Would you have surgery?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I am amazed how many people on here suggest tummy tucks to get rid of stretched post baby skin.

I would never in a million years have unnecessary/non-essential surgery involving a general anaesthetic. I had one once to have my appendix out, and never again! Also I don't like the idea of changing my natural body, no matter what I don't like about it. I wouldn't even have a brace to straighten my teeth as a teenager.

So would you have surgery if money was no object, and what would you have done if yes?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Surgery no probably not unless it was to fix a deformity, braces yes I did have those and they are the best present my parents ever got me. To smile without teeth all over the place in my mouth, you just don't understand how much of a confidence boost that is, it's like curing a teenagers acne and there is nothing wrong with that.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to improve your appearance, but if someone doesn't want to mess with what they have then I support that too.

I will be getting a breast augmentation next year. I am not necessarily unhappy or self conscious about my chest now, it has just always been something I have wanted to do for myself.

I also fully support people wanting to get braces and other dental work- I am in school to be a dental hygienist :)
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    To fix my teeth, yes. Any thing else, no. Unless it was life threatening.
  • Cadenpet
    Cadenpet Posts: 79
    Options
    Absolutely. I don't think its a fast fix. I've lost my weight on my own. But after losing almost 40 lbs my boobs are the same size they always were. I would take them down to a proportional size give them a little lift and probably a shot of botox in my forehead. I'm too young to have the angry face.

But that would be my choice. And I would do it because I want to. Same as you chose not to.
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'd do it. The way I see it, if something makes you uphappy, change it. As long as you don't go overboard and get obsessive (i.e. that whooole Jackson clan) then it's all good.
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    no i wouldnt. i would deff try as many natural melodies that i could before even consider surgery! but if i lost tons and tons of weight and had a bunch of extra flabby skin on my stomach and arms and legs then yes i would have surgery to remove that skin.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    oh yes...I think I would. Tummy tuck if I had an apron of skin, boob job if I end up with stone in sock boobies. I'm not the most confident and I'd take all the help I can get.

I knew a girl who had a tummy tuck...just removing the excess skin from her 4 pregnancies took her down 2 full dress/trouser sizes, she could literally tuck her draping crepe tummy skin in her knickers...if I ended up with that problem then yes, too darn right I'd be signing up for surgery
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would. It's already occurred to me that when I get to my goal, I may have extra skin I can't shake. If it bothers me, I will get some estimates and look at my options. I would never do it for weight loss, but I would do it to resolve a cosmetic issue that is impacting my self confidence.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Not anything drastic, like to change my face or something... But yeah, I wouldn't mind giving the "ladies" a bit of a lift so they are back where they were pre-baby and pre-breastfeeding. :laugh: But really, I would probably chicken out even if money wasn't an object...
  • Panda86
    Options
    oh yes...I think I would. Tummy tuck if I had an apron of skin, boob job if I end up with stone in sock boobies. I'm not the most confident and I'd take all the help I can get.

I knew a girl who had a tummy tuck...just removing the excess skin from her 4 pregnancies took her down 2 full dress/trouser sizes, she could literally tuck her draping crepe tummy skin in her knickers...if I ended up with that problem then yes, too darn right I'd be signing up for surgery

Stone-in-sock boobies! HA HA HA HA HA :laugh: I am sorry, but that struck me as hilarious!
  • Panda86
    Options
    Oops, clicked "post" twice :)
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know what's involved and I understand the risks but the fact is; I've been fat most of my life, I've had 2 C-sections, I'm 43 years old and when I'm at my goal weight I know from experience my tummy is not gonna be pretty (neither are the girls). So, if had the extra $ I certainly would; tummy tuck and breast lift. I'd be scared to death but I'd do it.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would like to look into doing something about my chin and neck area. Even though I'm not THAT old, I am thinking the "Lifestyle Lift" is in order when I lose all the weight...unless it all goes away on it's own. I just don't want a waddle and I think one may very well be in store for me, so I will do whatever is necessary to make that not the case.
  • Time2BSkinny
    Options
    I'm not really sure. Maybe? And I'm all for anyone wanting to improve their appearance as long as it isn't done in an unhealthy manner.

As for braces, I had them for 2 years along with numerous retainers. They were a pain in the *kitten* but I am so happy I had that done! :)
  • ElyMaeOR
    ElyMaeOR Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I certainly would. I have lost 163lbs to date and no matter how much I exercise I cannot get rid of the excess skin. It is disgusting and makes me feel like my weight loss effort is a waste. As a side note... Braces are the best thing that could have happened to me and I recommend them to people with teeth issues, for your sake and the sake of others looking at you. Ha ha ;)
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    Yes and I am planning on it.. my only probably is anesthesia has always been risky. But having a pouch after 4 babies and skin problems from it already is not cutting it...
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I respect the stance of being "natural," but after having three kids in four years, then breastfeeding each of them for over a year, if I got a chance to trade in Flopsy & Mopsy for Perky & Happy, I'd take it! And I'd also like to get rid of my kangaroo-pooch. It's like a balloon that got left behind the couch last New Year's -- and now it looks extremely unhappy. Thanks for this thread, it's definitely interesting to see what people say. :smile:
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I used to think "Never!", but now I firmly believe that if I had the money TO SPARE, I would definitely have the "Apron Belly" taken care of, my boobs lifted, and my jowls taken care of. Otherwise, I am pretty happy with myself, and know that I can correct some of the problems through diet and exercise. What I can't do on my own, I would certainly have surgery. Lifestyle lift? Tummy tuck?

I know I will never have the "extra" money, so it's all a pipe dream, I suppose!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I don't think its a fast fix. I've lost my weight on my own. But after losing almost 40 lbs my boobs are the same size they always were. I would take them down to a proportional size give them a little lift and probably a shot of botox in my forehead. I'm too young to have the angry face.

But that would be my choice. And I would do it because I want to. Same as you chose not to.

Me too!!!