salad dressings.....

Options
2»

Replies

• pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I hate diet/low fat dressing, just can't eat them. We love salad and eat it many nights. I just dress it fresh with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinergar, salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. Its not fat free or even light, but the olive oil is a healthier fat and I wouldn't even eat salad if I had to use light dressing......
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just switched to Maries Blue Cheese Light. 2 tbspns = 70 calories
    it's creamy =)
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bonk
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Try the fresh salsa's from the produce section. They dont last as long because they are fresh veggies....but they are not at all high in sodium.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When my salad toppings are limited (like at home when I need to go to the store) i use wishbone light italian, its 35cals for 2 tbsp but when i am out and get a salad (like at a salad bar when there are many toppings) i have found that i can eat the salad with no dressing, i originally tried ranch on the side to dip in but realized i tasted the flavors much more with no dressing, again this isn't something I do all the time but I'm glad i realized I can do it. I used to generously pour pour pour ranch dressing on my salad, and while i loved the taste, i also discovered I love the taste of all the vegetables and toppings I am eating and I no longer need to cover my bowl with the white stuff. Good luck to you!
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have a new favorite! It's made by a company called Hendrickson's. The Sweet vinegar & oil dressing has 70 calories in 2 tablespoons. I LOVE spinach salads, so I heat it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then drizzle it on my spinach salad with a hard boiled egg and low sodium bacon crumbles. YUM YUM!!
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check the sugar content in the dressings. Many are loaded with sugar.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i try not to use dressings---a spinach salad is amazing with pepper, garlic, and some red pepper flakes for some kick...that with some feta cheese, adding dressing to it (with the seasonings) is complete overkill and its hard to eat. BUT... Try dipping your fork into the side of dressing with each bite--u use a tsp of dressing instead of a tablespoon, or two, or three... Also, Kraft Free Zesty Italian is only 15calories for 2tablespoons (and i generally only use 1 tbls which is 7.5calories), but theres alot of sodium in it--400 or so mg for the whole serving (but if u eat a low sodium diet, ull still be under sodium with adding in some dressing now and again)...adding a tablespoon of cheese (feta, mozarella,etc) and some sliced almonds is a better choice. No croutons. Wishbone light ranch dressing is only 40calories for 2tablespoons.. I like to take 1tbls and add 1tbls of water, mix it together, which makes a thin ranch dressing, but like having the whole serving for only 20calories instead of 40---you could do this with any dressing and add some pepper that is in most break rooms or at resturants on the table, and u cant tell the difference
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Honey Ridge Farms Fire Roasted Chili Honey Vinegar - just ten calories per tablespoon and yummy! I'm a bit of a vinegar fan and used to just put balsamic vinegar on my salad before I discovered this stuff.

Ingredients: Honey Vinegar, Honey, Water, Black Pepper, Orange Peel, Sea Salt, Garlic (Garlic, Olive Oil), Lemon Peel, Fire Roasted Chiles (sulfite free).

Its pricey at $10 for 9.5 oz but totally worth it!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    After reading this site, I went out and bought the creamy yogurt dressing from Boathouse (I believe) and it was really good! I got the ceasar flavored dressing. I also got the Kraft greek vinagarette as well. It was good too but a little too tangy. And it's still higher in calories (110) per serving. Nevertheless, I will be using both in my salads. Thanks for the great tips!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms Calorie Free Salad Dressings. No calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ken's Asian Ginger (Lite)--70 calories for 2 Tbsp and it's great!

I LOVE this one!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and vinegar, olive oil and lime juice, or salsa.
  • phillyrain
    phillyrain Posts: 19
    Options
    All of the eating right salad dressings from Safeway/Giant are fairly low calorie. I use the yogurt based ranch on salads, the caramelized onion and poppyseed on salads with fruit, and the roasted red pepper garlic vinagrette as a dressing and marinade.

Also, the night before squeeze some lemon juice, garlic, red pepper and oregano into a container and let it sit. Amazing with greek salads and others that require only a bit of flavor. and its almost calorie free!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Sometimes I'll use one of those 1cal per spray spritzers. Occasionally I'll use Ken's light Ranch, but I do this mainly when my "Salad" is more along the lines of a raw veggie plate (more broccoli, zucchini, carrots, etc...less or no lettuce).

Most of the time now, though, I dont use any actual dressing. Frequently I'll just use some salt and pepper, which brings out some of the moisture in the lettuce and adds flavor without the added calories. This is particularly good when combined with tomatoes....so I make some homemade pico (tomato, cilantro, red onion, jalepeno & a touch of freshly squeezed lime juice) and top the salad with that and just completely omit any other dressing.

Depending on what I'm eating, I'll also use just straight lime or lemon juice to add some flavor.

Of course, every once in a while...I just cant resist a nice warm spinach salad. That's just not any good at all without bacon. So I use some of the rendered bacon fat, then whisk in some red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and a bit of splenda. Mmmmmmm.... Ok that's not exactly health food, but it sure does taste good.