What food has shocked you?

Options
124»

Replies

• Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    One slice of Sprouts' Seven Grain Sprouted bread - 90 calories, great fiber, 4 grams of protein, and totally tasty! All breads are not created equal.

My biggest food surprise was a good surprise. I found out that red wine is not a diet disaster and that I can safely indulge in a glass once or twice a week without destroying my diet.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker, which some people have already said though, was tortillas. They are killer!

Try CarbSmart high fiber wraps. They're around 100 cals / each I think, much lower in carbohydrate.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    Before I learned about calories and stuff, when I was trying to be healthy I would make a sandwich for lunch out of:

Two slices of Costco 8 grain bread (which is 160 cals per slice!!!)
    Mayonnaise (I was naive and had no idea this was not a health condiment)
    Mustard (this was fine)
    Lettuce (fine)
    Three slices of ham (no huge deal)
    Thick slice of cheddar cheese (I had no idea cheese was high calorie...granted i didnt know anything about calories or nutrition)

I would have a big ole handful of pretzels and a banana with this and that would be a lunch. Holy crap! It's no wonder I never tried to be healthy for very long, because I never saw any results.

When I counted calories religiously it really opened my eyes to the fact that you can't just avoid pizza and fried foods and expect to get skinny, haha. I learned a LOT. Pretty much everything shocked me - but mostly carbs. Potatoes, pasta. Cheese was a shocker, and pretty much everything. I was also shocked at how low cal vegetables are. I really used to think that there were only two categories of food - fried/greasy or healthy. Not so much.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    My Biggest Shockers:

Cheese- 3 slices of cheddar like that you'd put on a cracker - 110 cal
    (alot of other cheeses are high cal too)

Granola- I have seen all natural "healthy" granola cereal for like 240 cal a half cup....A HALF CUP.. really ? sniff :cry:

The ever sad peanut butter discovery.... and nothing tastes as good as real PB.. although PB2 isn't horrible.

I think those were my main ones..... maybe besides realizing how many calories I actually put in my cup of "innocent" coffee... Coffee creamer... :frown:
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The bread at Subway!!! There are more calories in the flatbread vs. The regular french bread. Who knew!
    Oh and 170 in a 1/4 cup of roasted almonds which I thought was good for you, but not so much due to the sodium. ;/
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The huge amount of calories in nuts. Sodium in soups, frozen foods/dinners, pizza, & pasta sauce. How low in calories some packaged gravies are, and how low almond milk is in calories. Oh and sodium in breads!
  • hayley_m
    hayley_m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    definitely avocados!! i looooooove them but they are such high calories for such a little portion!!
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Basil pesto...1/4 c = 230 calories!! Better off to have the alfredo?...

Sundried tomato pesto is 90 calories for 1/4 c.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    granola bars. I love 'em, and knew they were calorie dense, but daaaamn that's a lot of sugar! I started baking my own. granola lovers might want to consider doing so, too....
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One slice of Sprouts' Seven Grain Sprouted bread - 90 calories, great fiber, 4 grams of protein, and totally tasty! All breads are not created equal.

My biggest food surprise was a good surprise. I found out that red wine is not a diet disaster and that I can safely indulge in a glass once or twice a week without destroying my diet.

Exactly to both points.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    White mochas. I knew off the top of my head the calories in a hot chocolate and a frappuccinio but it never occurred to me that the white mochas would be SO much more.

:laugh:
    I used to work at starbucks. i know all of the calorie cutting tricks.
    Think of it this way: the small has 3 pumps of syrup and the large gets 2 good 5 pumps. Each pump is about a tablespoon. So you have over 1/4 cup of yuck in a large. You can ALWAYS ask for less pumps of syrup and ask for no whip. My favorite trick though is to order a coffee with 2 pumps syrup and leave room for cream. Lighter on the wallet and the waistband.

Oh and by the way, unless specified whenever you get two flavors and don't specify half pumps, you will get full pumps of each. Example: lg peppermint white mocha= 5 pumps white mocha, 5 pumps of peppermint, two shots of espresso, milk and whip. While you can always ask for skim milk, you can see it won't really help you much.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    granola bars. I love 'em, and knew they were calorie dense, but daaaamn that's a lot of sugar! I started baking my own. granola lovers might want to consider doing so, too....

i find it almost impossible to find a granola bar that is vegan without it feeling like i am trying to chew a cinderblock. it seems ironic that this little hippy is having such troubles finding granola bars. I make my own too now.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Every single burger at Islands Restaurants. The Veggie burger (alone) has 690cals, the Kilauela 1560.:sick:
  • stephraposo
    stephraposo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Corn
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The amount of sodium in cottage cheese and the carbs in almonds. Almonds are good for their protein and healthy fats, but I have to limit them to make my carb goal.