New puppy!

Options

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    She looks just like my pup!
    Lots of people have told me that. :) hard to tell hey breed so young. What is your pup?
  • mred93
    mred93 Posts: 100
    Options
    She is a pitbull mix but we are not sure what she is mixed with.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have seen a few different combos of breeds that look A LOT like her. So far the closest has been, Pit/boxer, Pit/dogue de bordeaux, and Boxer/Mastiff
    We may never know! hahaha
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    SUPER CUTE! Definately agree that she may has some pit in her...which is super (cuz I LOVE pitbulls!!)

Definately got one or two other mixes....interested in what you find out! She's adorable :flowerforyou:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    HeHe!
    2011-06-03_15-14-10_132.jpg
    2011-06-03_15-15-57_294.jpg
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    She is likely only part pit so I am not really "worried" about it

Definitely looks like a pit mix. And please, you have nothing to worry about! Pits are some of the most friendly and loving dogs I have ever met. It's all about how you treat and raise them. They get a bad rap and it really bothers me!

I have a pit mix and he is the biggest baby I've ever met. And goofy! I love him to bits.

He actually looks similar to your pup.

246962_2100546713825_1250146468_32570737_7359419_n.jpg
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Aw! Thanks for sharing! Do you know what his mix is? He is handsome!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Her EYES are so pretty! I think she is beautiful. What did you name her?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    She is likely only part pit so I am not really "worried" about it

Definitely looks like a pit mix. And please, you have nothing to worry about! Pits are some of the most friendly and loving dogs I have ever met. It's all about how you treat and raise them. They get a bad rap and it really bothers me!

I have a pit mix and he is the biggest baby I've ever met. And goofy! I love him to bits.

He actually looks similar to your pup.

246962_2100546713825_1250146468_32570737_7359419_n.jpg

While I agree that pits get a bad rap, their behavior is unfortunately NOT "all in how you treat and raise them."

I have a great deal of experience with dogs, having grown up with a breeder/exhibitor, and am firmly positive reinforcement based in my training methods. I have a pit mix that I adopted at 6 months old, so I can't speak for what transpired in that time, but I can certainly vouch for her training from 6 months onward.

She has a typical pit temperament. She is the most loving dog with people and children that you could ever hope to meet, smart, funny and affectionate; but she is a complete wildcard with other dogs. Her aggression towards other dogs started at maturity, which is also not unusual.

The surprising thing with the pit-types is how little notice you receive that things are about to go wrong-they give very little outward sign. Most breeds work to avoid a fight and give lots of posturing and signals that there is tension brewing, giving you ample time to intervene. Not so with many pits, pit mixes and pit-types--there's an almost imperceptible stiffening and IT IS ON! They don't fight like other breeds, either--rather than bite, back off and bite again, they grab and hold. If you own a pit or pit mix, it is utterly irresponsible to leave them unattended with other dogs-even dogs with whom they live.

I love my pit mix to pieces, but she needs to be handled and managed differently than the breed I grew up with. If you understnd their breed history and characteristics and manage them acordingly, you can have a wonderful life with pits and their mixes. If you assume they are like other breeds and fail to manage them, you can have an unanticipated disaster.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am experienced with dogs and her first puppy pic looked like she may have lab in her. We've just rehomed a pedigree lab...unfortunately pit bulls or even dogs with a trace of pit bull in them are immediately destroyed in the UK as the breed is illegal.

Your dog is absolutely beautiful though and with good advice I'm sure you'll have many happy years together.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I agree it is very important to know the breed well and be very responsible. She is crate trainedand will stay that way! To protect our home ha ha and our other dogs. She is being raised socialized and we are doing many obedience courses as she grows. I joined a humane pitbull forum and have learned a lot since we got her. We plan to avoid dog parks do no fingers can be pointed, poor adventures will have me at the end of her leash ;) although, I do know pits and mixes that can run with their owner and doesn't react to other animals at all. I think the lineage is a big part as well. She will be loved and enjoy life with us! :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I agree it is very important to know the breed well and be very responsible. She is crate trainedand will stay that way! To protect our home ha ha and our other dogs. She is being raised socialized and we are doing many obedience courses as she grows. I joined a humane pitbull forum and have learned a lot since we got her. We plan to avoid dog parks do no fingers can be pointed, poor adventures will have me at the end of her leash ;) although, I do know pits and mixes that can run with their owner and doesn't react to other animals at all. I think the lineage is a big part as well. She will be loved and enjoy life with us! :)

Glad you are doing your research so you're prepared! ;)

My dog is actually good on a leash. When her dog-aggression surfaced we started using the Karen Overall Protocol For Relaxation, which you can find on the web. Although it's typically used for fearful dogs, it's been a great help! Esssentially, you're teaching the dog to relax and defer to you in stressful situations. We also use the "Leave It" command for other dogs when we're walking on leash and it works very well for us. I can run with my dog on a leash and she's fine.

As long as you're prepared, you should be fine. I just worry when folks say that pits are just like other breeds, because that's not quite true. ;) Sounds as though you've got a good handle on things! :)
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    THOSE EYES!! She is absolutely gorgeous!! Looks likes she is going to be one big dog when she grows up! We got our black lab from the humane society...she was only about 4 months old and is now extremely spoiled and loved. We had a German Shepherd, and when she died, it was very hard. We got her when she was 6 wks. old and she died at 12 yrs. So when Indy, our lab, came along...it was a breath of fresh air!! Gotta love these fur babies of ours!! :heart:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Puppy looks to be a mix of a weimaraner which come in grey or tan/brown, and thinking a pitt which both type dogs can have blueish or light color eyes, maybe mastif noting the darker area about the mouth. all those are high energy dog breeds. She will need LOTs of excercise so you have a new workout buddy once she gets bigger lol. too cute, what did you name her?

THIS^^ .....and her Mom is definitely part Mastiff!! No doubt sh is going to be a big dog :laugh:

As far as DNA, I wouldn't bother if I were you. I worked in a DNA testing lab and to get a test done it would cost several hundred dollars. Since your puppy was from a shelter, I'm guessing he is neutered so you aren't breeding him, and since he is a mix it won't do you any good health-wise to find out. The tests for breed in dogs are not definitive when there are multiple breeds in one animal. You will be disappointed in the results they will give you.

The best use for DNA tests in animals is to pinpoint a specific animal (such as in crime investigation) or to prove purity of breed for breeders. It's not widely used for the general public, and really won't tell you what you are looking to learn.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Adorable puppy! I love the new picture where she has her mouth open, looking all happy in the car.

Best of luck with her :) Is she your first dog, or have you had dogs before?
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Puppy looks to be a mix of a weimaraner which come in grey or tan/brown, and thinking a pitt which both type dogs can have blueish or light color eyes, maybe mastif noting the darker area about the mouth. all those are high energy dog breeds. She will need LOTs of excercise so you have a new workout buddy once she gets bigger lol. too cute, what did you name her?

THIS^^ .....and her Mom is definitely part Mastiff!! No doubt sh is going to be a big dog :laugh:

As far as DNA, I wouldn't bother if I were you. I worked in a DNA testing lab and to get a test done it would cost several hundred dollars. Since your puppy was from a shelter, I'm guessing he is neutered so you aren't breeding him, and since he is a mix it won't do you any good health-wise to find out. The tests for breed in dogs are not definitive when there are multiple breeds in one animal. You will be disappointed in the results they will give you.

The best use for DNA tests in animals is to pinpoint a specific animal (such as in crime investigation) or to prove purity of breed for breeders. It's not widely used for the general public, and really won't tell you what you are looking to learn.
    Lol!!!! Did you even read the thread???? I got HER from a rescue yes, when she was only eight weeks old, so she is not yet spayed but the rescue covers it so she will be spayed at 4 months when she gets her shots.
    That mastiff is NOT the mother...remember I got the puppy from a rescue. The mastiff is our other dog, to answer chaco's question.
    Also, Blood dna tests here do not cost hundreds of dollars, just an fyi. We have already figured we will just watch her grow :)

We are leaning towards boxer/pit/mastiff (or very large lab hehe)

Chaco, thanks! thats my favorite picture too!:) we have both Have had dogs before. And right now we have fiona the puppy and our purebred mastiff, abby :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ohhh... you are so lucky to have such a wonderful dog (the Mastiff). My previous dog didn't get along with other dogs at ALL. We wanted one more dog, but we could never get that to work out!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Ohhh... you are so lucky to have such a wonderful dog (the Mastiff). My previous dog didn't get along with other dogs at ALL. We wanted one more dog, but we could never get that to work out!
    Our mastiff is 8wks years old. She tried to ignore fiona for a while he he but now every once in a while she wrestles and plays with her very well.otherwise, she does pretty well.:) she is our big lover! A turd at times with lots of animals around in public but overall she is wonderful and thinks she is wonderful!!!! :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Aw! Thanks for sharing! Do you know what his mix is? He is handsome!

My dog is an Australian Shepard/pit mix.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    HOLY GUACAMOLE! 13weeks and now 25lbs! :-D