Still overweight by BMI standards?

Options
13»

Replies

• Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am within in my BMI. A lot of people say that BMI is worthless, but I don't think so. If you're in shape, you don't have any fat hanging over your belt buckle, I don't think the BMI chart is a major concern. If you're over your BMI, you have fat hanging over your belt buckle, then I think BMI should be a concern, especially if you suffer from diabetes, heart disease or some sort of obesity related problem.

I think this is spot on. BMI is not worthless, but neither is it the perfect tool to determine your ideal body weight.

It isn't worthless, but it is entirely overrated. It offers quasi-scientific numbers to make claims that someone is overweight based on 2 factors: height and weight. With so many other variables especially muscle tone, that's simply not enough.

I used it as a positive though. On my run Tues, I kept thinking about people giving credence to BMI and the fact that it lists my 5' 10", 177lb body as overweight as motivation to run 5 miles at 8 minutes per mile. That's my best ever. Thanks for the help. I'll take all I can get.

I
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the curves argument nor do i believe that BMI is totally accurate. I'm 6 feet 1 and my ideal weight is 202lbs I look good. I'm pretty fit but i have some belly fat. If i lose 10-15 more lbs most of that will be gone but in all honestly being that thin doesn't suit my body size well. I know skinny males with some belly fat and they are very fit. For men 20% body fat preferably less is the goal.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and currently 195 pounds, which is still about 20 pounds over the top of my "ideal weight range" according to my BMI. I am shooting for another 15 pounds (I've lost 85 already) but, even then, I will still be 5-ish pounds "overweight." That, quite honestly, is ridiculous. I am fit and healthy as I am now and, if I was in the middle of my "ideal" range at around 155, I would look gross - as it is, I have these things I call "rib boobs" because my ribs poke out so much further than my waist. If I lost another 40 pounds, I would look emaciated. Then again, I have a large build and lots of muscle, which makes a difference.
    Focus on being fit and healthy, regardless of what the scale or a chart says.