HRM eye opener

Options
2»

Replies

• SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most machines if not all are about 12% to 20% more than you actually burn. Each person has their own BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), and they are all different. So they are calibrated as best they can since they are not calibrated to a specific person, but as whole. I would do a search on the HRM's there are so many out there different people have different opinions. I have had several, the best ones are the ones that actually fit around your chest or the Bodybugg types, they tend to be more expensive and some of them have a monthly, yearly fee to allow you to access their online programs. The ones you were on your wrists and use your fingers to get your pulse are good, but they are not as accurate as the others.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I picked up a New Balance HRM at Target for about $65, I think? It says it has a smaller/slimmer band for women, not sure how important that is but it is very comfy, I put it on and don't even notice it on. The wrist part fits me too, which is important because it's very hard to find a watch or bracelet that isn't too large, so that was a nice surprise - I expected the wrist band to not adjust down small enough.

It says it's water resistant up to 50 meters but I am afraid to try it, but now I know how over-estimated my land calories are, I'm sure my water calories are as well....

The watch should be safe in the water but I think you'll find that the HRM won't work in the pool. There's not many HRMs that transmit at the frequency needed to get through the water and they're fairly expensive ;)
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that.... maybe I will just automatically cut the calories in half when logging them! I can feel my heart pumping harder when I am swimming so I know I am burning, but probably not as much as I would like, LOL!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well, swimming is a pretty good workout! If you're pushing yourself, I wouldn't cut them in half. I'd go off what a similar workout feels like on land and you're at least burning the same if not more. 8)
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    need one of those! are they expensive? which ones are good?

They are worth in to me
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Monitor-Bilingual/dp/B000E3XPYQ