Would you have surgery?

Options

Replies

• kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    money aside, if you could guarantee no pain during recovery and no unfortunate scarring (I've had a bunch of surgeries already and I scar horribly 'keloids')......then yes I would. I don't love my appearance and would do a number of things to alter it. Not saying what. Just that I would.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Making another comment after reading these replies.

Ultimately, what's right for one person, may not be right for another. This is also the internet, so one person's yes means something different from another person's yes.

I say yes, but I would spend at least a year, more likely two, getting consultations, professional opinions, and conducting research before I would make an appointment. And all of this would be after unsuccessful natural attempts to lose the flappy skin. I don't hesitate to say I would do it, but it would hardly be a whim.

We also have different perspectives and reasons for this. It's clear from reading our replies some of us see this as a want and some as need, but we're also all on different missions and have different goals.
  • KCB1978
    KCB1978 Posts: 113
    Options
    I have been offered surgery on the NHS and I have told my doctor that I would only consider it as a very last resort! :noway:
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Yes, I'm losing all this weight for health reasons, but I'd be lying (and I think manyof us would be too) if we failed to mention that part of it is for vanity as well. Let's face it..we WANT to look good in addition to being healthy. I want to know what it's like to take my shirt off at the beach and not feel uncomfortable. Actually, I want to know what it's like to take my shirt off and know that people are looking at me (in a good way!). Being the "fat kid" all my life, I never took my shirt off anywhere, and I was always self-conscious.

So, when I reach my goal weight and I have toned/lifted weights, etc and I still have excess saggy skin, you can be damn sure I'd get surgery to remove it. I'd do everything I can first to see if I can get rid of it in a natural way, but if that can't happen, then put me under the knife!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've had cosmetic surgery on my nose. I had an accident at 10, and the appropriate time came to where I could get it fixed to not only make it more aesthetically appealing, but more functional.
    I, however, wouldn't get something like lypo or a tummy tuck.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Posted twice ;)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think many if any have cosmetic surgery on a whim, but I do think it is a bit weird when we all say we are here for our health to do something so unhealthy as have major surgery for cosmetic reasons.

I also think that the more prevalent "corrective" surgery gets the more people will be dissatisfied with how they look naturally. It seems a bit Brave New World to me. Then again I would never get false nails or dye my hair either. I think for the most part happiness is accepting what you have been given biologically. After all, if you have a nose job, you are still going to have big nosed children. Would you want them to get surgery too? Just as an example.
  • fteale
    Options
    I've had cosmetic surgery on my nose. I had an accident at 10, and the appropriate time came to where I could get it fixed to not only make it more aesthetically appealing, but more functional.

Obviously I don't mean this kind of thing when I mentioned nose jobs. I mean not being happy with what you are born with.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't have cosmetic surgery. But that's MY choice. I don't like medicine and medical procedures in general, so I'm not going to go through that if it's not necessary for my health. But I don't see a problem with people who choose to do so. If something is making you very self-conscious and it can't be fixed naturally, if you have the money for it and choose to get surgery, I don't see a problem with that. It's nobody else's business.

The only time I have a problem with plastic surgery is when people are clearly addicted to it. Then I think it's more a case of body dysmorphia and there needs to be some kind of counseling rather than continued cosmetic procedures. But that's an entirely different topic.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would never go under the knife for cosmetic reasons. I'm happy with what I have and stretch marks are just a sign of my journey to good health. :)
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really for much surgery. I love seeing before and afters on weight loss and was on youtube one day. A girl had loss so much weight and was down to her goal. After seeing all of the excess skin she had I changed my mind very quickly. When you think excess skin you might think a little sagging or something. This was like a blanket hanging all around her. I felt soooo sorry for her. She went through all the work of losing the weight and this is what she is left with. So sad. In a case like that, I would say you really wouldn't know how it feels unless you are the person going through it. I know how I felt seeing it, and couldn't imagine having it.

Now something like facial surgeries, no I'm not for that unless it was for medical issues.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I am disgusted with the amount of haughty, opinionated and small thinking comments I have seen. For everyone that says they would never get "unnecessary cosmetic surgery" has never known a woman that lost her chest to breast cancer. They've never known a woman who was beat by her husband and left with a face that wasn't hers. Sure it's perfectly functional but getting corrective cosmetic surgery often helps heal people, it makes them feel like themselves. Who are we to judge? One comment I saw claimed that true happiness is loving our biological bodies. It is not up to one person to decide what everyone's happiness should be, that is and only can be 100% self defining. So get surgery or don't it's no one's business but your own. But to look down on someone because they did or would do something you wouldn't? You aught to be ashamed. As though people don't have enough to deal with than your petty, Harmful opinions.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Obviously I don't mean this kind of thing when I mentioned nose jobs. I mean not being happy with what you are born with.

But no one was born with an excessive amount of skin. I see no difference between fixing the aftermath from getting smashed in the nose with a football (*mental image of Marsha Brady*) and fixing the aftermath of a big weight loss. To not do so, when you have the means, seems like a form of self-abuse. It's like thinking, "I made myself fat, so this is my punishment for all eternity." A Scarlet Letter.

I'm not a huge fan of cosmetic surgery, either. I'm a "rock what you got" kinda girl with a biggish bum and small boobs, and I'm happy with my shape. But a lot of this falls more under the umbrella of "reconstructive" not purely "cosmetic."

Same can be said for getting braces. If your teeth are as crooked and crowded as mine were, it was impossible to clean them properly with all the overlapping going on. One of my canines never came down on it's own. It was impacted and had to be "captured" and pulled down over time with my braces. All four wisdom teeth were impacted and completely sideways. Not looking like a Jack O Lantern is nice, but it wasn't just a matter of cosmetics.
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No I would not have surgery not even if money wasn't a thing. God gave me what he gave me and I am working on it that natural way. I see my stretch marks as the scars of having my two wonderful handsome boys and it is a daily remember to me of how lucky I truly am to be a mom. :)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would consider a tummy tuck. My skin is stretched. I will have to see how my stomach looks after I lose more weight, but it's not looking like its going to snap back into place. I would do lost of research on it, but it's definitely not out of the question.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    You betch your bottom dollar I would! I'm 57 years old . . . wait a minute . . . (uses calculator to figured age) yeah 57 years old and this old skin is not going to rebound back. With the saggy boobs and saggy belly, you'd better believe I would have a boob lift and a tummy tuck after I reached my goal weight if I had the money to do it.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I don't regret getting my teeth straightened one bit, nor wearing contacts rather than glasses. Wish I was a candidate for laser surgery, but my eyes are too bad. I also love coloring my hair and wearing makeup.

If I had excess skin that wasn't going to go away, I'd sure as hell get that removed, too.

My sentiments exactly.

I wish I could get Lasik (but my eyes are also too bad and wouldn't get any benefit)...and I really wish I could've afforded braces growing up but my little space between my front teeth is what everyone tells me gives me character lol ::shrug::
  • fteale
    Options
    I have to say, I am disgusted with the amount of haughty, opinionated and small thinking comments I have seen. For everyone that says they would never get "unnecessary cosmetic surgery" has never known a woman that lost her chest to breast cancer. They've never known a woman who was beat by her husband and left with a face that wasn't hers. Sure it's perfectly functional but getting corrective cosmetic surgery often helps heal people, it makes them feel like themselves. Who are we to judge? One comment I saw claimed that true happiness is loving our biological bodies. It is not up to one person to decide what everyone's happiness should be, that is and only can be 100% self defining. So get surgery or don't it's no one's business but your own. But to look down on someone because they did or would do something you wouldn't? You aught to be ashamed. As though people don't have enough to deal with than your petty, Harmful opinions.

I haven't seen anyone here mention people who have had a mastectomy or been disfigured. Those are medical issues, not what is being talked about here at all. Besides, 95% of the replies here have said they WOULD have surgery, so where you think the haughty opinions are, I have no idea. Have you read the thread? A few people have said why THEY wouldn't have UNNECESSARY surgery. Most people have said hell YES! No one has said anything negative about anyone who does have surgery of any sort, especially not the kind of what I would say was pretty essential surgery you are talking about.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    If money was not the issue - I'd absolutely fix the damage that has been done to my midsection and chest. I'm proud of the body I've worked for and I'm proud of the life that I carried inside my body - but I'd much rather "show off" my children and smaller jeans than my stretch marks and saggy skin...
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    YES!! Where I have the big pooch of skin and it pulls on my c-secton scar. I just had 5 hernias repaired because of this. My doc said it is probably going to happen again. My belly hangs so bad I look like I have my *kitten* on backwards. So for medical reasons I definitely would have surgery.