Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Don't know what to think about this

Here's the set up...
I recently purchased a hrm watch that also counted calories burnt. I decided that I was going to wear it at work and see what the results would be. I do want to say that I work in retail management and am constantly on the move. It was a pretty slow day today and here are my results...

10 hours and 9 minutes of work
Burnt 8996 calories
My average heart rate was 132
My max heart rate was 185

Even after this, I'm not tired and a little hungry where a granola bar could fix and only consumed 2005 calories today.

Replies

• ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    wow lol....definitely looks off :P working like that you'd have to be eating all those calories just to maintain your weight haha
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    I don't have a HRM yet, and I am sure others with more experience will reply. However, from what I understand the HRM isn't intended to be worn all day, just for exercise.
  • Ynnep1000
    Ynnep1000 Posts: 24
    That's the funniest thing I have read in a while. You'll waste away to nothing at that rate! I think something is wrong with your HRM, or the settings are off? Just a thought......
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Heart Rate Monitors are only able to calculate calories expended when you are at a fitness level heart rate. They calculate the calories expended using a series of mathematic equations that just don't work when you are at a resting heart rate. You would have to purchase a BodyBugg or something similar to calculate daily calories expended.

At least that was my understanding of it! :smile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    That would be almost 15 calories per minute which is a HARD work out... and if your HR only got up to 185, I don't believe it. HRMs are not meant to be worn for things other than exercise and don't give an accurate reading when used during anything other than. I would say you could take half of it for about 8 calories per minute, and then subtract your BMR and log it. Or just seriously bump up your activity level if your set on something low.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    my HRM totally sabotaged me...it said I burned WAY more than I did, ended up gaining weight...now it's just an expensive timer...I still use MFP for my calorie burn
  • ddonkeys
    ddonkeys Posts: 56
    My resting heart rate is around 105 and was a constant 140+ most of the day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but walking at a fast pace by it self is considered a work out to a lot of people and that is the smallest thing I do. I just wanted to add that since the only time my heart raate was at a resting rate was when I was on my lunch break. I do understand that hrm are not ment to be worn all day but when you are constantly on the move lifting, pushing, and pulling all day its deffinately not resting.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    An HRM without a chest strap is not very accurate to begin with. And no HRMs are intended to accurately calculate cals burned when you're not in an aerobic state.

Might help to read this blog that explains how to use HRMs, how not to use them, and what you can expect from different kinds/brands.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    My resting heart rate is around 105 and was a constant 140+ most of the day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but walking at a fast pace by it self is considered a work out to a lot of people and that is the smallest thing I do. I just wanted to add that since the only time my heart raate was at a resting rate was when I was on my lunch break. I do understand that hrm are not ment to be worn all day but when you are constantly on the move lifting, pushing, and pulling all day its deffinately not resting.

What is your activity level set at?
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Here's the set up...
    I recently purchased a hrm watch that also counted calories burnt. I decided that I was going to wear it at work and see what the results would be. I do want to say that I work in retail management and am constantly on the move. It was a pretty slow day today and here are my results...

10 hours and 9 minutes of work
    Burnt 8996 calories
    My average heart rate was 132
    My max heart rate was 185

Even after this, I'm not tired and a little hungry where a granola bar could fix and only consumed 2005 calories today.

OK, i don't have a HRM yet, but i feel i can certainly say that this in not an accurate reading of actual calories burned. from what i understand, HRMs are really only designed to record calories (estimate the wearers) if you are working out...where your heart rate is raised above what it normally is - outside of your day to day activities. am i wrong? i think something like a Body Bugg is more along the lines of doing what you did today, but with a LOT more accurately.
  • ladyhawk00

It's still not going to be accurate at all. Wrist HRMs simply won't give you good info, especially in that situation.
  • ddonkeys
    The activity level might not have been set, but that's why it was an "experiment" today. It is set now for my low at 115 max at 155. This can be changed. Any advise on what I might want to set it at. And yes, I am using a chest strap along with the watch.
  • ladyhawk00
    Ok, you said HRM watch, so it sounded like no strap. :tongue:

Your settings still must be way off. I've never heard of a burn that high, even in someone running a marathon. Are you sure you had good contact? And all of the settings are entered (age, height, weight, etc) correctly? I'd double check everything. Activity level should probably be at active to start with, I would guess. May need to tweak it later, but that should be a good starting point.

The issue with all that activity is that unless you just started this job, you're pretty adapted to it - so you'll burn less than you might otherwise. Someone the same size as you, doing the job for one day, would burn a lot more than you. So I have to say the number is WAY off somehow.
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Are you sure you have it set to calories and not kilojoules? 1 calorie = 4.2 kilojoules. If your settings are wrong this would make your expenditure 2141 calories, or about 210 calories per hour, or 3.5 calories per minute which is probably more in the ball park. The only way I manage to burn 10+ calories per minute is running or doing high impact aerobics.
  • ddonkeys
    I don't know, now this is starting to confuse me... I have set up a profile within the watch to help calculate my max heart rate using age, weight, and height. Based off of this most of my day would have been in a "fat burning zone" or 60-75% of my max heart rate (a rate of 115-144). At rest I'm at 106. Could it be possible that if I were to keep a heart rate above 140 for hours on end that a massive amount of calories can be burnt?
  • katemarjoram
    What brand of HRM are you using? A resting heart rate of 106 is very high. Did you take it first thing in the morning before rising from bed? That is when you are meant to take it as your baseline.
  • ddonkeys
    I'm using the Sportline duo 1025 dual-use heart rate monitor. As for the timing of taking the "resting" rate it was after sitting around for over an hour, but I'll try taking it before getting out of bed. There is no setting for kilojoules only mentions calories the entire way through the set up. I did double check the age, weight and height settings and they were all correct. Now I have been doing my job for over a year now, so yes I've gotten used to the work load of lifting 50 pound boxes 45 times in less then 30 mins multiple times a day and sometimes even heavier. Yes that doesn't occur the entire time I'm working but I never stop moving and everytime I glanced at what it was reading it was in the high 130s into the 140s. I just want to try and figure this out.
  • katemarjoram
    When I was running longer distances (15km so about 10 miles) I would burn around 600 calories per hour (the run would take about 75 minutes) so I guess if I did that for 10 hours (I wish!!!) that would be about 6000 calories and I am half your size so I guess, in theory, an 8000 calorie burn in 10 hours is possible if you are big enough and active enough. When your working does it feel like exercise? I mean is your heart pumping, do you get sweaty, are you physically exhausted by the end of it?
  • ddonkeys
    It does feel like exercise. I do get rather sweaty to where some days I will buy a new shirt and change on a break. And most days, I am exhausted with an adrenaline rush from running around all day with the heart pumping. I had a fellow team member wear a pedomiter (Ithink that's what it's called) but it calculated that he had done about 15 miles in a 9 hour shift. In the time I'm at work I do take about an hour for lunch and spend maybe 30 mins at my desk. The remaining 8 and a half hours is spent constantly moving at a fast walk with heavy lifting thrown in.
  • ddonkeys
    I did email the manufacturer the results for their input as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!