FireRunners (closed C25K group) week of 5/23 :)

Options

Replies

• Yary
    Yary Posts: 28
    Options
    Started week 4 day 1 two days ago and it was pretty rough. Will probably repeat the week. Anyone doing any HIIT training once or twice a week in addition to c25k? Tried it today did 30 sec to 1 min of rest. I actually enjoyed it alot.

what HIIT training in particular you doing? TurboFire?
    I am really considering doing it to speed up my toning.

I completed a HIIT training session on the treadmill.

It was similar to this:

1. Run at 7.5-9 mph for 30 seconds to one minute.
    2. Walk easy for 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes.
    3. Repeat cycle seven more times.

I did a total of 8 intervals. Increased the speed .5 every two intervals till I reached 9. I decided to try it because I want to increase my running speeds. I found it to be a lot more fun and challenging then the c25k workouts.

I guess that doing HIIT on the treadmill in conjunction with c25k might pose a problem. I guess that ill see. Good luck with TurboFire.
  • x_sotonguetied
    Options
    W3D3 - DONE! see ya, week 3! bring on week 4 :)
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Did Week 3 Day 3 today but had a look at next week and I am feeling ....afraid :noway:
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I did my second week 3 run yesterday...I'm looking forward to finishing out the week tomorrow!

As for HIIT, I don't necessarily see it interfering with Ct5k, as long as you don't overdo it. The great/awesome thing about HIIT, is that even though it feels super strenuous in the moment (ie, feels like you're going to die!), its actually not nearly as taxing structurally as endurance running. I have bad knees, and when I was heavier, I just did HIIT because it was easier on my joints than steady, ongoing pounding.

I did some HIIT today because I felt like running, but didn't want to overdo it with back to back Ct5k runs. In 30 second bursts, you aren't really aren't running that much...8 rounds is 4 minutes. Yeah you're running like hell, but you're running like hell for 4 minutes total. An extra 4 minutes of running probably isn't going to ruin your run for the next day. (Unless you're pooped out/ under-eating and over-training with a whole lot of other stuff, but that's a different story altogether.)

And yes, HIIT is hella fun. I'm doing C25k to build up my baseline of fitness, but I certainly don't intend on becoming an endurance runner...a 5k is probably going to be my longest distance. I simply love the going-all-out quality of HIIT. But look at it this way, C25K training will help you be able to do HIIT better!
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    W3D3 Complete! Yay! Just in time for me to have a sore throat/cold/flu and hopefully I get better by next Tuesday when I start Week 4! BOO! I hate being sick!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    Did Week 3 Day 3 today but had a look at next week and I am feeling ....afraid :noway:

Oh no! I'm not going to look now:) I'll wait for the surprise next week...lol
  • soogie_lynch
    Options
    Well I'll be repeating wk 3. I struggled, even on the last day.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Oops I meant to post here yesterday, but it was a hectic day; I did my C25K yesterday, still on Week 2... I MIGHT start Week 3 on Tuesday, I'm not sure yet... It sounds super hard!
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 for me and i have to run 20 mins non-stop, lets hope i can do this. Pause...i know i can do this. You guys are doing amazing on your c25k programs and let me tell you it doesn't get any easier but t does get better. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you have too, And don't forget, work on endurance first and the speed part will come later. Good Luck everyone
    ~Chika
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    W3 D3 done here, and it felt really good! I even managed an extra run at the end of it, as my route was longer than I needed, so I did an extra 6 minutes - I did really push myself but at least I know week 4 won't kill me :smile:

I'm so enjoying this, every time I think I won't be able to do the following week's runs I just remind myself how far I've already come and I keep going - I'm so determined to get to the end and do a 5k. Off on holiday on Friday but will be sticking with it!

Way to stick with it. It feels so good to look back and see how far ahead you've come. Awesome job :0)
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    I finished week 3 yesterday! Onto week 4 tomorrow. I never look ahead at what the weeks workouts are going to be. I use a podcast, so I never know what they are going to be until the little voice on the podcast tells me that very minute! Seems to work out pretty well.

To the folks afraid of week 3 (or week x). My advice is to just give it a try. One run. You can always say "nah, I'm going back a week" after you give it a try, no harm, no foul. In fact, that's the advice I'd give for every week (unless you couldn't get through the previous week). I thought the program was just a simple, "walk and keep adding more running until you're running more" program. But there is a little more method to the madness than that. Each week prepares you for the next in ways you don't realize. I actually found week 3 easier than week 2. The 3 minute run is as much a mind game as a physical test. You're thinking, 3 minutes? I can't run 3 minutes! Oh my gosh! But then, as quickly as it starts, its over. And you're working on endurance, so don't be afraid to slow it down...well, at least *I* wasn't afraid to slow it down to get through that second 3 minutes! There's no shame in my game! :tongue:

Okay, now that's I've talked a big game, let's see how I fare in my first run of week 4 tomorrow...:wink: If I turn back to week 3, there'll still be no shame in my game...I'll at least have tried!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been kinda absent lately everybody, I've not been feeling well. But I'm proud of all of you that are keeping at it :smile: I'm not sure when I'm doing my C25K this week (it's so darn hot outside in the afternoons and I don't have time in the mornings this week, plus I'm going to a church camp on Wednesday for the rest of the week) but I'll try to get it in sometime, at LEAST once, haha. Hope you guys have a fantastic Memorial Day! :smile:
  • x_sotonguetied
    Options
    woop wooooop - W4D1 completed earlier this afternoon. in the 85 degree weather lol! it was definitely toasty out but i went and got my run done anyways. week 4 will definitely be a good one!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    woop wooooop - W4D1 completed earlier this afternoon. in the 85 degree weather lol! it was definitely toasty out but i went and got my run done anyways. week 4 will definitely be a good one!

AWESOME girl! :)
  • Leanz
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 done! Found it a big step up from last week - legs were willing but the breathing was a struggle.

x_sotonguetied well done you! I am hoping I survive the week - never mind a good one :bigsmile: Can I use the excuse I am a "bit" older???
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Well, I tried it! I didn't quite get through Week 4 day 1. But it also pointed out to me how much of this is a head game. I couldn't get through the first 5 minute run, and after that, it was all over. Even the 3 minute run was impossible after that...a distance I knew I could do. But, I'm going to stick with week 4 until I get 3 good runs. In the meantime, I'm going to add a few interval workouts to help with my endurance...and confidence.

Keep it up everyone!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    W4D1 Complete! It was harder but I managed to get through it with my sore throat and cold:( I'm hoping I feel better for Thursday's run! I'm sweating like CRAZY!!! :smile:
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I did W4D1 on Monday, and you're right, it's totally a head game.

I did the first three runs, really had to work my determination muscles and coming into the 4th run I was questioning why I'm even doing this. The truth is I wasn't in any pain, I wasn't out of breath, it was almost like I was bored. But I did want to quit terribly. I stayed determined, told told my acquaintance on the treadmill next to me I felt like quitting and had less than 5 minutes to run before I could say I had finished. (A little accountability goes a LONG way for me.) As I was finishing my trainer came by and we talked about it. I don't get how I could get so far into a day's program, have 90 seconds left before I could claim victory and still want to quit. I was really surprised to hear the accomplished tri-athlete tell me he struggles with the same thing. It's natural he said, you just push through it and don't let it dictate what you're going to be successful with. Wow. Really? It's that simple? Apparently it was, because I pushed through, finished the program for the day and now nobody can take W4D1 away from me. :)

W4d2 coming up today.
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    is there a week 4 week of 5/29 thread? we're half way through this week :P
  • Leanz
    Options
    I did W4D1 on Monday, and you're right, it's totally a head game.

I did the first three runs, really had to work my determination muscles and coming into the 4th run I was questioning why I'm even doing this. The truth is I wasn't in any pain, I wasn't out of breath, it was almost like I was bored. But I did want to quit terribly. I stayed determined, told told my acquaintance on the treadmill next to me I felt like quitting and had less than 5 minutes to run before I could say I had finished. (A little accountability goes a LONG way for me.) As I was finishing my trainer came by and we talked about it. I don't get how I could get so far into a day's program, have 90 seconds left before I could claim victory and still want to quit. I was really surprised to hear the accomplished tri-athlete tell me he struggles with the same thing. It's natural he said, you just push through it and don't let it dictate what you're going to be successful with. Wow. Really? It's that simple? Apparently it was, because I pushed through, finished the program for the day and now nobody can take W4D1 away from me. :)

Thank you Pixietoes! I am due for Day2 today and have woken with a VERY painful shin - my body trying to convince me I shouldn't try???? I'll let you know what happens - run has to be after work

W4d2 coming up today.