Anyone make their own yogurt?

Options
13»

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    OK, here's how it is working.
    1/2 gallon of 2% milk. Heat to 185F stirring constantly (use double boiler if possible). Cool to 120F in ice water bath. Take out 2 cups of warm milk and add 1 cup fat free plain greek style yogurt (at room temp) and 3/4 cup powdered milk. Mix gently and pour back into the rest of the milk. Put into crock pot that has been pre-warmed. Unplug crock pot and set it on a heating pad set to low. By this time the milk is at 110F (the perfect temp). Put lid on the crock pot and wrap in heavy bath towels. 8 hours later you have a thick greek style yogurt. I drain the whey with a jelly straining stand/cloth bag. This makes 32 oz of fantastic yogurt.

Thank you so much for the step-by-step instructions. Can't wait ti try it!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a successful adventure! Sounds yum!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, but after I refrigerated my last batch of yogurt, it was way too thick. I think my next batch I'll not drain out as much whey. This stuff was thicker than sour cream but soooooooooo goooooooood!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm really tempted to do this, I think I should just try it once just to be able to say I did it. When I get down to my last 1/2 cup, I can decide whether to eat it or have it contribute to the next batch.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm really tempted to do this, I think I should just try it once just to be able to say I did it. When I get down to my last 1/2 cup, I can decide whether to eat it or have it contribute to the next batch.

I like to make my own because it's so much cheaper than buying store-bought yogurt. Like exponentially cheaper. And then since I made it, I know exactly what's in it and I can control how much sugar it contains. It's definitely worth it. Go for it!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i dont use a crockpot
    i just have natural yogurt bacteria that my mom got somewhere.
    you boil 2% regular milk, let it cool to just a slight warmth, put it in a jar, add a spoonfull of old bacteria and you have yogurt the next day

this does not work with commercial yogurt. you need to get proper natural yogurt or kefir bacteria. im presuming... natural health food store?
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I made this over the weekend using my crockpot and 1% milk. (I did add a packet of unflavored gelatin since I used the lower fat milk.)

It is wonderful! I won't eat plain store-bought yogurt--I just don't like it--but this is great. Just a bit of a tang and great in recipes, too.

Thank you so much for the link!
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    this does not work with commercial yogurt. you need to get proper natural yogurt or kefir bacteria. im presuming... natural health food store?

I've used both the yogurt mix (Yo'gourmet from Whole Foods) and Dannon Plain Yogurt. Both worked well but if you want thicker greek style, you have to add powdered milk to the Yo'gourmet mix. The Dannon worked the best for me.
    Paul
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    oh really? are you in the US or the EU? cuz I know canadian store bought has never worked for me.... in the EU i am able to make it all the time.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    I use Dannon Greek Style, I'm in the US. You have to make sure it is PLAIN, no sugar, sweeteners or flavors.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I used plain commercially-bought yogurt to make mine. Tillamook plain yoogurt (US). Worked grat and I need to make more!
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump for later--never made it but want to try. Also just figured out the "bump" thing. Now I need to see if it works.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate the calories for it?
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i've never made homemade yogurt.is it easy to make?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate the calories for it?

I just use database entries for plain yogurt. If you use whole milk like I do, there's an entry for "plain whole milk yogurt" and I use that. I also sometimes strain mine to make it Greek-style, and I use the database entry for "plain whole milk Greek Yogurt" -- I think there's a brand name associated with that one though. But I figure it's close, if not 100% accurate. You can also get technical and look up the information for whey (which is what you strain out to make it thicker) and then subtract that from the totals for your plain yogurt batch, but that's too much work for me.

Raven1114, it's very easy! Give it a try!
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later...gotta go to bed now and get my sleep:yawn: