Does the UN actually do...ANYTHING???

Options
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7600005.stm

This isn't so much a post to debate the topic of the article, but more one of....aren't these people supposed to be stopping wars etc???

*sigh*

Replies

• JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7600005.stm

This isn't so much a post to debate the topic of the article, but more one of....aren't these people supposed to be stopping wars etc???

*sigh*
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    *eye roll*

That is stinkin' ridiculous.

*double sigh*
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....interesting what is being focused on huh?? LOL!!

Mmmm, that 97% ff BEEF hot dog I had last night was GOOD!!! :wink: :laugh:
  • Manda86
    Options
    facepalmbq8dj7.jpg
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options
    beef_1.jpg
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Don't you know what U.N. actually stands for??

Unwanted Nobodies.

Square root of useless.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    really the UN has time to discuss how much beef we should be consuming.....:huh: i wonder what they do in their FREE time
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options
    really the UN has time to discuss how much beef we should be consuming.....:huh: i wonder what they do in their FREE time

I'm sure the Georgian's in Eastern Europe are relieved that the UN has their beef consumption interests at heart.

lumbergh.jpg

'No Democratic Republic of Georgia, we won't assist you with those Russian tanks over there, but we would like you to know that we feel your Beef consumption is leading to Global Warming, so if you could cut down, that would be greeeeeaaaaat.'

(that hissing noise you hear in the background is my biting sarcasm)
  • jackeh
    Options
    I wonder how much the group of UN people who came up with this was paid.... and has McDonalds made a counter statement yet?:laugh:
  • scheidch
    Options
    From the UN's charter:

"Purposes

The purposes of the United Nations, as set forth in the Charter, are to maintain international peace and security; to develop friendly relations among nations; to cooperate in solving international economic, social, cultural and humanitarian problems and in promoting respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms; and to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in attaining these ends."

I honestly am not seeing how greenhouse gases fit into that bundle... :laugh: Maybe they are considering this a "humanitarian" problem?
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options
    From the UN's charter:

"Purposes

The purposes of the United Nations, as set forth in the Charter, are to maintain international peace and security; to develop friendly relations among nations; to cooperate in solving international economic, social, cultural and humanitarian problems and in promoting respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms; and to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in attaining these ends."

I honestly am not seeing how greenhouse gases fit into that bundle... :laugh: Maybe they are considering this a "humanitarian" problem?

Maybe if someone pointed out that the Russian Tanks that invaded a sovereign country were contributing to global warming the UN would see fit to step in.
  • Fit2btied
    Options

Apparently, they are measuring cow and sheep front and rear emissions!:laugh:
  • jackeh
    Options

Apparently, they are measuring cow and sheep front and rear emissions!:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and how exactly do they measure that?
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here

if we dont take care of the environnement, soon enough there wont be any planet nor humans to care of.

when the water level will flood up nearly all of florida, food shortage worldwide and everything else happens,,, i bet you'll be wishing the UN did more for the environement.

not sure what a climate scientist can do for go georgians anyways.

Don't get me wrong though, my heart goes go to all victims of any conflict around the world,
    and the UN could do better on ALL fronts.

may
  • Manda86
    Options
    Show me scientific proof that global warming is a real threat and is more than just hype, and I'll be concerned.

That is all.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here

if we dont take care of the environnement, soon enough there wont be any planet nor humans to care of.

when the water level will flood up nearly all of florida, food shortage worldwide and everything else happens,,, i bet you'll be wishing the UN did more for the environement.

not sure what a climate scientist can do for go georgians anyways.

Don't get me wrong though, my heart goes go to all victims of any conflict around the world,
    and the UN could do better on ALL fronts.

may

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Show me scientific proof that global warming is a real threat and is more than just hype, and I'll be concerned.

That is all.
    Right. I mean, I am open-minded to any information out there to actually support the global warming issue. HOWEVER, there have been major climate changes over thousands of years....well before there were any automobiles, factories, etc etc! So....what caused THOSE "disasters"?????
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    The climate is cooling. When this happened when I was a child, they were all screaming we were all gonna die of freezing temperatures. I believe it's the sun. It has bursts of output. What can we do about that?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    The climate is cooling. When this happened when I was a child, they were all screaming we were all gonna die of freezing temperatures. I believe it's the sun. It has bursts of output. What can we do about that?
    Right!
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options

That is all.

Oh snap!

Uhm...sure is a nice day outside...haha, actually it's rather cool for a Early September day, ahahahaha!

Anyhoo, I understand that the UN wants to make sure that Florida doesn't flood, because I am positive that Kofi Annon and a few others around there absolutely love Animal Kingdom, but I mean cmon, let's look at the major conflicts around the world and what our beloved UN is doing to help put them to rest....

Sudan
    Georgia
    Lebanon
    Burma/Myanmar
    Turkish incursions in Iraq
    Afganistan
    Pakistan (Government collapse and skirmishes with Afgan forces)
    Chechnya
    Israeli-Palestinian conflict
    Iran (Refusal to cooperate with the West on pretty much anything, threatening Israel at every turn)
    The Fatah/Hamas conflicts
    Somalia

And that is 2008 alone, and what has the UN done to stop any of this??? I work in Internation Relief, and I know of how many people die because of the inaction of this glorious international peace keeping body. Do your job UN, bring peace to the world and I might consider not eating a hamburger.