People who do not watch their carb intake?

Options
Was wondering if anyone online doesn't watch their carb intake like a hawk? Are you still losing weight?
I'm a vegetarian, and I mostly just watch calories, i eat 1200-1400 per day (unless im zigzagging) I work out alot, my carb intake is usually about 100-150g per day and my protein around 100g and my fat around 30-40g.

Obviously I do watch my carb intake so an extent, I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or any processed carbs (unless im treating myself to a pancake on my high zig zag day), I get most of my carbs from my morning breakfast cereal (100% wholegrain shredded wheat), fruits and veg.

Is there anyone else out there who is just watching their calories, not into the whole eat less than 30g of carbs a day obsession and still losing weight at a good rate?

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I dont watch it at all. I make sure that everything I eat is good and healthy for me, no junk. If its high in carbs, than so be it! Ive lost plenty of weight not watching it!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't watch mine at all and I've lost 55lbs. I do try and eat my carbs earlier in the day so my body has a chance to burn them off, but sometimes I go on a carb binge later at night. I seem to be doing just fine. :)
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    I track my carbs, but I don't restrict them. I very rarely go over, though. Same with fat. Every now and again I see them in the red, but it's so rare I don't worry about it. I'm a pretty firm believer in calories in, calories out.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't go crazy over carb counting. i just make sure I reduce my carb intake as the day goes on. Still losing weight.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my carbs. But I'm not a vegetarian and I do try to eat whole grains more than refined stuff. I don't watch my fats either, but I avoid fried food. I am sure you will do fine with just keeping in line with healthy food in the right amount. You'll need to focus on protien, though, so your body can build up some nice muscles.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I keep it under 120 grams each day, but it can range anywhere from 60-120. I don't proactively think about it. Ive lost weight consistantly without a hitch.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Less than 30 carbs per day? I doubt that many people here are that obsessive. Most of the people you will find here are here to lose the weight in a healthy way, which includes a moderate level carb intake much like yourself. Carbs are healthy and needed.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I don't really watch mine either. Vegetarians (and vegans like me!) have a really hard time with a low-carb plan - and really, it's all about balance and cutting carbs isn't sustainable in the long-term.

EDIT: and I get almost all (if not ALL) from whole grain sources and sugar in fruit.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I dont watch it at all....... Im not over a lot, but I dont care when I am.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Yup. There are plenty of people who simple make sure they eat reasonably and still lose weight. There's no reason to restrict your carbs to severely low levels. If you do a lot of endurance/intense cardio, it can actually backfire by not providing enough quick-access energy if you eat too few carbs. I try to avoid the processed carbs as much as possible, but recognize that carbs are good fuel that my body *needs* given that I also like to run. I've lost about 50 pounds so far (my ticker shows less because I re-set it).
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't watch them either. I wouldn't want to live if I had to give them up. Bread FTW!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 30g carbs a day is not an obsession. I eat more than 30g a day but still watching your carbs is not an obsession. just like you watch your calories, others watch their carbs.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I mainly watch sugar and calories. I don't worry about natural sugars though such as ones in fruits and vegetables. I don't worry if I go over in protein or carbs, I don't like to go over in sugars, but sometimes it is inevitable. 1 piece of fruit can put you over sometimes.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, you don't need to restrict carbs to lose weight. I'm at around 35-40%. I could go higher, but this is a good ratio for me in terms of how I like to eat. I eat oats and whole grain bread pretty much every day. I consider pasta a good carb. I do limit the simple carbs like sugar and white/processed stuff as much as possible (although I do take 1 tsp of sugar with my oats every day around 11:30am).
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have it on my journal but I don't set out to be under.

I focus on Calories and Sodium...

Calories are KING

In order of importance to me...

Calories - Sodium - Fat - Carbs - Protein - Fiber (these last two idk about lol...I don't mind going over protein and if I go over Fiber I generally have bowel issues so they get watched but the first two are the main ones I AIM to be under on)
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I monitor my sodium and my calories. That's about it.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've not watched them since I started MFP and I'm losing. But now that I am eating better I don't really miss it. It just kind of stopped being a craving on its own.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't really watch it. I focus on total calories. However, I do try to make choices to limit then when convenient but I don't fret when I have them.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I don't watch them either. I wouldn't want to live if I had to give them up. Bread FTW!

Bread FTW indeed! I'd die if I could have a sandwich.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    To lose weight all you need to watch is your calories. Everyone has different goals and tracking your nutrients (carbs, fat, protien, sodium, etc.) is very important for some peoples goals :)