Why Women Should Lift Weights

Options
2»

Replies

• txsarge17
    txsarge17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just sent this to my fiance, who started ChaLean Extreme this morning. Thanks for sharing that great information!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I saw NROL posted several times today so I looked into it and discovered that as well. My point was about the referenced isolation style bodybuilding program

There is a particular program on bodybuilding.com that focuses on the type of strength training I'm referring to, but yes, you're correct. Isolation exercises are definitely not as beneficial as compound exercises for strength training.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would agree with everything here and using weights is my favourite part of working out.

Well I've just ordered a bench with weights to get started at home

Now I need a website that can show me the best workouts to do. Any recommendations please?

Check out The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler--that is the program I am on right now. Also, you can check out bodybuilding.com. The program I am doing next is the link below. :smile:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I would check out StrongLifts 5x5 over a body building program. Body building programs are primarily for size not strength. And there is no reason a woman needs a different program from a man, our bodies work the same way.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Yep. ITA everything above. I don't know why so many women are afraid of weights. AS IF it were that easy to build BIG muscles!!! (I wish!!) I for one want to be strong, and have strong bones as I age. No freakin' "I fell down & I can't get up!" scenarios in MY future!! :smile:
  • spcondie
    spcondie Posts: 3
    Options
    I knew you'd say that, Bobert. :p

Thanks for doing the research and for sharing! It's amazing how much weight training helps. I'm going to get osteoporosis if I don't do more things to prevent it and I only recently discovered that weight lifting was just as high up there with taking calcium. Gotta do more than just packing kids around!