How does a triathalon work?

Options
2»

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    There are duathlons: run/bike/run for those of you who don't swim.
    There are also aquabikes: swim/bike for those of you who don't run.

I just did my first tri (a sprint distance) and used my dad's roadbike. I trained on my mtn bike and the roadbike (when adjusted and with the bike seat and pedals for me) made me feel so much faster! There are triathlon specific bikes but if you are trying it out for the first time, whatever you have will likely be allowed. I also just put on my tennis shoes after the swim (because while I am now saving up for my own road bike with the clip-in shoes, I couldn't afford to spend $ on just the clip-in shoes for my dad's bike) so in the second transition, I basically dropped my bike & helmet and took off.

There are also "triathlon suits" which can be worn through all 3 legs. Most have a built in bra and all are tight fitting anyways, so investing in one of those would maybe help fteale? You can always try one on at the store and see how much support it gives you.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Like is swimming last so your not soaked the whole time? What do you do with your googles and swim cap afterward? What about your bike? and running shoes?

-You normally wear swim suits, tri suits, or something light like spandex that dries quickly. You dont run around with a soggy butt all day
    -Swimming is first.
    -You leave your swim cap and goggles at transition areas or in transition bags that are handed to you at each point.
    -Doesn't matter what bike you have. It could be a mountain bike or a $10k bike. As long as it has two wheels, not motorized, etc.
    -You should do a sprint or Olympic length triathlon first. That's what I did..now Im doing the full Ironman!!
    -You can wear vibrams the whole time if you want.
    -For me, a tight swim suit is enough so I dont have to wear a sports bra. I just put on spandex shorts after the swim and add cycling shoes. For the run, I change my shoes and grab a hat. Nothing complicated :)