Protein Powder

Options
2»

Replies

• katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I never really understand the point of protein supplements. Per gram of protein, they're so expensive compared to real foods (eg. tuna, low fat yogurt, cottage cheese). Is there something I'm mis understanding? Is the powdered protein better in any way. I could maybe understand it if it had a mix of different amino acids or something, but most of it seems to be made from whey, so I can't imagine it's any better than eating low fat dairy products.

Whey protein also gets absorbed into your system quicker than say a piece of chicken. Plus most of them have 20 plus grams of protein per scoop....MUCH more than you will get in food! Like for my goals I want to get around 100-125 grams of protein a day...sometimes that is hard to do with just food!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I drink EAS 100% Whey Protein (in chocolate) after my workouts in the early AM and I drink Optiumum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein (in chocolate supreme - gotta get my chocolate :laugh:) on the nights before I do strength training. I tend to mix with soy milk, just because I've found both hard to get down mixing with just water but I'm thinking about giving water another try.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I use ON natural vanilla - no artificail sweetners.. 130 per serving and I also use shakeology chocolate 140 calories per serving.

I enjoy both with unsweetened almond or coconut milk.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I drink EAS 100% Whey Protein (in chocolate) after my workouts in the early AM and I drink Optiumum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein (in chocolate supreme - gotta get my chocolate :laugh:) on the nights before I do strength training. I tend to mix with soy milk, just because I've found both hard to get down mixing with just water but I'm thinking about giving water another try.

I blend my protein powder with water and a half of a frozen banana in my magic bullet blender! Its like a milk shake! Try that! I actually look foward to my shakes!
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use mostly Visalus (my hubby is a distributor....so lmk if you want to try some!!!)...and sometimes Body Fortress.
  • PrincessBTits
    PrincessBTits Posts: 198
    Options
    Weider Soy Isolate (vanilla flavor) I also have protein bars (power bar protein plus) in my gym bag for when I am not near a blender.

Without protein powder/bars there's no way I'm coming close to getting the amounts I need on lifting days.
  • nanna7400
    nanna7400 Posts: 9
    Options
    nectar is good 100 cal 0fat 1carb 0sugar 23 pro big selection of flavors
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options

I blend my protein powder with water and a half of a frozen banana in my magic bullet blender! Its like a milk shake! Try that! I actually look foward to my shakes!
    Mmm...chocolate covered bananas! :laugh: I may give this a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've tried Optimum Nutrition as well as Dymatize Elite Whey and they are both good but this time I wanted something without artificial sweeteners. I ordered a custom blend mix of vanilla flavored whey protein isolate with stevia on trueprotein.com
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I use ON After Max after my workouts.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar. It is awesome tasting and has 23 g of protein per scoop. Also, ZERO carbs and ZERO sugar and only 90 calories. I have 3 different flavors in my cupboard right now. This morning drank Fuzzy Navel before lifting weights and Caribbean Cooler after! Love it!
  • zuzka
    zuzka Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use Phd Diet Whey. Love all of them as they dont have any artificial after taste and calories are pretty low too- only 98 cal and 18g of protein per 1 scoop.