Saturated Fat

lazywriter
lazywriter Posts: 90
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Apparently, I eat too much of it. I'm not in panic mode because regardless I'm losing a steady 1-3(?!) lbs a week, for some reason, while consuming 1600+ calories a day and working out 2-3x week. But I would like to learn to eat healthier, not just for weight-loss reasons.

My diary is open to the public, but from what I see a large part of my saturated fats comes from my almost daily consumption of butter (whether I cook with it or use it), cheese, and mayo.

So I need substitutes for them that have less saturated fat. My problem is I don't want to be eating something that tastes like *kitten*. I'm sure you have this problem, too.

I've tried low-fat mayo. EUGH. EUGH EUGH EUGH. I might be willing to switch to another BRAND of mayo, but I'm terrified of gross mayo. I usually just use it in tuna, but lately I've been making turkey and ham sandwiches with half a tbsp at a time.

Butter. I normally just use it to cook eggs or melt over veggies, but I love my english muffins on my day off/weekends. Is there actually a butter substitute that tastes like butter? I don't think so...

I already drink 2% milk; I don't think I could move to nonfat; it's like water. Is there something I'm missing there?

Replies

• Seanrach
    Seanrach Posts: 3
    Try canola or olive oil for your eggs and veggies. Don't switch to a butter substitute. They all have things in them that are worse for you than saturated fat. Good luck!
  • NikkiJean86
    NikkiJean86 Posts: 28 Member
    i like to use the laughing cow cheese for subsitue of mayo. I use it alot on my sandwhiches and mix with tuna/ not bad. :)
  • LiciaHarry
    LiciaHarry Posts: 25 Member
    Saturated fat is necessary in your diet. Don't cut it out. Instead, look at the amount of grains you're eating and consider cutting back on those, if not completely eliminating them. (look up Mark's Daily Apple, there are some guides to fats there)

If you'd rather try something other than butter, replace it with organic virgin coconut oil. There's a definite coconut flavor, but it's very good as a butter substitute - even in cooking.

Just caught that part about milk - go to whole milk. Seriously!

And to catch anyone who's tempted to argue about saturated fats - my own physician was appalled that I have switched to a high-fat, low-carb diet, until he saw that over the last 8 months my cholesterols and triglycerides have fallen into exactly where they should be. I am also a Type 2 diabetic (thanks to the typical American diet), and have had my A1C levels drop below 6 due to taking grains out of my diet. Also have dropped (albeit slowly) 47 pounds in those 8 months.

Please read up on it online - there are many people who are doing the leg work for you, bucking the conventional wisdom concerning fats v. grains. Look up Mark Sisson, Robb Wolff, Loren Cordain, and watch "FatHead - the Movie".
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Try using light mayo with flavourings (garlic, chives etc), light butter or low fat spreads. If you're loosing...I wouldn't be worrying too much because it tastes good and the weights going - win win situation!! :) But, if you want to learn to cook with less of it etc, try getting a low fat cook book or something that will show you different ways to cook. Also, a good oil to use could be something we have in the UK called FryLight? It's 1 calorie a spray!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Saturated fat is not as bad for you as everyone thinks. Read this: http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

I eat full fat dairy, real butter eggs daily and steaks. My cholesterol and triglycerides have improved (was not bad to begin with though) and I am losing more weight than i was on low/no fat products.
  • lazywriter
    lazywriter Posts: 90
    Thank you so much everyone! I guess I won't worry too much. :)
  • End6ame
    Saturated fat is necessary in your diet. Don't cut it out. Instead, look at the amount of grains you're eating and consider cutting back on those, if not completely eliminating them. (look up Mark's Daily Apple, there are some guides to fats there)

If you'd rather try something other than butter, replace it with organic virgin coconut oil. There's a definite coconut flavor, but it's very good as a butter substitute - even in cooking.

And to catch anyone who's tempted to argue about saturated fats - my own physician was appalled that I have switched to a high-fat, low-carb diet, until he saw that over the last 8 months my cholesterols and triglycerides have fallen into exactly where they should be. I am also a Type 2 diabetic (thanks to the typical American diet), and have had my A1C levels drop below 6 due to taking grains out of my diet. Also have dropped (albeit slowly) 47 pounds in those 8 months.

Please read up on it online - there are many people who are doing the leg work for you, bucking the conventional wisdom concerning fats v. grains. Look up Mark Sisson, Robb Wolff, Loren Cordain, and watch "FatHead - the Movie".

Thank you for providing this information. My own research has lead me to the same conclusions and I have become an advocate of full fat (real) products over the so called “healthy” alternatives that are being pushed on us for many of the reasons you have stated.
  • End6ame
    Try canola or olive oil for your eggs and veggies. Don't switch to a butter substitute. They all have things in them that are worse for you than saturated fat. Good luck!

Canola oil (and any other oil with polyunsaturated fats) actually goes rancid when exposed to heat, I would stay clear of that as well.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Olive oil, coconut oil, real butter.

There's really no need to use substitutes, just portion correctly.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Haha, I'm the opposite. I need to find ways to eat more saturated fat w/o the carbs. My main food is rotisserie chick w/ skin. I bought a whole coconut to eat. Boy, is it a lot of work to cut up a whole coconut. Not sure how much saturated fat I got from all that work.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Haha, I'm the opposite. I need to find ways to eat more saturated fat w/o the carbs. My main food is rotisserie chick w/ skin. I bought a whole coconut to eat. Boy, is it a lot of work to cut up a whole coconut. Not sure how much saturated fat I got from all that work.

I'm lazy and buy the coconut milk in the can :laugh:

Mature coconuts are ridiculous to open up. Almost drilled a hole in my finger trying to open one up when I was in high school. Gah... The young, Thai coconuts are apparently a lot easier to open up but I haven't come across one to purchase and try it out!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    You should really be eating minimal saturated fats, as it will negatively effect your cholesterol. I try to keep under 10 grams/ day. I use cooking spray to cook eggs or a tiny bit of olive oil to cook most anything else in a skillet. I also use 1% milk. I can't do skim--nasty. I buy low fat cheeses and use light Miracle Whip. I like the Laughing Cow idea someone else posted, tho!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Apparently, I eat too much of it. I'm not in panic mode because regardless I'm losing a steady 1-3(?!) lbs a week, for some reason, while consuming 1600+ calories a day and working out 2-3x week. But I would like to learn to eat healthier, not just for weight-loss reasons.

My diary is open to the public, but from what I see a large part of my saturated fats comes from my almost daily consumption of butter (whether I cook with it or use it), cheese, and mayo.

So I need substitutes for them that have less saturated fat. My problem is I don't want to be eating something that tastes like *kitten*. I'm sure you have this problem, too.

I've tried low-fat mayo. EUGH. EUGH EUGH EUGH. I might be willing to switch to another BRAND of mayo, but I'm terrified of gross mayo. I usually just use it in tuna, but lately I've been making turkey and ham sandwiches with half a tbsp at a time.

Butter. I normally just use it to cook eggs or melt over veggies, but I love my english muffins on my day off/weekends. Is there actually a butter substitute that tastes like butter? I don't think so...

I already drink 2% milk; I don't think I could move to nonfat; it's like water. Is there something I'm missing there?

Saturated fats are not bad for you.........

Read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/245349-saturated-fats-are-good-for-you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100410-saturated-fats-not-the-enemy?hl=fats+is+not+the+enemy&page=1#posts-1386653

Some articles for your reading pleasure and edcation about the heathfulness of eating saturated fats.............

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.preventionisbest.com/site/saturatedfat.html

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
  • Grokette
    You should really be eating minimal saturated fats, as it will negatively effect your cholesterol. I try to keep under 10 grams/ day. I use cooking spray to cook eggs or a tiny bit of olive oil to cook most anything else in a skillet. I also use 1% milk. I can't do skim--nasty. I buy low fat cheeses and use light Miracle Whip. I like the Laughing Cow idea someone else posted, tho!

Sorry but this is false. An increased intake of saturated fats is quite well known to positively affect your lipid profile, especially the HD cholesterol.
  • Grokette

Canola oil (and any other oil with polyunsaturated fats) actually goes rancid when exposed to heat, I would stay clear of that as well.

Thank You!!!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Saturated fat is necessary in your diet.

I thought "hydrogenated" was the one to avoid in our dietary.

I thought Saturdated was good.
  • Grokette

That Canola oil is way worse for you than saturated fat. At least saturated fat is a natural occurring fat that is not processed.......

Look up the amount of processing that must occur to make canola oil and it is known to cause chronic inflammation.
  • End6ame

Read the post by LiciaHarry above. These are the benefits of saturated fats.
  • Grokette

HIGH Five!!!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156

Sorry but this is false. An increased intake of saturated fats is quite well known to positively affect your lipid profile, especially the HD cholesterol.

My information is from the dietician I saw due to my elevated cholesterol. By really paying attention to my intake of saturated fats, I was able to bring all of my lipid levels to normal or very close to it. I'm not the expert, but I'm just sharing what I have learned. I'm not saying eliminate, just limit. I will look at the links at some point. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.