about salad dressings....

Options
What do you use? I have been using Kraft Fat Free Italian or Kraft Fat Free Catalina. Both have too much sodium and the Catalina has too much sugar. Ugh. What do you use???

Replies

• wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    vinegar
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with salad dressing, isn't it? I'm curious, too!
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    I hate the taste of dressings and most sauces (mayo, ketchup, etc etc). I also don't like the texture.

When I have salad, I sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top of it. It tastes good.

Maybe I am just weird because I prefer my salad (and other foods) to be plain -- or with heaps of jalepenos/chillis!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Call me weird but I don't use dressing on my salad.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    salad spritzer by wishbone . . .especially the ranch . .. 10 sprays is like 10 cals or something like that. I find 10 sprays covers 2 cups of spinach well
  • chrissiviolin
    Options
    I love vinegar on my salads! Balsamic, Red Wine, White Balsamic...lots of choices! I think I have every flavor of vinegar in cupboard here at home lol
  • mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    someone told me to buy the hidden valley ranch powder packets and mix it with fat free sour cream and stir in fat free milk to make a salad dressing consistency.... haven't tried it yet, but it's a good idea....
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat a T. of what I like (Chunky Blue Cheese, forgot the brand at the moment) and count it. Sometimes I don't use any. Haven't found a fat free one that tastes any good plus don't they have junk in them? Yea, I'd rather have good stuff and simply count it, :tongue:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    someone told me to buy the hidden valley ranch powder packets and mix it with fat free sour cream and stir in fat free milk to make a salad dressing consistency.... haven't tried it yet, but it's a good idea....
    Plain Greek Yogurt works well too, same consistency, texture as sour cream. :flowerforyou:
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use lime juice and a few sprays of the Wishbone Italian vinagerette salad spritzers..alot less sodium and nearly no sugar. It took a while for me to get used to because I use to drown my salad in dressing (Catalina was my fav) then I realized I was defeating the purpose of eating a salad by drowing it in all the toppings and sauces...

Good luck!!
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use lime juice and a few sprays of the Wishbone Italian vinagerette salad spritzers..alot less sodium and nearly no sugar. It took a while for me to get used to because I use to drown my salad in dressing (Catalina was my fav) then I realized I was defeating the purpose of eating a salad by drowing it in all the toppings and sauces...

Good luck!!

Fresh squeezed limes!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of olive oil, tablespoon of red wine vinegar, pinch of oregano, pinch of pepper. Easy peasy.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Seasoned rice wine vinegar. Yummy- and a little goes a long way.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    I love the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings:
    http://bolthouse.com/our-products/dressings/yogurt-dressings
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese and chunky salsa! Good source of protein in the cottage cheese and the spicy kick I love from the salsa! I don't miss regular dressings at all!!!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I typically like to use an olive oil based red wine or balsamic vinaigrette. But lately I've been using the Marzetti Simply Dressed dressings. So far I've had the balsamic, ranch, and caesar and they're all good. Of course the ranch and caesar are higher in calories, as expected. The next one to try will be the champagne.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese and chunky salsa! Good source of protein in the cottage cheese and the spicy kick I love from the salsa! I don't miss regular dressings at all!!!

Oooo... that sounds pretty good!

I bet it would be easy to whip up a nice dressing with salsa and greek yogurt too! :D
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I've tried and liked several of Renee's Gourmet's dressings. A lot of them are low fat/low sodium/no preservatives (they have a fairly short shelf life). They taste pretty good too! A 1 tbsp serving for most of them ranges from 25-45 calories. Since they have no preservatives they're usually in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store.
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt thinned out with a little squeezed lemon or pure orange juice and a teaspoon of honey or agave.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of olive oil, tablespoon of red wine vinegar, pinch of oregano, pinch of pepper. Easy peasy.

I make my own dressing, similar to this. if I'm low on calories I'll just use a tsp of oil, and maybe add 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, squeeze of orange or lime juice - yum!!