Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Options
My friend has been nagging me to share this story on MFP so I will.

I was desperate find find private swimming so I posted an ad online. I got no response until a CBC Radio One producer saw my ad and wanted to interview me. The also did an article on their website called "Obese man offers to clean pool for private access." Now I have like 25 pools to choose from in peoples backyards or their houses. So many emails and comments of support too! Very heartwarming.

Desperate times call for desperate measures right!!

I am really excited! I miss the water.

What are your stories of overcoming challenges?

Les

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I Googled and found the article -- fantastic piece!

You've overcome some trials in life, and I applaud your creativity in finding a solution. Way to be proactive, man. I wish you the best on your journey. Keep us all posted!
  • Ravens4197
    Ravens4197 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yay! Good luck! Thats a good idea becasue i am going to try and start going to a pool soon but am worried about what people are going to think! :) Good story thanks for sharing!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Great story.

Instead of rewriting mine, I shall redirect you to it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/anubis609/view/my-1-year-renewed-lease-on-life-93745
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Ah, that is an inspiring story! I love your determination and I love the generosity of others trying to help. It shows us all in a good light!
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    That's awesome. I love how you went out and figured a way to do what you wanted.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That's actually an *awesome* story! And it sounds like your self-esteem problems aren't even so bad: at least to me it's a sign of good mental health if you are able to laugh at yourself a little, even while being honest with yourself; it seems like you have a good attitude toward this. If anyone "laughs" at you, you should know that you'll have the last laugh. It sounds like a great idea and everybody wins. Good luck!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Great story.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/anubis609/view/my-1-year-renewed-lease-on-life-93745

I must have missed when you posted that blog,but i read the whole thing now.wow
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Maybe you can turn it into part time cash too!!! Bonus, bonus and BONU$!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Great story.

I must have missed when you posted that blog,but i read the whole thing now.wow

Aww, thanks Fear. Yeah, I posted that on the day I was supposed to have been potentially dead for a year. Kinda crazy when you think about it. Lol.
  • imabigvegan
    imabigvegan Posts: 72
    Options
    Kewl stuff! Keep em coming!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I think that's the coolest story I've read all week. WTG for your creativity!
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    A few people have asked for the link to the interview.

I don't think I should post it here, so please message me directly if you want it!

Les:noway:
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    What are the things you all have done to move through PAIN to get the job done anyway?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's great creativity, I hope you enjoy getting started with your weight loss at a private pool and get keen to go to the regular one too. I've learnt that in spite of how stupid I think I look wallowing in the pool or trying to jog, that there is a very high chance that no one is actually paying attention, or if they are, they either don't care, or are thinking "wow, wish I could be that keen to get moving!".

I haven't been anywhere near as creative as you, but i HAVE made some big steps to get moving. I've never been able to jog (or so I thought) but I started with C25K, worked with a physio through some knee problems (lucky for me, not as advances as your knee issues) and am not trying to get brave enough to sign up for a 12k race in August!