Summer of Change Student Edition (Week 1)

Options

Replies

• MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My goals are to lose 10-20 pounds over the summer, to just be more active overall, to eat LESS (I eat mostly healthy... just TOO much).... but most importantly my main goal is to find a balance between my 11 medications and my daily routine. I've switched meds so often the past couple months that my body is all messed up. I take so many medications because in addition to other health problems, I had a kidney transplant in January (and one last January... but that failed). My meds cause weight gain. I've always been big, but the exercise and eating well that most people can lost 50 pounds with causes me to gain a pound, or hopefully maintain the same weight. It's really not fair. :-(

Summer class and working two part-time jobs keeps me always on the run, but I'm hoping to really kick butt this summer in terms of my health! :-)
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    I loved reading through everyone's goals and different challenges for the summer. I'm very inspired. :) AND I am going to open up my food diary...which makes me nervous beyond belief. I am most certainly not the perfect eater and hopefully this will help to maybe, kind of, change that.

My goals for the summer are realistic, C25k plus bike rides because I live in the middle of nowhere and a lovely little lake is about five miles away- perfect for riding the bike there. I've been focusing on my eating habits for the past few months and have succeeded in lowering my calories so it's time to work on really pushing myself to exercise. 25 pounds in three months is definitely doable. :)

I was thinking maybe everyone could post some history on themselves, a getting to know one another sort of deal?

Also, if you haven't read Catcher in the Rye already, it's my favorite book ever and would highly recommend it. I'm a sucker for older books though.
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I loved reading through everyone's goals and different challenges for the summer. I'm very inspired. :) AND I am going to open up my food diary...which makes me nervous beyond belief. I am most certainly not the perfect eater and hopefully this will help to maybe, kind of, change that.

My goals for the summer are realistic, C25k plus bike rides because I live in the middle of nowhere and a lovely little lake is about five miles away- perfect for riding the bike there. I've been focusing on my eating habits for the past few months and have succeeded in lowering my calories so it's time to work on really pushing myself to exercise. 25 pounds in three months is definitely doable. :)

I was thinking maybe everyone could post some history on themselves, a getting to know one another sort of deal?

Also, if you haven't read Catcher in the Rye already, it's my favorite book ever and would highly recommend it. I'm a sucker for older books though.

The Catcher in the Rye is one of my top 10 books. :-)
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join this challenege if its still open. Just finished finals and looking to refocus! :) lemme know!
  • kayladiane5
    kayladiane5 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'd love to join this challenege if its still open. Just finished finals and looking to refocus! :) lemme know!

Sure. I'm up for taking another person. This challenge isn't hard to manage.. The more the merrier!
    Just reply to this post, completeing the challenge.. And also post your name, major/minor, age, sw,cw and gw and why your joining this team.
  • kayladiane5
    Options
    Hey everyone. I've read over all of your posts so far, and everyone seems really motivated and a lot of you want to lose about 20 pounds and get fit. So I'll be looking up some videos and workouts for next week.

Here's my post..
    My goals..
    I just want to be a healthy weight... or at least in range of a healthy weight. Like sweetage123, I don't really care if I'm super skinny or not. I don't wanna be a twig. I have been overweight my entire life. Freshman year I was between 180 and 190 when I first started playing field hockey. Senior year I was between 200 and 210.. The beginning of this year I was between 210 and 220. Right now I am at 220 and by the end of the summer I would like to be at 200. Within one year.. I wanna be a healthy weight.
    I am trying to stay within MFP calorie range. I exercise almost everyday (running, biking, lacrosse, walking, swimming etc) I am an extremely active person, so if I don't do a hardcore workout.. I feel super lazy.
    Chelseelovesyou- if you started a group for running, id totally join
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    Love everyone's goals and challenges!
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    My short term goal for this summer is to lose about 50 lbs. It sounds like a lot, but I am going to focus hard and just work work work! I would love to be under 200 at the end of the summer.

My long term goal is to fit into a size 8, it has always been my goal size. I love to feel healthy and fit and be able to buy dresses off the rack at the mall and have cute things in my size. I love fashion, I just never fit it.

Ah! I dream of fitting in a single digit sized dress/pants. I love meeting fellow Art Majors! What's your concentration?
  • alexandrarae90
    alexandrarae90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I already posted my goals but I just want to say that I love reading everyone elses. Please feel free to request me as a friend and talk to me! My whole thing is that I NEED to be part of a community to stick with this or else I will just give up. So the more friends I have, the better ! :)
    I think we're all going to do pretty well. I LOVE reading so I love that people are posting summer reads. I definitely recommend The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I am reading the second book in the series and it's amazing. (the beginning of The Girl W.The Dragon Tat is kind of boring and confusing.. but don't be discouraged. KEEP reading. I PROMISE it gets hard to put down.)

xo Alex
  • kristalm74
    kristalm74 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I'm totally new to this whole deal, just actually started today! Woohoo!! One step closer!! First off, I'm a single Mother of two wonderful babies, I have a 2 year old and a 6 week old! So honestly getting a work out in has been hard, especially the last few weeks. (If anyone has tips to get a work out in somewhere that would be awesome!!) Anyways, my goal for the summer is to lose all the weight I gained with this last pregnancy, which would knock me down to just around 200lbs, which would be awesome...so that means losing 30lbs!! I know I can do it, just need that boost to actually do it!! My long term goal...which would most definetly take me past summer is to get to 150lbs, which is around what I was before I got pregnant with my first!!
    My goal this week is to figure out how to fit in a work out between taking care of a typical two year old while still fitting in some sleep from being up all night with a 'newborn'!

Good luck everyone! We can do it!
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    The Catcher in the Rye is one of my top 10 books. :-)
    Hooray :D
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My short term goal for this summer is to lose about 50 lbs. It sounds like a lot, but I am going to focus hard and just work work work! I would love to be under 200 at the end of the summer.

My long term goal is to fit into a size 8, it has always been my goal size. I love to feel healthy and fit and be able to buy dresses off the rack at the mall and have cute things in my size. I love fashion, I just never fit it.

Ah! I dream of fitting in a single digit sized dress/pants. I love meeting fellow Art Majors! What's your concentration?

3D modeling and Metalsmithing
  • jbrod19
    jbrod19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    heyy everyone!!

i have a few short-term goals:
    - stop drinking diet coke!! (i drink about 1 per day which is so bad for you! i am going to try to limit myself to 2 per week as a start)
    - limit alcohol -- my friends and i go out A LOT, which is fun but alcohol calories add up quickly and is probably a large part of my weight gain
    - gym 5-6 times per week

my long(er) term goal is to be 145 lbs by the end of the summer, which means losing 20 more lbs, and my long term goal is that once i am at that weight to be able to stay at that weight and not gain it back (continue a healthy lifestyle)

in terms of books, i also suggest A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini -- so good! he also has another book called The Kite Runner that I would definitely recommend!

feel free to friend me!! i love meeting new people :)
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I just finished my senior year of college yesterday. I'm student teaching in the fall and trying to look my best for it! Of course, that means getting in shape! I would love to join this group =)
  • misjesica
    misjesica Posts: 21
    Options
    heyy everyone!!

i have a few short-term goals:
    - stop drinking diet coke!! (i drink about 1 per day which is so bad for you! i am going to try to limit myself to 2 per week as a start)
    - limit alcohol -- my friends and i go out A LOT, which is fun but alcohol calories add up quickly and is probably a large part of my weight gain
    - gym 5-6 times per week

my long(er) term goal is to be 145 lbs by the end of the summer, which means losing 20 more lbs, and my long term goal is that once i am at that weight to be able to stay at that weight and not gain it back (continue a healthy lifestyle)

in terms of books, i also suggest A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini -- so good! he also has another book called The Kite Runner that I would definitely recommend!

feel free to friend me!! i love meeting new people :)

We have the same short terms goals! My friends LOVE to go out drinking on the weekends, but every time I drink I go over my calorie limit :( so I need to avoid it altogether, but its so hard when that's what everyone else is doing. I also drink way too many diet sodas. It's been a steady progression of switching from regular sodas to diet, and now I need to go from having one every day to maybe 1 or 2 a week.
  • misjesica
    misjesica Posts: 21
    Options
    In reply to sarac: I like crystal lite packets! Eventually I want to try and drink as little artificial sweeteners as possible, but I still think it's way better than sodas!
  • kayladiane5
    Options
    So we are nearing the end of the week, onto the weekend, and approaching our first weigh in.. How is everyone doing?

I know I need to focus my diet more, and remove the bad food.
  • abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey! Is it too late to join to this team? I just finished my first year of college and would LOVE to be in a group with other students my own age :)
  • believeinmagic
    Options
    Is it too late to join in? I need a little motivation to keep me going through the summer :)
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Let's go week 1! It has been a crazy week for me, but I AM LOVING IT!