Frame Size and Healthy Weight

Options
1235»

Replies

• bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I'm marginally overweight by 6.6 lbs. Your ideal weight range-- 144 - 158.4 lbs. (65.5 - 72 kg.). --is based on a formula that calculates what a healthy weight is for most people of your height (68 inches) and frame size (Small).

My goal is 145 so this sounds about right
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight range is 126 - 138.6 lbs. (57.3 - 63 kg.) - I'm 5'5 and my fingers overlap around my wrist. IYep, it sounds about right for me.

i'm the exact same as you! i have a really small frame!

my problem is that i tend to loose weight of my face and it makes me LOOK terrible. eurgh.

i had to cheat = my fingers don't overlap so much as just touch but my fingers are so small i wear kids gloves.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Remember the finger/wrist thing is a rule of thumb. There's other sites out there that measure your wrist via tape measurers for a more accurate number.

Also remember that like most things of this type, being at either end (in the extreme), is going to skew the numbers. Substantially overweight people will likely not get a correct reading...and the same for overly thin people.

I'm really curious what you guys think of this:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html#accurate

This uses a tape to measure your wrist, along with your hips/waist, and forearm. Add in your age, weight, and gender and it spits out body fat percentage.

If it's correct, I'm at just under 20%, which is better than I expected.

Cris

The first site said I'm underweight and this one said I have 26.3% body fat with 30.2# fat and 84.8# lean. So it sounds like I'm an underweight fat person who needs to build more muscle. :) 26.3% is a lot isn't it?
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This is really dumb....

Yes if you are larger, most likely you have extra weight around your wrists as well. Don't you think when you lose weight, the size of your wrist will shrink too? Hence, making the "body frame" test obsolete?

Just saying..

I lost weight and my watch became very loose. Initially my fingers barely touched at 165+ lbs, now at 127 they overlap...imagine that!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This is really dumb....

Yes if you are larger, most likely you have extra weight around your wrists as well. Don't you think when you lose weight, the size of your wrist will shrink too? Hence, making the "body frame" test obsolete?

Just saying..

I lost weight and my watch became very loose. Initially my fingers barely touched at 165+ lbs, now at 127 they overlap...imagine that!

Now...where does it say you should be? I'm betting you're very close to the range you should be in.

That's what I was saying above...it seems to be quite inaccurate at, particularly...the higher end of the scale...and the closer you get to your optimum...the better I'm betting it works.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This is really dumb....

Just saying..

And the BMI is better? If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Like I stated EARLIER in the post, my wrists are about the only part of me that DOESN'T have fat on them. They're the same size they've always been. I wasn't saying this would work for EVERYONE.

I did a Body Fat test just because I was curious, put in my measurements for female and the body fat percentage was almost 50%, put in the same measurements for male, and it was closer to 25%.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I just did mine!! My fingers don't touch around my waist, so I am a large frame-5'8...It says my ideal weight is 164-180!!! Which is too true. Me at 160-180(my high school years) I was very fit, and I looked and felt great!!! 160 is my personal goal weight!!!