Help!!! Shin splints!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing about your gait analysis!!! I may try that too. I am at the 4 week point of continuous 1 hr/run walk sessions. I've never why right when I get going this happens...

whoops! this could be your problem, right there! You've just started running, four weeks ago, and you're already doing one-hour workouts? How many times a week are you running?

Considering that you've just started (and doubly so if you are just getting into shape), this would seem to be a *lot*! I would think that doing 30 minutes, 3 times a week, would be good as a gradual way to get in shape for running...!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Painful shin splints while trying to run today

Too much, too soon.

Walk more, jog slower.
    No, slower than that.
    No, really, even slower than that.
    Walk intermittently during your Jogging.
    Walk early, walk often

Build up time on your feet.
    Train by Minutes not Miles.

I find Body Adaptation occurs about every three weeks, and not a Linear progression.

Rest is good.
    Slow walking until you get relief is Good Training.

www.RunInjuryFree.com
    "training" tab
    "half maration" tab
    Link to "conditioning program"

I'm a big fan of the Gymboss and Galloway training principles.

Or switch to trainin by Heart Rate and Time (not distance or "perceived effort")
    http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

Rest now :flowerforyou:

I hope you feel better soon.

Owie !!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    From my understanding......doing too much too fast.

I think so too.
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you experience shin splints STOP whatever you are doing to aggravate it. :sad:

You need to strengthen those teeny muscles.

Some things to try:

-point your toes under your desk and trace out the alphabet with each foot 3 times. (hurts don't it?)

-lift your foot to the beat of songs under your desk. (feel that little muscle working?)

-if you can reach your toes: while sitting, push against the tops of your feet and try to push your hands back using your feet. (this will target those teeny muscles really well)

I developed shin splints from running in high school gym class... Luckily my gym teacher took me aside & gave me these great exercises. :flowerforyou: