Egg Whites - help me love them!

Options
I love eggs. But egg whites, do absolutely nothing for me. I just think they have NO flavor and seasonings just don't seem to help it any.

Should I just go with egg beaters or something? Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• red4560
    red4560 Posts: 32
    Options
    Boil them and and chop them up and add them to a salad! Balsamic vinagrette is a tasty choice to a salad and the texture of egg whites is pretty good with tomatoes and leaf lettuce! Yum!
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    How are you making them? I just make mine like I would a regular egg (frying it in the pan with a quick spray of Pan then turning it over until its done) I also throw about a gallon of tabasco on them LOL.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to eat egg whites? They are lower in calorie but also lack the nutrition found in the egg yoke.

One thing that might help is if you scramble your eggs, use 1 full egg and 2 egg whites.

In general though, I don't see a whole lot of point to just egg whites or any reason you should like them.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters are just egg whites with food coloring (for the most part). Separating your own is much cheaper.

Are you eating them plain? I like to make Egg Mugs out of them. Chop up a bunch of veggies microwave. Mix in some laughing cow cheese. Can't say they take like eggs, but they are good.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can't stand eggs without the yolk so I have switched to egg beaters. I'll be honest and say that they kinda have a twang to them. I usually cook them up with some bell peppers, mushrooms and onions! Yummy!
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You could work your way up to just egg whites. If you eat two eggs, do one with the yolk and one without for a while, and then at some point, eliminate both yolks.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I tried egg beaters but too much sodium for me.

I mix at least one whole egg in with 4 whites.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I really like the egg beaters in flavors (I get the garden vegetable and the southwestern). I mix 1/4 c. of beaters and a couple egg whites so it all takes on the same flavor.

I've used just whites too, but I saute some veggies first, then have the whites with a little garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and I use about a TBSP of water and mix in some turmeric and then beat it in with the whites. It isn't as good as beaters, but edible.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Kirkland Signature (Costco) Real Egg Product.

It's similar to Egg Beaters -- basically egg whites -- but with some natural yellow color added. Comes in a carton, like beaten eggs. Makes great omelets with spinach, a little cheese, salsa, mushrooms, low sodium turkey bacon, whatever. It's cheaper in the Costco box of 8 cartons, than at the Walmart or other grocery store. Check out the nutrition:

Serving Size: 1/4 cup (equal to one egg)

Calories 30
    Total Fat 0 g
    Saturated 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 120 mg
    Potassium 0 mg
    Total Carbs 1 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 6 g
    Vitamin A 15%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2%
    Iron 6%

Only 30 cals, 0 fat, 1g carb and 6 grams of protein! I usually make 2-3 servings.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    saute some bellpeppers, mushrooms, and onions and mix in them. Yum!
  • nkny78
    nkny78 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have egg whites with pepper jack cheese and tomatoes.. so gooood
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    OH you HAVE to jazz up egg whites if you don't like them like me. I personally love a WHOLE egg.

Make an omelet or frittata:

I throw in salt, pepper, 1 strip of bacon (if you eat meat), sharp cheddar or havarti (my fav!) and spinach in my omelet and top with spicy salsa it's soooo yummy!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    When making eggs, limit yourself to one whole egg and do the rest with egg whties. The egg yolk has a lot of good stuff you don't want to miss out on, but more than one is a little too much of the good stuff!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I tried egg beaters but too much sodium for me.

I mix at least one whole egg in with 4 whites.

1/4 c. egg beaters = 115 mg. sodium

1/4 c. egg whites (2 eggs whites) = 110 mg. sodium

I suffer and take the extra 5 mg. of sodium.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    try having one whole egg and like 3 egg whites ..cuts a lot of the calories and fat etc ....and still taste great
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Eat the whole egg! The yolk is where the majority of the nutrients are!! And it tastes sooo much better!
  • starranger
    starranger Posts: 10
    Options
    My question is why put something in your mouth you don't like. We are restricting our calories as it is... why eat something we don't love. find the value in egg whites and find a comparable food you like better.
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    For lack of academic resources, here's a link to webmd about the yolk containing much of the nutrients. Yes, the whites have much of the protein, but at 70cal/egg, one or two every other day is not a significant source of calories to where you have to deprive yourself of any flavor whatsoever.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/eggs-8-healthy-facts
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I just eat the yolks, too. Then I like my eggs. I just don't eat a huge number of them.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tomatoe, onion and bell pepper!!! YUM!!!! Also have done the one whole egg and 1 egg white