Egg Whites - help me love them!

Options

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    another vote for the liquid eggs. I buy the wm brand. Been eating them for awhile, mostly because i have (egg issues). I can't really notice a taste difference at all. They are real eggs.
  • LyssaMarie13
    Options
    I make mine scrambled. Do 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg! Then you still get some nutrition and less calories and it fills you.Also try adding onion or garlic. I like to use dry minced onion/garlic. Also if you like hot things. Try putting crushed red peppers in them! It's a great way to get your metabolism started in the morning! Salsa is also great to put on top! hope that helps.
    ~Alyssa
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of nutritional benefits in the yolk. Like others have suggested, do one whole egg with a few whites, it doesn't taste much different from regular eggs that way, and you still get some of the nutritional benefit that is in the yolk, with less fat, and calories, than you would have with straight whole eggs.
  • JCoak1011
    JCoak1011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters. I scamble them with a few of the hormel real bacon bits (only 25 calories in a tbsp.) then I use the laughing cow cheese wedges to spread on toast and have an awesome egg sandwich.
    I also will use a mediterannian (sp?) seasoning and slice some tomatoes with the garlic cheese wedge for variety.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I too always wonder why people don't just eat whole eggs? Everything good for you in an egg, is in the yolk. They are higher calories yes...but those calories come with so much good stuff, they're not going to hurt you whatsoever. Your body will spend more calories breaking it down then it intakes from eating them.

I am the lightest I've been in the last ten or so years (down from 210lbs to 187lbs), and the first time I lost all this weight, I was eating six whole over medium eggs for breakfast EVERY DAY for an entire month. Cooked in whole salted butter no less.

*shrug*

Cris
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks aren't bad for you! They're full of good stuff! At only about 70 calories for a large egg, it isn't even bad on the calories!
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i usually add cheese, onions & peppers to mine. sometimes spinach too.
  • AndreaWard
    AndreaWard Posts: 33
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash seasonings on mine. When I eat eggs I eat 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites. This also helps with the flavor. I hope that helps a little. I love how I make my eggs because I used to think they were blah as well.
    According to the USDA it is safe for an average adult to have 1 whole egg a day. There is also a lot of cholesterol in whole eggs.
    Here is a website on eggs:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-Whites-vs-Whole-Eggs-7291034

Good Luck with the weight loss and congrats on the 2 lbs so far!
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    try having one whole egg and like 3 egg whites ..cuts a lot of the calories and fat etc ....and still taste great

This is what I do. Helps a lot, and still tame on calories.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I mix one egg white and one whole egg with a splash of tabasco sauce, pepper and scramble it up. I put the eggs in a warm taco size tortilla with a slice of reduced fat cheese and salsa. Add a cup of coffee and it's my favorite meal of the day.:smile:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol. Mine is really high. That is why I don't eat the yolk, but if I didn't have cholesterol issues, I wouldn't worry about eliminating it from my diet.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    For everyone saying that yolks are harmless... for some of us, 200 mg. of cholesterol on something we'll eat first thing in the AM and have only 100 mg. of cholesterol left for the day (less for me, because I have high cholesterol) is just not an option...
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    multiple studies are finding that the cholesterol in eggs is NOT what raises our cholesterol. It is the hydrogenated fat and other crap we put into our bodies.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    To answer why I my asking about egg whites....when I don't like them.

I can do ok for lunch and dinner. But I'm struggling a little with breakfast. I tend to not get protein in. I like eggs and they are good protein so I wanted to add them into the mix but it just seemed like it's all about egg whites. And they seem so high in fat with yolk, at last from what I see here.

I could probably do a mixture of egg and whites and some other things for flavor.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    To answer why I my asking about egg whites....when I don't like them.

I can do ok for lunch and dinner. But I'm struggling a little with breakfast. I tend to not get protein in. I like eggs and they are good protein so I wanted to add them into the mix but it just seemed like it's all about egg whites. And they seem so high in fat with yolk, at last from what I see here.

I could probably do a mixture of egg and whites and some other things for flavor.

Eggs are a healthy fat, if you don't like plain egg whites, then just eat the egg.
  • Kierae
    Kierae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of egg whites mixed with 1/2 cup cooked steel cut oats is a go to breakfast. I sometimes add a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I prefer savory (and spicy) and like to add hot sauce too. My husband prefers his version sweet. Bottom line is whole grains and protein = great breakfast!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    My Aunt and Uncle are on a really strict no fat diet (for whatever reason), so they use egg beaters too! My Aunt buys that spice: Mrs. Dash, and mixes it in before she scrambles their eggs. They always turn out great!
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    If you aren't eating eggs everyday then there is no problem with eating a whole egg. Or you can always take 2 eggs and use the whites of both but only one yolk, this can lower calories. You just have to watch how you are cooking them. Instead of butter use Pam or the Smart Balance Omega http://www.smartbalance.com/products/oils-and-cooking-sprays/omega-non-stick-cooking-spray, thats the one I use.
    Or you can always throw a little cheese on your egg whites! Atheno's reduced fat sundried tomato feta cheese with cherry tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms= Yum! :)
    I've been giving Eggbeaters a try. So far, so good! 30 calories for 1/4 of a cup which equals 1 large egg.
    Good Luck!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I should show this to my doctor and nutritionist. They are both the ones telling me to not eat egg yolks and other stuff of course.