to eat candy or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So, if I wanted to eat a candy bar, would it be okay if I did enough exercise to cancel out the calories? Or would this technique not work? and if I could get away with this, how often or how many times could I do it?

I'm thinking I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I burned enough calories to cancel the food out. Right?

THANX,
    sue

Technically, yes, you can eat whatever you want and stay within your calories. From a health perspective, you're better off limiting junk foods like candy bars to occasional treats rather than making them a daily part of your diet. Especially when you are on restricted calories, you want your food to be delivering nutrition rather than just 'fun'.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have my chocolate. Craving doesn't seem to describe it! So I limit myself. I save 200 calories at the end of each day. I usually have a 1/4 cup of M&M's (I eat them slowly so I feel like I've been snacking longer.), or I'll have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich. I know if I'm going to "live" this it has to be practical.

Good luck and have a candy bar!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses!

I have such an evil sweet tooth.......it never takes a break! Especially at night when I'm watching TV, relaxing, I eat popcorn, chocolate and pop tarts. Pop Tarts are the most EVIL of them all. 400 calories for just two of em! I cannot have those things in my house anymore (except that my husband LOVES them and of course he is skinny as Mick Jagger and can eat 10 boxes of pop tarts and not gain one little ounce).

I have absolutely NO willpower. How do I get willpower??? I suppose if I had an answer to THAT question I'd be rich. I want to be healthy and strong, my brain says "oh, a few <hundred> calories won't hurt, you can work it off later" which I do...but still...I wish I didn't love food so much.

Believe it or not, the best way to curb a sweet tooth is to simply cut out sweets and simple carbs (breads, white rice, pasta, crackers, poptarts, muffins, cakes, etc. ). In a few weeks to months, you will lose the taste for heavily sweetened foods.

When I lost this 40 pounds the first time, 27 years ago (kept it off for well over 20 years, too) I had a HUGE sweet tooth. Much to my surprise, after a few months of not eating any sweets, I had competely and totally lost my taste for them. Things I used to love are now nauseatingly sweet to me and I haven't touched them in 27 years. I'm not the only one to discover this either. It does happen!

"Willpower" is not a very helpful concept and leads people to beat themseves up. If you find it difficult to stick to your plan, it's usually one of two things: either your plan is not well-constructed or your goals are not clearly defined/meaningful enough to you. So take a look at your plan and at your goals--if you revise one or the other, you'll probably find that the issue of so-called willpower goes away.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have my chocolate. Craving doesn't seem to describe it! So I limit myself. I save 200 calories at the end of each day. I usually have a 1/4 cup of M&M's (I eat them slowly so I feel like I've been snacking longer.), or I'll have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich. I know if I'm going to "live" this it has to be practical.

a small piece of high quality dark chocolate satisfies my chocolate cravings without having as much fat and sugar as the much bigger amount of low quality chocolate needed for the same effect
  • tammykoon
    Options

a small piece of high quality dark chocolate satisfies my chocolate cravings without having as much fat and sugar as the much bigger amount of low quality chocolate needed for the same effect

I might have to try that. I love the M&M's because I can stretch my "snack" out. I don't feel deprived cause I've been munching on chocolate for the last hour. But I will have to look into a dark chocolate alternative. Thanks for the idea!
  • tammykoon
    Options
    Sorry about the quote, in quote, thing I am such a newbie!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    try a fiber 1 oats and chocolate bar its sweet and chocolately and while its not actually good for you at least theres lots of fiber in it:smile: