People going through a divorce?

2»

Replies

• Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Thanks everyone. I was right about my gut instinct obviously and have been taken for a serious ride. Will make an appointment with a lawyer.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Make sure it's a lawyer whose experience is family law (separation & divorce) and not a jack/jill-of-all-trades. You want someone who is very knowledgeable ... sadly, the divorce experience is as much tactical as it is emotional.

Good luck.

This is very important! Go shopping like you've never shopped before girlfriend! I called every divorced woman I knew and asked them about their attoneys. I had a friend who hooked me up with "the divorce attorney that all the wives of divorce attorneys" used. And my husband hired an attorney that didn't do divorces as a rule. At one point my husband came home and told me to call my "pitbull of a lawyer" off! LOL To which I replied, "But honey, this divorce was your idea. I can't let you down by not playing your game with you. Now, don't be such a sore loser." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Whoa.....You need a lawyer no doubt. He completely taking advantage of you at the moment. In the end, he will get half if you don't get a lawyer involved.

If you are still unsure about a lawyer....at least consult with one for some advice.....to allow this to keep going is going to ruin you in in the end. It sucks but he is not being fair if he is not helping with the bills and wants half still.

Good luck....I truly hope things work out for you and your children!
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Are you legally separated? At the least write up separation statements and have it notarized. Up until the point he left, yes. He gets half. That's fair. Not a day more. He is giving financial assistance, but were you divorced he couldn't ask for half of a years assets on anything. If you're in an apartment that's yours. This house going forward has nothing to do with him unless you destroy it and cost him his investment. Honestly if I was him I'd be making up a contract saying you owe me my half up to when I left :P you also may want to take photos to document it's state just to cero litigation to a minimum.

How many kids do you have? Look at your state laws on support. I've seen women demand more, throw money at attorneys and get half what their ex was forking over just to do the right thing. The law is the LAW. You should be able to get a good solid estimate of what he would be obligated to fork over. If it's like $600 I'd keep that to myself. He can't recoup the difference.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Having been through a divorce with a child involved, I definitely think you need a lawyer. A guardian ad litem (a lawyer that specifically makes sure that your children's best interests are represented) may also be a good idea. If you get a GAL make sure who will pay him or her is in your divorce settlement. My scumbag of an ex tried to make me pay for ours even though she was court appointed. He lost that battle and a few others I'm happy to say.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    I screwed myself, I started my divorce (did my own) waited 4 years to finish it and did not get child support at all during that time.

Get a lawyer at minimum file for legal separation and get the child support, etc worked out.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Definitely get a lawyer. In the meantime, go here: http://leipersforkrealestate.com/divorce-this-house.asp It's my real estate website.

On the left side of the page, there are a bunch of links to short videos which discuss all sorts of issues you need to be aware about in regards to the house (often overlooked by divorce attorneys). It WILL be different in Canada, but at least it's stuff to consider and talk to your attorney about.

Good luck and hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.