a sour taste so it may not be for you. I love it with Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade.

that is a neat tip! i might have to try it :) i do like the texture of greek yogurt.
  • indy2bird
    indy2bird Posts: 13
    Options
    I like the oikos caramel flavor and the honey flavor. It is a little different but I really enjoy it!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Chobani is really good. Oikos is also pretty tasty. Most of the others are pretty gross though (yoplait, dannon....and other knockoffs)
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    I like the oikos caramel flavor and the honey flavor. It is a little different but I really enjoy it!

those are my favs too! yummy! the only yogurt that I can make myself eat!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Ok i have to go to the store today.

Add to shopping list;
    strawberries
    blueberries
    Crystal LIght
    Chobani Yogurt
    Oikos

I tried the Athenos yogurt. I have another one at home, may make my husband eat it so I can see the face he makes. :tongue: What are the health benefits to this curdled mess? My coworker said its all about the protein.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'm a die hard Chobani fan.. I do either the 0% or 2% fat fruit flavored variety and usually also mix in either a smidge of granola and/or fresh fruit. Yummy! I've tried the other brands/varieties out there and some of them are definitely "blech", lol!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Brands tend to be quite different in texture and flavor. I wouldn't give up quite yet! The first time I tried it, I wasn't a fan either, but now I'm OBSESSED. I started with ONLY liking the Chobani brand with fruit such as pineapple, peach, strawberry, blueberry, etc. Now that I love greek yogurt, and look for ways to save money, I can eat pretty much any brand and flavor. I use the plain variety for soooooo many recipes such as potato salad, chicken salad, dips, creamy pasta sauces, tacos, and many more. One last note: ALWAYS mix the yogurt for a few minutes before digging in. This is how to get the creamy texture. Otherwise, the texture remains inconsistent and not as tasty.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    that was my initial reaction too! it was really tart and i didn't care for it.. that was dannon. i tried chobani and oikos and those are much better. but i can't eat them alone.. i usually add strawberries, bananas and granola to naturally sweeten it up. it's delish that way.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt - you need to get use to it. You will need to find some kind of fruit to have with it....

I'm in Canada we have Liberty and some President Choice brand - that I find are so yummy. I normally eat my Greek Yogurt with pineapple slices or some granola.

Trial & Error :wink:
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry you had a bad experience!

I absolutely love the stuff!!! I eat it at least once a day everyday. Now to be fair, I wasn't thrilled with it the first time I tried it. I just thought it was ok. But I did try other brands too. By far, Chobani is my hands down favorite! I really think it's one of those foods people should eat on a regular basis for all the good it does a body.

And.... since I absolutely love caramel, I MUST find Oikos Caramel!!!!
  • phgk
    phgk Posts: 29
    Options
    I didn't like it the first time I had it either...but now, I love it! I feel like it is a treat now, but a healthy one :) IMO the Chobani and Fage is the best. I think someone else agreed also.
  • sgiacherio
    sgiacherio Posts: 50
    Options
    I love Chobani. It's definetly a little different tasting than regular yogurt - but it's much better for you. Less sugar & more protein! The only "trick" I tell people trying greek yogurt is to stir it really well before eating it. I hope you have a better experience. It's soooo yummy!!