what is the craziest diet you have heard of?

Options
or diet pill.......... mine would be the calorie blocking pill and *no offense to those who are doing this, this is just my point of view* but the low carb diet, aka atkins diet. the way i see it is you can eat anything you want, just in moderation. you shouldn't have to make yourself suffer to lose weight. i also noticed that on the low carb diet there are certian fruits and veggies your not aloud to eat :noway: what the heck...... i realise that some people lose weight on this DIET but once you go off of it you gain the weight back so your stuck being miserable on the diet. not to mention it is SO dangerous to your health. i have seen what the dangers are first hand, my mom was on the diet for a long time, now she has all kinds of health problems. who ever is doing this diet just PLEASE PLEASE be very careful and research it well, along with guidance and lots of check ups with your doctor. :smile:

Replies

• ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    or diet pill.......... mine would be the calorie blocking pill and *no offense to those who are doing this, this is just my point of view* but the low carb diet, aka atkins diet. the way i see it is you can eat anything you want, just in moderation. you shouldn't have to make yourself suffer to lose weight. i also noticed that on the low carb diet there are certian fruits and veggies your not aloud to eat :noway: what the heck...... i realise that some people lose weight on this DIET but once you go off of it you gain the weight back so your stuck being miserable on the diet. not to mention it is SO dangerous to your health. i have seen what the dangers are first hand, my mom was on the diet for a long time, now she has all kinds of health problems. who ever is doing this diet just PLEASE PLEASE be very careful and research it well, along with guidance and lots of check ups with your doctor. :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think soup diets are crazy.
    Most canned soups have huge amounts of sodium.
    Plus, don't people CRAVE solid food every now and again???

Or that cookie diet.
    A cookie for breakfast, a cookie for lunch, a snack cookie and then a meal (or something like that).
    Well of COURSE you'd lose weight by restricting calories but yuck.
    I crave variety.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The atkins diet always made me laugh - let's follow the advice of a man who died weighing more than 258 lbs, had heart disease, from a heart attack!
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Grapefruit diet or the ice tea diet. I think I would be puking grapefruit after two days!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit diet or the ice tea diet. I think I would be puking grapefruit after two days!

Ditto!

O, the "Fat FLush" diet. The cranberry juice and flax seed oil.....and all of those supplements!! good lord. I had the WORST headache from pure dehydration from drinking so much "cran-water".
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

YES!!! ANY time you have to forbid entire food groups you're heading down a slippery path! If you just HAVE to do a "low carb" diet, do South Beach. It coaches you on how to avoid high fat foods, over processed foods, and you go through phases and reintroduce foods into your diet as you learn what to limit.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Yepper-- the grapefruit diet-- also some homemade cabbage/veggie soup diet years ago. Oh, the gas! :embarassed:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Yepper-- the grapefruit diet-- also some homemade cabbage/veggie soup diet years ago. Oh, the gas! :embarassed:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Then there's the prescription diet pills waaayyy back then that were actually amphetamines with a laxative thrown in at night just for sadism :wink: I've mentioned before that my struggle with weight started very early in life and how the family doctor, at the urging of my mother, put me on those at the age of 8..........and then they wondered why I was wired for sound, bouncing off the ceiling and why my usually even-tempered, sweet-natured self was replaced by the demon child from hell :explode: :noway: :devil: :mad:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    For me it would have to the soup diet. The way it works is that you go into this place and order soup. If you mess up your order, you are banned for a year. That's a hard way to diet.

HAH! no soup for YOU!!
  • lmdeluca
    Options
    The liquid predigested protien diet from the 70s, my sister did this one YUCK!

As far as a low carb diet my mother in law had all kinds of health problems like fibromialgia and diabetes.
    She was on all kinds of meds that made her wacked!
    Anyway her DR put her on A low carb diet and excercise for about a year (in addition to using only certain other products like toiletry stuff ect.) She lost 65 lbs. and takes no meds now. I have done LOW carb also. I think depending on your situation this is a great diet. Most people think of it as a NO carb diet and thats the problem. It's when you don't check into how to do it properly and don't research that you end up doing in an unhealthy way. You need to check with your Dr, and realize that there are simple carbs(bad) and complex carbs(good). Our foods these days are so processed( white flour, white rice, white sugar) that they tend to be high in simple carbs. Raw fruits and veggies, whole grains, brown and wild rice, raw nuts ect will have the healthy complex carbs in them.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I went on a 3 day diet someone referred to as the icecream and beets diet.

Lose 10 lbs in 3 days!

You had to eat the exact foods, at the exact time. I dont remember much but like you had to have an egg, a slice of bacon and a whole grapefruit for lunch.

I did lose 10 lbs in 3 days and was out of work for a week. I had the worst migrain in my life (and i have had some doozies!) turns out I was dehydrated...there was nothing on the paper about drinking water.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ive never dieted,
    i just lost weight exercising and now with mfp
    Its worked amazingly
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    For me it would have to the soup diet. The way it works is that you go into this place and order soup. If you mess up your order, you are banned for a year. That's a hard way to diet.

HAH! no soup for YOU!!

Hey...that's my line.:angry::laugh: :laugh:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    That master clense with where you only drink a mixture of water, lemon juice, maple syrup and cayanne pepper. That's been really popular in California for the past year or so. I know a lot of people who've tried it, but none of them kept the weight off or changed any bad habits afterward.

Not healthy, just stupid.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I former boss of mine was on the atkin "diet" and I would just howl to myself everytime I saw it. We'd go out to eat and she'd order a plate of steak covered with cheese rather than a steak and cheese sub. She would gourge herself on cheese, macadamia nuts, and beef jerkey. Once when she came to my home, I made meat and cheese roll-ups in order to accommodate her dietary needs. They were just meat and cheese stuffed with a few green pepper slices and some sprouts....she removed the green peppers and sprouts. I mean she would not get within 10 feet of a fruit or vegetable.

I was torn between disgust and amusement. Although there may be some benefit to Atkins if it is done correctly, I can't beleive that was the original intent.

Honestly, I can't think of a fad diet that doesn't strike me a ridiculous.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes the soup diet -- totally crazy.
    Coffee and steak diet -- oh yes, my father-in-law did that one

I can't stand atkins diet -- not crazy -- dangerous. The above are at least short-term -- atkins isn't.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I could handle a steady diet of soup, shes a hawtie. :bigsmile:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I could handle a steady diet of soup, shes a hawtie. :bigsmile:

:blushing: :smooched:

psssttt...here's your $10 bucks BEFORE.