So what was your uh oh moment?

Options

Replies

• KayJayKing
    KayJayKing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    AND when I realized I outweighed my husband by 30 pounds!
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was making a scrapbook for my daughter, and realized I was refusing to use any pictures with me in it! I want her to look back and see her mommy in photos, but I was way too embarrassed to include any pictures of me.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    Back in Feb, I signed up for a local 4-mile run/walk with a group of people from work. I did NOT want to be embarrassed in front of them! I started walking that week, and dieting a few weeks after that. (26 lbs later... the race was last weekend and my son and I finished with flying colors.)
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Mine was between doctor's visits......my annual physical and a follow-up for blood work to check my blood sugars a couple months later. Anyway, in between times, my 53-year-old sister was diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes. There is a huge family history of this disease. I decided when the doctor wanted to send me to a dietician, I'd better listen. I thought she was a quack, but the advice she gave me that day and the purchase of a used treadmill helped me to lose and keep off most of the weight for almost five years.
    Kaye
  • smvamp
    smvamp Posts: 32
    Options
    don't chu just LOVE children. lol

my "kinda" ...ah ha moment was not wanting to EVER take pictures. I knew I needed to do something. I didn't feel good about myself at all. I didn't want to see old friends...and would literally HIDE in the store if I saw ANYONE who I thought might recognize me. I say it was my "kinda" moment because I was still hitting and missing. Would watch calories SOMETIMES...and start a plan EVERY MONDAY.

the REAL moment came when I started choking (frequently) in my sleep SEVERAL times a month. sometimes in the same week. I was PETRIFIED of sleeping. I would wake up in a panic...unable to breath...and I would have to SIT THERE...until my throat would open up. scary can't even begin to describe how I felt. I would just began mentally praying...asking for God's help. It seemed like an eternity, but everytime...eventually, it opened.

so far I've only lost 5lbs...but I haven't choked in probably 2 months now, and I thank GOD!!
  • smvamp
    smvamp Posts: 32
    Options
    At one point someone asked me if I was pregnant too! I felt sooooo bad and in the same week my supervisor said to me during a conversation.. "I mean she is almost as big and YOU"....I kept smiling listening to the conversation as I died inside! That's comment still hurts to this day.

Wow...I can only imagine how much that must have stung!! Congrats on your success!
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    When the Dr put me on bp meds. I am 27 I am NOT going to do that to my body. Also when my brother was told he had a yr to live I have been trying to do this since the week before christmas 2010. I am down from 305 to 290.
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    When my mother cringed when I told her how much I weighed.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I saw myself on TV on an show that airs on TLC.
    I don't want to be that fat middle-aged bald guy anymore.
    I can't change my age, I doubt if I'll do anything about losing my hair, but I DON'T have to be FAT anymore!!!!
  • ncwmark
    ncwmark Posts: 40
    Options
    I was going to a family party and decided to treat myself to a new shirt,so I headed down to the shops and I tried on about 6 different XXXL shirts and they were ALL tight round my belly. So I weighed myself for the first time in 10 years and when the scale nearly reached 25 stones (350 lbs) it scared the living crap outta me. I'm 41 next month and I'm going to be a dad again in September and I'm too young to die.

How the hell did I let it get that bad???

Almost the identical story here.

When I moved to a 3XL shirt I swore I would do something about it. A few years later I had to face the thought that I might now need a 4XL... bound and determined not to allow that to happen.
  • ncwmark
    ncwmark Posts: 40
    Options
    Also, I became afraid that my kids were going to miss out on something because of the lifestyle I purposefully chose to lead. I was tired of being an observer of life and wanted to be a participant.
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    Mine came when I was weighed at the doctors as part of a full physical and I realised I had gained 1.4 stone in a year due to stress!! I also am starting a new teaching job in China in August and the school have said in their newsletter that I am into keeping fit!! I put it on my CV as I am but now I need to get back into it and look like I keep fit!!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Last summer, my son's girlfriend and her family decided where they would spend their holidays in summer this year: a place I love, at the beach. I asked if I could join them, and yes, I can :-)
    Made me think of how I'll look next to them :-( All of them are skinny (in my eyes): I'll be around 7 nice and fit looking persons and look like a whale at the beach ;-/.
    I started to work on changing that state and it'll take at least until summer next year until I'm at my goal, but I'll feel a lot more comfortable at the beach than I would have last summer :-)

MM
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    My uh oh moment was more of a culmination of events over about a month's time. My mom had just had her cholesterol medication upped, so I had mine checked again and it was no longer in the normal range (I'm only 31). There's one bullet in the chamber. I saw the pictures the in-laws had taken at Christmas (not pretty). My partner told me I was starting to have some sleep apnea (Bullet number two). My grandfather passed away and I saw my dad at the visitation. My dad had gained even more weight, has been diagnosed with diabetes (Three bullets, still counting), and I was reminded that his mother died of a heart attack in her 40s (Four). My mother's father died of heart problems as well (Aaaand, there's five). Nothing like playing Russian Roulette by yourself with only ONE EMPTY chamber. I joined the gym shortly after the visitation and started eating better the week after that. 33 pounds gone forever!
  • Tacosmamma
    Tacosmamma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just pulled out my summer clothes. That was depressing. None of my pants fit and my arms are so much thicker than last summer that my tops look embarrassingly bad as well. I refuse to by up a size, so I'm kicking it in high gear...which means I will most likely be wearing skirts most of the summer until I can get the weight off.

I wore dresses all last summer :(
  • Tacosmamma
    Tacosmamma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I didnt fit into anything comfortably... I lost since 2005 about 100lbs... 60 was gained during pregnancy and took me over 3 yrs to take it off. I threw all my big clothes out and had nothing else to wear. I had gained 20 of the 100 back... I have now lost abut 18 lbs since March!
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    My uh oh moment was when my dad asked me how much I weighed 5 years ago. I told him 260 pounds and he told me that he loved me and wants to me live a happy and healthy life! Some people would be offended by this but I tell everyone that he saved me life...I love weigh 70 lbs lighter and shooting for another 35!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I have Four Sizes of Work Clothes in my closet.

I was the top size when I started wanting to lose weight the first time. (2009)
    I went down one size,
    then another,
    then another,
    then down to the Smallest Size.
    Yay.

Then I stopped exercising.
    Then I ate junk and lots of desserts - yum

Then I gained and went up a size
    and then
    up another size.

I didn't want to get to My Biggest Size again.

I even went out a few weeks ago and bought all new bras and undies because Mine Can't take the strain any longer! They are too tight and might burst! ha
    But I left the New Things in the bag with the receipt for a couple weeks and then finally returned them ALL for a full refund last week.

So, I
    didn't want to Spend Money Sizing up,
    and
    I do NOT want to get to my Top Size in the closet again

And I was Not maintaining any weightloss (that I mentioned previously in this topic)
    so I am here.

I was just remembering my funny story about the unmentionables teehee so I came back here to add to my Reason
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I did a photoshoot with some friends and thought I looked great. Then I saw the pics and realized 2 of them could fit in the space I took up in the shot... I looked HUGE!!! Something had to be done!
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My scale literally trembled because of the pressure on the needle because it only went up to 350lbs. I kept weighing myself on it hoping it would actually register because I had come back down under 350 but it never did so I decided I needed to find out what I actually weighed. I phoned my doctors office to speak to a nurse to find out what to do, and she told me to see if I could find a meat packing plant nearby or something to use the commercial scales they use to weigh cows. (eeeeek!)

I ended up finally getting to a bariatric medicine doctors office and weighed in at a whopping 444lbs.

I am down to about 400 now. A LONG way to go!

Les

Well, good job and we are all here to support you.