So what's your diet secret?

Options

Replies

• cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I have learned in the four weeks since I started, was to have plenty of healthy foods ready to eat. That means having a few baked, sweet and regular potatoes in the fridge, ready to go in the microwave, plus lots of fruits and veggies. Also quick cooking oatmeal and unsweetened almond milk are great for a quick snack and filling the void. The other biggest thing was that prior to joining MFP, I had no clue as to how many calories were in certain foods (per volume), and how few calories in others. Education is really the "secret" weapon. Also, I truly believe that there is something to artificial sweetners slowing down the weight loss process. No more Equal.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I like Suzie's brown rice crackers (3) with a tbsp of peanut butter and half a banana sliced thinly on top. Yummy and satisfying!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like to blend fruit in with my chocolate protein shakes in the blender, it makes them taste more like a smoothie and treat. Sometime I put a little Greek yogurt in to make it more creamy like a shake.
  • paavy
    paavy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Some times I will wake up hungry (or think I'm hungry) and can't fall back to sleep. So I get up and have a tsp. of peanut butter and a lage glass of water. Does the trick for me! I also make sure I add the peanut butter in to my daily food count the next day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking alcohol and saved around 800 calories a day. Also quit visiting the snack machine and bring a bag of apples, oranges, bananas, and grapefruits to work every day.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When cooking low fat instead of heavy sauces I like to bump up the flavor with cooking sherry, garlic, onions, and dejon mustard, mushrooms, etc. Great with chicken breasts.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When I get the 3:00 sugar/choco craving ... I blend up 2 Tbsp of vanilla lowfat yogurt, 1/2 c of coffee and a tsp of hershey syrup with ice. Makes an 8 oz cup that stops the craving, fills me up, and gets me through to dinner without reaching for the kids' after school snacks.

LOVE this topic!

wow! this sounds great...will def have to give this a try...thanks!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite go-to meals is a Quorn "chicken" patty with organic ketchup on top and cover it with veggies. I call it my "chicken parm". The ketchup will warm up on the patty, and I swear it tastes so much like chicken parm, but it's vegetarian and very low fat/high protein! I don't use a bun or bread with the meal. Just the patty, ketchup, and veggies (baby spinach sauteed in olive oil is really good). If I'm feeling really hungry I'll eat this and it's very satisfying yet healthy.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm an ice cream addict. So I got thse all natural fruit bars that I eat instead. There isn't any fat in them and all it is is frozen fruit on a stick, but it's like I'm eating an ice cream bar.
  • createdbyGod
    Options
    i have a sweet tooth too. I used to eat yogurths but they were aroudn 100cal:-(. no I found hartley jelly no added sugar and it contains only 3calories. yes, you are reading right - 3 calories. I love it and I save so much calories.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    when I get my sweet tooth I like to cut a banana in 1/2 & spread w/peanut butter ;)
    I also take a bagel thin spread w/peanut butter & put dark chocolate chips on top
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mine are:

- Always keep sugar free jellies around just in case I feel the urge to munch on something
    - Eat meals slowly and savour them
    - Make up a meal mostly with veggies so it looks huge
    - Have regular meal/snack times to look forward to
    - Drink a hot drink (herbal tea/black coffee) when I know I don't need food but am 'hungry' out of boredom or procrastination - I have to drink it slowly and it tides me over until a meal time usually
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I still have dessert every night (skinny cow)
    My DH and I are on this journey together
    Strawberries and FF whipped cream are now my new favorite snack
    Smaller portions
    More veggies (salad almost every night)

This "diet" thing is actually pretty darn easy since finding this site. I owe my (and my DH's) success to MFP!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I make a frozen pizza, I'll still eat half the pizza, but I take the smaller slices and leave the larger ones for my husband. :laugh:

It doesn't sound like much, but if I eat 45% of the pizza instead of 50%, I save 90 calories. I still count the full amount of calories in my total, but it's a little cushion.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    When going out for sushi I order a seaweed salad. I eat each individual strand of seaweed rather than taking big ol chop stick full. By the time I am half way done with it and my sushi is at the table I am almost full. This allows me to enjoy a sushi roll with spicy mayo, but only eat two or three pieces of it!
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump! such an interesting topic
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not a secret but works for me,I use a cake plate to eat from keeps my portions down.when we eat out I prepare before we go.at subway I ask them to scoop out the inside of the bread keeps carbs down.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Plan every single meal of every single day, in advance, until you're so used to eating right that it becomes second nature.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1. Keep an open mind.
    2. Never stop learning.
    3. Never restrict.
    4. Be easy on yourself.