about salad dressings....

Options

Replies

• ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Equal parts virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano. Great on a greek salad!
  • art4fun69
    art4fun69 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like the maple grove farms of vermont fat free balsamic, it is yummy
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    red wine vinegar is my first fav, but i have a few other ones I can mix in my salad instead

If I want something more heavy then I make my jalapeno ranch.

Ranch dressing mix
    a container or sour cream /ligh/ no fat sour cream or greek yogurt
    pickled jalapeno and some juice from container.

Or something more light but flavor full caesar type

olive oil (1 or 2 tbs)
    grated garlic (1 or 2 cloves)
    lemon juice
    splash of worchester sauce
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I make my own. it so unbelievably easy, once you get the hang of it. 3 parts olive oil or nut oil of choosing and and acid. So I use 1 tbsp to 1 tsp. As for acids I use a variety of things lemon juice, lime juice, braggs apple cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar or even pickle juice if I'm putting pickles in my salad. if you want a thicker dressing you can add a bit of plain yogurt or a bit of smashed avocado. You can also smash berries like raspberries or strawberries for a fruity vinaigrette. season with whatever herbs and spices you like. Whisk together and enjoy.
  • baddkitty187
    baddkitty187 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the wishbone vinegrettes, romano basil, balsamic basil and red wine are my favs, my aunt loves raspberry walnut
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Call me weird but I don't use dressing on my salad.
    Not weird at all I occasionally use hummus or salsa instead.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I use a teaspoon of olive or walnut oil and a tiny bit of balsamic reduction. About 40 cals total.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I like to cut my dressing in half with salsa. cuts back on the fat but you still get good flavor on your salad.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also use Maple Farms of Vermont Balsamic Vinaigrette, love it.
    Fat Free

2 Tablespoons has:
    15 calories
    95 mg sodium (very low compared to others)
    3 carbs
    2 sugars

Or I make my own with olive oil, red wine vingar, oregano and basil, pepper.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone has a Trader joes in their area but I really like their Low fat Ranch Parmesan dressing, taste really good!
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I stick with a simple, equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some pepper. I used the same recipe and added some strawberries, threw it in the food processor until smooth. It gives a sweeter taste to the dressing and a more summery flavor.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    When I started logging my food and really saw how much sodium was in my Hidden Valley Ranch Light, I got concerned so I went recipe shopping on the internet. I found a recipe for a dip that I tweaked just a little. It's an excellent salad dressing, I have also used it on chicken, salmon, anywhere I would have used my beloved Miracle Whip Light before I saw how much sodium was in IT!
    2 T Mrs. Dash
    1 C light sour cream
    1/2 C non fat plain yogurt
    1/4 C light mayo
    2 (or 3) t sugar
    3 t wine vinegar

Per T this has 18 cal, 1 fat, 1 pro, 2 calcium, 29 sodium according to the recipe calculator on MFP.

It is so good, I can't believe it's that low.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,728 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good, LG61820.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I put fat free cottage cheese and then pour less of my selected dressing. That kind of helps. UGH! I just love the dressing too much! :grumble:
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I make my own...there are lots of recipes on the internet...just tweek them a little to cut calories.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I use normal dressings, but I only put a little bit in and toss the leaves about so everything gets coated - that way I don't sacrifice flavor
  • northernlights907
    Options
    A table spoon of extra virgin olive oil, a table spoon of lemon juice, 1 garlice clove minced, and some salt. Yum its my fav!
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just learned a trick about salad dressing. If you get it on the side and then dip your fork into it before you put lettuce on it - then you eat far less of it. I also have used Extra Virgin Olive Oil - it's kind of plain tasting but better than plain lettuce!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Mexican salads!

2 roma tomatoes - seeded and diced
    2 cloves of garlic - minced
    1 serrano chili (or 1 jalepeno) - seeded and minced
    1 shallot - minced
    1 whole limed - juiced
    Salt & Pepper to taste

If I'm making salsa/pico then I just use 1/2 of a lime juice... more lime juice to get the flavor on more salad. Also, instead of pouring the dressing on top, put it in a bowl and mix it up. You'll use much less dressing and all of the leaves will be covered... but you don't have to worry about that w/ the basically fat free pico above.
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My husband and I ran across this one in one of our cookbooks. If you like a hint of lime, this was soooooo yummy.

Honey Lime Dressing

Plain Yogurt, 0.33 cup
    Sour Cream, 5.28 tbsp
    Honey, 2 tbsp
    Fresh Lime Zest, 1.5 tsp
    Lime juice - 0.04 cup
    Salt, 0.25 tsp
    Pepper, black, 0.25 tsp

I copied out of my recipes so sorry for some of the odd numbers. Can convert at cooks.com

here are the numbers we got for 2 TBLS a serving. The hubby was also wanting low sodium

Per Serving: (cal) 45 (protein)1 (fat)1 (fiber) 0 (sodium) 114 (carbs) 8